3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Pro running discussion (Read 108 times)

Prince of Fatness

Indeed. The guy had some bloody diarrhea going on too.

One guy, who led for the first 35k or so, actually passed out got back up and eventually finished in 8th at 3:46.

Very Hurtlocker worthy.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Last night I was watching the replay of the Decathlon javelin and then they came out back on the track to run the 1500 (last event of the Decathlon).   Talk about giving it your all, they were all just wasted.  They ran two heats, lower ranked guys first then the higher ranked (including the medal contenders) in the 2nd heat.  Every single runner in heat 1 was laid out on the track including the guy who won that heat - a Japanese guy who ran 4:15 give or take a second.  I was amazed by the carnage in that first heat.  The second wasn't much better with I think only Ashton Eaton still standing and not laying full out on the track afterwards.  Check it out if you get a chance.    I searched for pictures of decathlon 1500 finish and found a very cool pic of the great Daly Thompson surrounded by guys who gave everything they had.  Hats off to the Decathletes.

I watched the 1500. Eaton had a 7 second cushion on the second place guy.  You could see him just sticking with him. Then he passed him on the last lap and finished in style. You could see that he was spent, just like the others. In an interview afterwards he said that he was sticking with that guy no matter the cost.  10 AM to 10 PM for two days. Damn.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Alright. You may give me shit for this one 

You're right.  We will.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Women's 5k coverage was awful.  Ayana running in the pack, go to commercial, come back, she's 50 yards out front.  She's blowing the pack away, then in the next to last lap all of a sudden the two Kenyans are blowing past her with no commentary or video on her being caught.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

Women's 5k coverage was awful.  Ayana running in the pack, go to commercial, come back, she's 50 yards out front.  She's blowing the pack away, then in the next to last lap all of a sudden the two Kenyans are blowing past her with no commentary or video on her being caught.

Agree. They also cut into the pole vault around that time. Can't you show that on delay after the race?  It's a 5K, no more than 15 minutes of coverage. Stay on it FFS. Real sucky coverage of that race.

The US women looked awesome in the 4 x 100. They made it look easy. The men can't seem to catch a break in that race.

And Bolt is unbelievable.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

The US women looked awesome in the 4 x 100. They made it look easy. The men can't seem to catch a break in that race.

And Bolt is unbelievable.

The US men in the 4X100 did pretty well this time, from what I saw.  Uncharacteristically they didn't drop the baton, they mixed it up with the Jamaicans, but they didn't come in with a half second lead on Bolt, which is the only way they could have won.

DAMN Centrowitz!!!  I'm not a big fan of pedestrian championship races, but he really had the chops to stand up there with the best kickers in the world and show them how it's done with a 50.X final lap.  And he had to lead most of the race.

Feeling the growl again

Once again, nobody has the balls to take the obvious strategy to beat Farah by making it an honest fast race, letting him take control with 4 laps to go.

And no Kenyans in the final??  Embarrassment to their selection process.

Nice to see a US medal though.

Centrowitz and Mo!!!  Incredible races.

CR, I was shocked to learn that the 50k winner walked a 7:07 pace. 😳

C-R

Why do these guys continue to run Mo's race for him. We need a Pre in the 5k.

The dq is dodgy.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

The dq is dodgy.

Assuming this was the 4X100 DQ, I had missed this although I watched the race.  WTF.  How after all these years can our elites still be so terrible at relay exchanges?  Is this rocket science?  Perhaps we shouldn't have a dope head as our relay coach...

I mean, in high school, we practiced a few times on the infield, and we did better than the USA squad in world-level races...

Feeling the growl again

So I'm working off the DVR with corralling kids.  Maybe I'm slow.

Apparently 3 DQs at the front of the men's 5K, including the original silver medalist.  Shortly put Lagat in the bronze.  Now re-instating and pushing Lagat out of the medals.  But I think that's the right call.  Really, DQing a 5K runner for a single footfall half over the line when there is no curb barrier??? BS.

kcam

As they like to say over on LR ... Galen MF Rupp!

No doubt!  He put it out there and was hurting pretty good at the end.  Kipchoge really pushed it those late teen miles.

Still cant believe Centro. I just put that race on auto-replay. Insane..

Im not sure what Kiprop's plan was? Did he have one?

Souleiman actually had a chance to take the race from Centro at one point. But, let him slip back to the front. As Centro went legal Robbie Andrews to squeeze by.

Blankenship could have ran better. He seems to be the opposite of Kiprop.. too much focus on the plan / others.

More classic camera work.. Some guy at the back gets tripped... at the same time something happens with Kiprop and Centro at the front. They go to replay and show the fall 3x... What the hell happened at the front! My guess is just some bumping but.. really.. those guys at the back were not going to win.

With Mo.. They ran low 13. They took it out hard. Then started drifting back.  I dont think anybody else could, physically, stop Mo. I think hes just better. Its hard to beat one of the best ever. Chelimo was a beast. Ran an amazing race. He ran 1335 at the trails.. Not sure how you shave 30s off that time.

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

I am treading lightly here.  After multiple interesting races ruined by knowing the outcome in advance, I drew the line with the men's marathon and have distanced myself form all sites sharing results until I can watch it on DVR myself.  And I only allow myself to watch it if I am on the treadmill running.

The race is at Mile 17 and predictably boring at this point.  I am disappointed to see Meb having issues.  I hope to finish the race tomorrow (Tuesday).  At this point, it is pretty clear that Salazar told Rupp to tie a leash to Kiproch and let it play out.