3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

2013 Second Quarter Weight Loss Thread (Read 56 times)

C-R

I'm holding steady but had an interesting conversation with a PT this weekend during soccer (not that one spaniel - different one). Seems hes a bit of a supplements nerd and we were discussing weight loss. Seems while in his college, he learned that you can create mini-ketosis (think Atkins) by not eating for 1.5 to 2 hours post run. This is how the no-carb diet drops weight. He also mentioned that yuo can hit it really hard by fasting an hour prior to the workout.

There are some smart people in here. Anyone ever hear of this? Fact, fiction, BS?

BTW - I did this by accident today due to work and damn I felt puny this evening.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I have no idea if this is true or not.  However, I normally eat lunch at 12, run at 4, finish around 5, and don't have dinner done to eat until 6 to 7:30.  This is my schedule because it's convenient, though,

If I have been doing this by accident for the past year, well.

I'm holding steady but had an interesting conversation with a PT this weekend during soccer (not that one spaniel - different one). Seems hes a bit of a supplements nerd and we were discussing weight loss. Seems while in his college, he learned that you can create mini-ketosis (think Atkins) by not eating for 1.5 to 2 hours post run. This is how the no-carb diet drops weight. He also mentioned that yuo can hit it really hard by fasting an hour prior to the workout.

There are some smart people in here. Anyone ever hear of this? Fact, fiction, BS?

BTW - I did this by accident today due to work and damn I felt puny this evening.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

bhearn

Seems while in his college, he learned that you can create mini-ketosis (think Atkins) by not eating for 1.5 to 2 hours post run. This is how the no-carb diet drops weight. 

Well, that is how the no-carb diet *is claimed* to drop weight. In practice I believe most loss people actually see is water loss due to lost glycogen stores. Somebody correct me if I'm out of date here.

Ketosis BS or not, this is also the opposite of the usual advice to consume carbs and protein in a 4:1 ratio post-workout. The idea here is that you will absorb it more quickly then, due to high levels of glycogen synthase, (e.g. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12617691), and that you want this extra glycogen in your muscles to accelerate muscle repair and prepare you for the next workout.

Prince of Fatness

Well then,  we've ordered a Concept2.

Maybe the extra calories burned will help get the weight moving in the right direction.

Not to mention get some work done on the core and upper body strength!

After watching the technique video it appears that getting the form down takes quite a bit of

co-ordination.  Might take me a bit  of timeRoll eyes

Good luck!  I cannot say that it has helped me with weight loss but nothing will help me other than getting my diet under control.  I can say that it has helped with core strength.  There is a solid core under my flab, now I just need to remove the flab,

You'll get the hang of it.  It did not take me long.  One thing that I noticed is that it is similar to running in so much as you need to focus more on form the more fatigued that you get.

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Good luck!  I cannot say that it has helped me with weight loss but nothing will help me other than getting my diet under control.  I can say that it has helped with core strength.  There is a solid core under my flab, now I just need to remove the flab,

You'll get the hang of it.  It did not take me long.  One thing that I noticed is that it is similar to running in so much as you need to focus more on form the more fatigued that you get.

Thanks!

I think that in the last few days I've gotten my calorie consumption in hand.  Nothing like an imminent

visit to the in-laws with a 5k thrown in to get some motivation going.   I'm thinking that I'd do the rowing

later in the evenings when I rarely run any way and then continue running at my normal morning time.

I'm very glad to hear that it does work well for the core!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

I have avoided this thread like the plague since my injury; that was hard enough without stressing about the weight issue too.

My wife's very successful dieting recently must have f'd up my body image.  I finally bit the bullet and stepped on the scale this morning, expecting to see as high as 160 from how I felt....152.2.  I'm calling BS.  I'm going to drink a metric ton of water today, change the batteries, and do a for-real weigh-in tomorrow.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

178 again.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Greek cuisine at the Greek Orthodox Church tonight.

Not great for my diet but it is a twice a year opportunity that shouldn't be missed.

steph  

Prince of Fatness

So last week I thought that I did terribly and stayed the same.  This week I cracked down on the snacking and gained half a pound.  Sigh.

Menopause?

Not at it at all. 

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Menopause?

Enjoy Evil

steph  

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Not only was there Greek food with many desserts on Friday we spent the afternoon

visiting Athens yesterday.  Entirely too much food was consumed once again.

So, getting back on the diet wagon today!

steph  

flarunner

I missed last week, sorry.

So week ending 5/18 or 19: 121

Week ending 5/25 or 26: 121

Feeling the growl again

Carrying my younger daughter up to bed tonight:

"Daddy, your belly is really big.  You must have eaten a lot of food to get a belly that big.  When did your belly get so big, Daddy?"

Disapprove

Way to pile on, kiddo, way to pile on....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

158.5 this afternoon.  (Yeah, I stopped in at work on a day it was closed, just to weigh myself.  Doesn't everyone?)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau