3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

DoppleBock

Ice Age 50 Mile

Ran too fast the 1st 10-12 miles.  Regrouped my burnng legs to cruise control to recover and eat up mile until 9.8 miles to go then ran hard again to the finish in just under 90 minutes.   I ran most of the 1st 37 miles with flatfooter and off and on during that time with JJameson - Nice Day.  Drank beer with same group + Coorland and WG + miscellanseous other people.

7:47

@ 4,000 calories consumed in race

10 beers

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Ice Age 50 Mile

Ran too fast the 1st 10-12 miles.  Regrouped my burnng legs to cruise control to recover and eat up mile until 9.8 miles to go then ran hard again to the finish in just under 90 minutes.   I ran most of the 1st 37 miles with flatfooter and off and on during that time with JJameson - Nice Day.  Drank beer with same group + Coorland and WG + miscellanseous other people.

7:47

@ 4,000 calories consumed in race

10 beers

I think the beer total impresses me the most...I have no frame of reference for a 50-miler however.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I look my best blurry!

Mr. Miyagi never quite got on board for this one but I PRd by 1 min. Finished in 1:31:09 25/5563 and 2nd Masters. Sorry I can't impress anyone with a beer total. I need to get on that right now.

Ostrich runner

Well...I knew I wasn't ready for another 50k, but I had a good time. I ran until the 25.2 refreshments, sat for a few and ate, ran a half mile down trail, turned back to the rest stop, and called it a marathon. There was a section of road for a bit and that was what did in my feet and calves finally. I ran in NB101s which felt good for quite a few miles, but the lack of cushioning finally got to me. I felt really good until right before the bonk though. When I saw the sign at the rest area that said 25.2, I really expected it to say 27 or 28. I knew I was good for 3 more, but 6...well, I didn't want to completely bonk alone in the woods. Oh well. I think next weekend I'm going to do either the Geist Half again or Run With the Foxes. I'll probably decide in the next couple days.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Well...I knew I wasn't ready for another 50k, but I had a good time. I ran until the 25.2 refreshments, sat for a few and ate, ran a half mile down trail, turned back to the rest stop, and called it a marathon. There was a section of road for a bit and that was what did in my feet and calves finally. I ran in NB101s which felt good for quite a few miles, but the lack of cushioning finally got to me. I felt really good until right before the bonk though. When I saw the sign at the rest area that said 25.2, I really expected it to say 27 or 28. I knew I was good for 3 more, but 6...well, I didn't want to completely bonk alone in the woods. Oh well. I think next weekend I'm going to do either the Geist Half again or Run With the Foxes. I'll probably decide in the next couple days.

Does Geist allow late registration?  I'm on the fence myself.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I look my best blurry!

Anyone hear how Candice did yesterday?

Feeling the growl again

Anyone hear how Candice did yesterday?

No, I was wondering that too.  Didn't see it on facebook either.

MTA:  I can't find her time but apparently...she WON!

No, I was wondering that too.  Didn't see it on facebook either.

MTA:  I can't find her time but apparently...she WON!

Results were on Racers Hub...

She did WIN...1:31:45 official time. 

Ben was 2nd in 1:11:06.  1OA was 1:11:01...so damn close.

They both had a good showing.  Great job Schneiders!

Wowee!!!!!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Ostrich runner

Does Geist allow late registration?  I'm on the fence myself.

per geisthalf.com, registration is open until the field is filled, but no race weekend registration.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Yup, I won! Smile

I ended up going with my coaches advice of just running what I could tolerate. Looking more at the big picture and what not. It was easy to do on the first half with the 30 mph headwinds. I went out conservatively and figured if I felt like it I would pick it up. Going out conservatively, and at what felt tolerable, I still hoped that would maybe land me under 1:30. I was laughing and joking with the pace bike the entire time and talking back to spectators (I led for the whole race, the 2nd girl finished 55 seconds or so behind me) and at mile 10 I decided id try to start trying a little harder. So I did, but that was probably a little too late to be able to get under 1:30. Ben had ran out to meet me about a half mile from the finish and I was drilling him about how he did...he told me to finish my race. I've never been that coherent at the end of a half. I definitely left a lot on the course, which of course makes me a little frustrated with myself even though it was what I was told to do. I guess what im going to take from it is that last year when I ran my 1:30 PR, a 1:31 would have been a tougher effort than it was yesterday.

I did run my 25k PR pace though Wink (MTA: Actually, no I didn't. I ran 1 sec per mile slower than my 25k pr pace)

They are saying the course is long, so if they adjust the times then that will put my real time at 1:30high-ish. But im not counting on them doing that.

I won $175...and having got in for free, that's pretty awesome. Ben won $75, which really just doesn't seem fair...that, and they listed him as MY husband in the article instead of vise versa. I guess props go to the winners over the 2nd place people even if their times were much, much much more impressive. I am so proud of Ben (it was a 40ish second PR for him):

http://www.rrstar.com/carousel/x1058169699/Baker-Aranda-brave-elements-to-win-Rockford-Marathon?img=2

I can't find them on there!

Do you have a link?

Nevermind, I found them.

I can't find them on there!

Do you have a link?

Nevermind, I found them.

Good thing I didn't jump the gun.   Glad you found them.  I actually had to go to 2010 results, then go to the results page from there and select the race from the options. 

With all the buzz of racing, I'm in for a 10-miler next weekend.

5/22 - Seven Bridges 10-mile: Goal - <57

Ran this one last year.  It's through a local forest preserve (crushed limestone paths), lots of turns, a couple of hills.  Hopefully it won't be like Barbados out there like it was last year.  Ran a 58:55 then.  Should be able to get my "new age" PR this weekend.

Was it all a dream?

She did WIN...1:31:45 official time. 

Ben was 2nd in 1:11:06.  1OA was 1:11:01...so damn close.

They both had a good showing.  Great job Schneiders!

Thanks!  I'm definitely stoked about the result.  This was probably my best race in 2+ years.  As Candice said, we had a really healthy headwind to fight in the first half, so I tried to keep it under control going out into the wind and then hammered it home with the wind.  I was in 3rd place at the 10mi marker and then rattled off miles 11-13 in 5:19, 5:09, and 5:12 to pass the 2nd place guy and pull within a few seconds of the leader.  I was able to muster 4:35/mi pace over the final 400m (and yes I mean 400m... it appears this HM provided an extra 0.15mi free of charge...ugh), but I just wasn't able to close the gap. 

I can't complain though... It's great to have all the spring training finally pay off!  Time to take a few easy days and then dive right back into it. Smile