3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

I look my best blurry!

Great race Candice!  That is so cool!!!  

Sorry I neglected you Ben! Great run! REALLY impressive!

Feeling the growl again

Thanks!  I'm definitely stoked about the result.  This was probably my best race in 2+ years.  As Candice said, we had a really healthy headwind to fight in the first half, so I tried to keep it under control going out into the wind and then hammered it home with the wind.  I was in 3rd place at the 10mi marker and then rattled off miles 11-13 in 5:19, 5:09, and 5:12 to pass the 2nd place guy and pull within a few seconds of the leader.  I was able to muster 4:35/mi pace over the final 400m (and yes I mean 400m... it appears this HM provided an extra 0.15mi free of charge...ugh), but I just wasn't able to close the gap. 

I can't complain though... It's great to have all the spring training finally pay off!  Time to take a few easy days and then dive right back into it. Smile

That sucks, you would have been around 1:10:15-20 then....N-I-C-E.  They are always so much sweeter when you can finish like that too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Congratulations to the Schneider double!!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Does Geist allow late registration?  I'm on the fence myself.

I got an email this morning for the Geist Marathon that said limited spots are still available.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

I got an email this morning for the Geist Marathon that said limited spots are still available.

Ugh.  Y'all killin' me.  I'm probably still out as a) I need to catch up around my place, and b) I'm out of shape and see no need to deal with the logistics of that race in order to run another slow time.

I need to start knocking out some low-key 5Ks though, I still want my sub-1:12 by fall.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

5/28 Run for Derek 5K, Easton, PA

Give me a DNS.  I know that it is still days away but if I can't finish a tempo run without my leg starting to go numb I shouldn't be racing I guess.  That and I am extremely frustrated and demotivated.  For now I am just going to try to maintain base while I see if I can't get this thing straightened out.  13 months and counting.  WTF?

Not at it at all. 

West Essex Foundation for Education 5k

goal: PR

Tim, I was not out for 13 months, but I was out for a solid 4, where every attempt at a run ended in a painful limp.  I have a small clue about how you feel, and it's a fresh memory.  Please be patient. If it is numbness, maybe it's time to see an MD, like an orthopedist? 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prince of Fatness

Tim, I was not out for 13 months, but I was out for a solid 4, where every attempt at a run ended in a painful limp.  I have a small clue about how you feel, and it's a fresh memory.  Please be patient. If it is numbness, maybe it's time to see an MD, like an orthopedist? 

I am seeing a chiro.

And don't mind me, I am grumpy today and just vented a little.

Not at it at all. 

No disrespect to chiropractors.  But, if it's numbness, it may be a neurological issue. 

Prince of Fatness

No disrespect to chiropractors.  But, if it's numbness, it may be a neurological issue. 

It's definitely nerve related.  It's getting pinched somewhere, either lower back, piriformis, or both.  It started getting bad after my long car trip to SC.  My lower back has been real stiff since then, too.

I had x-rays done and the guy reviewed them with me.  More details here.  Anyhow, I am not sure what an ortho would do that this guy cannot.  I saw the x-rays.  What he said was wrong I saw.  I am not saying that he will fix me, but I am pretty sure that my fucked up back is at least part of what is wrong, so I will give this guy a chance.

Not at it at all. 

Cool. 

Feeling the growl again

It's definitely nerve related.  It's getting pinched somewhere, either lower back, piriformis, or both.  It started getting bad after my long car trip to SC.  My lower back has been real stiff since then, too.

I had x-rays done and the guy reviewed them with me.  More details here.  Anyhow, I am not sure what an ortho would do that this guy cannot.  I saw the x-rays.  What he said was wrong I saw.  I am not saying that he will fix me, but I am pretty sure that my fucked up back is at least part of what is wrong, so I will give this guy a chance.

Damn, this really stinks.  I know what this is like from the 2 years that anemia took me on a yo-yo ride before I finally figured out what was going on.  It was incredibly frustrating.  Don't give up.

I've had a lot of success with chiropractic (neuro issues stemming from a bad neck from an old car accident).

And don't mind me, I am grumpy today and just vented a little.

Here's hoping your stiff upper lip doesn't go numb.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Ugh.  Y'all killin' me.  I'm probably still out as a) I need to catch up around my place, and b) I'm out of shape and see no need to deal with the logistics of that race in order to run another slow time.

I need to start knocking out some low-key 5Ks though, I still want my sub-1:12 by fall.

Saw this posted on the Indyrunners FB page in case you change your mind.

Geist Half-Marathon put up a last minuet code that saves you $20 PromoCode: "INDISTANCE"

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Saw this posted on the Indyrunners FB page in case you change your mind.

Geist Half-Marathon put up a last minuet code that saves you $20 PromoCode: "INDISTANCE"

I'm spiking your beer with vodka at the beer mile....

Nah, I just did a workout tonight.  It went "ok" but not well enough to justify racing.