3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

It's hard to train well and race well simultaneously

uh oh.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I hate that this is the truth.

It's hard to train well and race well simultaneously, but if you have a  lot of room to improve your 5K I would not count yourself out.

I think that depends a lot on where the person is in terms of what they're trying to accomplish.  I would say where a person has a lot of room to improve then they could train and race well. 

It also depends on what training well means.  For a focused 5k, there would be a balanced mix of tempo/longer intervals, easy miles, and hopefully strides built in throughout the week.  Sean, your last four weeks have been a lot of easy runs.  I'm sure the soreness your feeling is just your body getting use to the load.  Your overall pace for the runs seem to be in line meaning that your not in that no-mans land between what a true tempo pace should be and what an easy pace should be.  As schneidr said, the 5k will be a good way to "blow out the pipes." 

Oh, and there is a difference between building 5k's into your training plan versus training to run a 5k PR.  I wish we had an inexpensive option around here for the training purposes.  I can easily find a 5k every weekend in the Chicago suburbs but they are getting quite costly these days.

Seanv2

Sean, your last four weeks have been a lot of easy runs.  I'm sure the soreness your feeling is just your body getting use to the load.  Your overall pace for the runs seem to be in line meaning that your not in that no-mans land between what a true tempo pace should be and what an easy pace should be.  As schneidr said, the 5k will be a good way to "blow out the pipes." 

Oh, and there is a difference between building 5k's into your training plan versus training to run a 5k PR.  I wish we had an inexpensive option around here for the training purposes.  I can easily find a 5k every weekend in the Chicago suburbs but they are getting quite costly these days.

I am looking at tonight's 5k as a restart of work outs after a pretty extended period of easy running after an injury. I am finally feeling healed and am looking forward to pushing it tonight  and, as Ben said, cleaning out the pipes.

This series of 5ks are by no means goal races for me. I would like to significantly lower my 5k PR this year, but I think the best races to do that will be later in the year on a flatter course.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Im running a 5k Monday. Brian Kraft Memorial 5k.

Someone tell me what to run.

Ostrich runner

Im running a 5k Monday. Brian Kraft Memorial 5k.

You should break 19.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I know, right?

Ostrich runner

Probably an 18:45 is attainable at that. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

I dunno know...what does coach say?

My thought was to race 5ks and 10ks all-out to gain racing experience and to improve fitness.  I am not running them as training runs, neither am I training for them.  I don't tend to taper for them, but am looking at them as indicators on the road to sub-1:30 for the HM.

Thoughts? 

Feeling the growl again

My thought was to race 5ks and 10ks all-out to gain racing experience and to improve fitness.  I am not running them as training runs, neither am I training for them.  I don't tend to taper for them, but am looking at them as indicators on the road to sub-1:30 for the HM.

Thoughts? 

As long as you don't burn yourself out doing them too often (like weekly) you'll do fine....it doesn't matter if you run them all out, all out on a full training load is slower than all out after a taper.

Using them as an indicator is fine....if you run the 5/10Ks untapered then taper for the HM you will go faster in the HM than the shorter races may predict.  I tend to use standardized indicator workouts for this purpose but if you enjoy racing and have access to them more power to you...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Interesting.  Well, I suppose that makes my goal of a two-minute PR a tad aggressive.  I still think that if I have a good day, I can get it.  

Feeling the growl again

Interesting.  Well, I suppose that makes my goal of a two-minute PR a tad aggressive.  I still think that if I have a good day, I can get it.  

I'll take a 2 second PR....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I dunno know...what does coach say?

waiting on that answer....

I was assigned 12 x 400s @ 1:30 today...

Hit them all. I believe this ability was due to the government employee who yelled at me because I misunderstood her on the phone. Those last 4 were for that psycho.

I was not in the mood to yell back as I was still shaken up over almost having died on the highway because some idiot in a box truck apparently doesn't know what yield means.

400s are fun when you're pissed off.

I'll take a 2 second PR....

Heck, I'll even take 2 seconds either side of PR...