3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

I look my best blurry!

I dunno. I did a workout today. And, I'm not limping around, but (get ready to yawn), my lower leg is still yapping at me (not loudly).  Being injured is tedious and so is recovery.  It seems to be coming along so slowly, but it is on the march. If I so much as see "the whites of their eyes" I'm racing.

If not, on 5/7, there's a 10k that I do every year.

Ugh.  Are you icing religiously?  Wearing calf sleeves?  Doing the exercises?   I'm a doer.  Yep, I am.  What are you doing to heal???  I want you better, NOW!  You are reminding me of ME!  UGH!  We need to solve this situation.

You know, Kristen, I could be better about icing. I'm basically just running. I'm a runner. I have to run. But iim basically trying to build back from zilch to my old volume. I am trying not to overdo it, but beyond that, I'm just at the point where I have got to be patient. I figure at some point in the next weeks and months, I'll be better *and* will have been running (mostly easy, sometimes hard). Then, ill be good to go. Thanks for the reminder on icing. Life is good, thank God.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Oh ha, I kid you not: my awesome daughter loves to wake in the middle of the night and the one thing that gets her back to sleep is my carrying her around the place, up and down stairs. I really think that's been helping strengthen my lower legs. I love her like crazy.

I look my best blurry!

Oh ha, I kid you not: my awesome daughter loves to wake in the middle of the night and the one thing that gets her back to sleep is my carrying her around the place, up and down stairs. I really think that's been helping strengthen my lower legs. I love her like crazy.

Now that sounds like the ultimate therapy!  Just tweak it a bit by stopping on the bottom step and doing some heal raises!  Feet forward, duck position and toes together heels out!  Two sets of 15 each!  She will love it!!!  Wink

My son was like that.  The motion, coupled with my droning voice, would put him back to sleep.  So I'd walk around the house, telling him how ... to throw a curveball, be the pivot and turn a double-play, change the brake pads on a 1988 Acura Integra, use various power tools, poach an egg.  Ah, memories.

I should have been telling him how to avoid an Achilles tear.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

DoppleBock - May 14th - Ice Age 50 Mile trail race - La Grange, WI

< 8 hours

> 8 beers

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

My daughters slept through the night until @ 6 months old - Then they started getting up - I got tired of getting up all the time, so I told my wife we would let DD#1 cry herself back to sleep - That did not go over well with DW.  So I set a time limit - 60 minutes of crying and she could go get her.

Night # 1 = 55 minutes

Night # 2 = 15 minutes

Night # 3 = 5 minutes 

After that I am sure she still woke up, but then probably thought - "Why Cry?, those bastards aren't coming to get me anyway!"

Almost the same procedure for DD#2

Rockford Half Marathon, May 15  1:26-1:28.

I figure my PR is soft since I ran it on my wedding morning...and also, that it is just soft.

DoppleBock

PS I could not commit to my beer goal until I received confirmation from the RD about the beer situation

http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/GraffitiBoard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=332

I am sure there are some people that think I am stupid for asking this of the RD ... but it was the only think I was stressing about.

MrH

.. but it was the only think I was stressing about.

What else is there to stress about in a 50-mile race?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Rockford Half Marathon, May 15  1:26-1:28.

I figure my PR is soft since I ran it on my wedding morning...and also, that it is just soft.

I am very, very excited to see this happen.

Kristen, I did it last night and it worked! Ha.

DB, I may try that, but I'm actually the one who can't stay put when the kid cries.

So, last night I woke up to quiet her and my legs were dead from running at 8:45-9:45. I went back to bed and had a nightmare: I was on a track racing some of the slowest non-runners I know.  They were the close friends of my real life running nemesis.  I could not, for the life of me, run fast. No matter how effort I exerted my legs were moving like I was pool-running. 

Today's attempt at a workout didn't go well, but I am starting to notice my my mistakes. 

DB, I may try that, but I'm actually the one who can't stay put when the kid cries.

So, last night I woke up to quiet her and my legs were dead from running at 8:45-9:45. I went back to bed and had a nightmare: I was on a track racing some of the slowest non-runners I know.  They were the close friends of my real life running nemesis.  I could not, for the life of me, run fast. No matter how effort I exerted my legs were moving like I was pool-running. 

Today's attempt at a workout didn't go well, but I am starting to notice my my mistakes. 

Damn what a nightmare! Well at least that only happens in your dreams. I sure would like to run in life how I run in my dreams lol.

Sorry your workout didn't go to well Sad If it helps mine went very good . Now watch you will ROCK your half next weekend and I'll bomb 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Ha, glad to know it.

Rev3 Knoxville Half Ironman - This will be my second half ironman, on a tougher course than the first (bike course is hilly, and part of swim is upstream).  Under 5:36 will be a PR, but I'd really like to go 5:30.  If I fry my legs on the hills, I could miss my goal by quite a lot.  I'll have to have a really good day on the swim, bike AND run to go 5:30... so that's my goal.  5:30.

I look my best blurry!

Keep it up and listen to your legs.  Your dreams might very well be telling you something that you won't listen to when you are awake!  That happens to me!

Then again pre-race jitters and nightmares also haunt me and then the reality is so different.  I wish I could just sleep like a stone, don't you?  

rockenmama- glad to hear you're feeling better!