3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

I look my best blurry!

Rockford Half Marathon, May 15  1:26-1:28.

I figure my PR is soft since I ran it on my wedding morning...and also, that it is just soft.

Oh you will soooo blow that away!  

I would be happy with your "soft" PR on the same day. I'm running the Pittsburgh half May 15th.  We'll see though.   The coach is wanting me to jog.  

Spring flowers bring racing powers.

Result:

TonyP -- 5/?? -- Knoxville Half IM -- 5:30

NaderAlfie -- 5/1 -- Long Brand HM -- sub-1:35

rockenmamof5 -- 5/1 -- Leigh Valley HM -- 1:47

MandyS -- 5/7 -- Univ XC Relays 3.9K -- 17:30

MrPHinNJ -- 5/7 -- NJ Spring Trail Series #3 HM -- 2:17

Dopple Bock -- 5/14 -- Ice Age 50 Mile Trail Race -- sub-8 hrs, >8 beers

CandiceS -- 5/15 -- Rockford HM -- 1:26-1:28

MandyS -- 5/27 -- Vossier Shield 5K  -- 26:00 

MrPHinNY -- 5/28 -- Run For Derek 5K, Easton PA -- 21:30

5/15 is the date for Knoxville Half IM.

I'm on for Sunday!

5/1 - Still Shuffle 5k - <17:00

A little impromptu 5k this weekend that starts two blocks from the house and goes through the subdivision.  Can't get any better than that.  It's been a good 17-18 months since I've done a 5k, so we'll see how it goes.

Oh you will soooo blow that away!  

I would be happy with your "soft" PR on the same day. I'm running the Pittsburgh half May 15th.  We'll see though.   The coach is wanting me to jog.  

Ha! I hope.

I actually just found an email in my old email account from the RD of Rockford that offered me a free entry since I won the race in 2009. He sent it in February but I contacted him and he said the offer was still there. Good thing I hadn't signed up yet. Procrastination always pays off.

Let's see how many times I can race for free this year!!  heh. I got free entry to my August marathon too for getting second last year. Racing for free is all about cherry picking, apparently.

MTA: This should more than make up for the money I just dropped for  the NYC marathon.

I look my best blurry!

I dropped a ton in NY! The hotel right on the park with a spectacular view was more the issue than the entrance fee though! That was once in a lifetime. Then Vegas, then Boston! I should try to do some cherry picking. Lol!

[blah]

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

kcam

Ha! I hope.

I actually just found an email in my old email account from the RD of Rockford that offered me a free entry since I won the race in 2009. He sent it in February but I contacted him and he said the offer was still there. Good thing I hadn't signed up yet. Procrastination always pays off.

Let's see how many times I can race for free this year!!  heh. I got free entry to my August marathon too for getting second last year. Racing for free is all about cherry picking, apparently.

MTA: This should more than make up for the money I just dropped for  the NYC marathon.

Free racing is cool!  I gotta blow my own horn here (uhh, did I actually say that out loud?).  Last year I was able to finish in the top 10 of the Pacific Associaton USATF Grand Prix (Masters)  which means they comp you on all entry fees in the Grand Prix for the next year.  There are 5 races in the long-course series - a 10miler, 12K , two 1/2 marathons and a marathon (CIM) - so I get to race 5 times this year for free!  Feels cool to just send in your entry with "COMP'D" written across the top.  Still, not nearly as cool as getting comp'd cuz you actually WON the race or finished 2nd!  Congrats on your achievements - they are definitely impressive and it's been pretty exciting to follow your progress.  Both you and wannabe have really made significant improvements in your racing.  Here's to more 'free' racing for you girls.

Feeling the growl again

[blah]

Saw it pre-edit, baby got your brain, eh?  Your wallet's next.  Wink

Regarding comp'd racing, at the performance level of you women it shouldn't be that rare.  Some local races comp on request or will comp prior winners/placers.  If they have some sort of elite program, chances are they will comp a high-performing local athlete who doesn quite meet the elite criteria.

Regional/smaller marathons will often comp for non-"elite" talent as well.  They don't always advertise, but if you share your "running resume" with them and say you were looking for a target race to run XX time and felt their event met the criteria and came highly recommended, you may be surprised what they will do for you.

I got into Steamtown that way once as an elite (finished 7th despite a significant blow-up)....I approached an RD about bringing a whole group of potential Trials qualifiers to their race for an attempt and got a very welcomed reception (we did deliver one qualifying time at their race for 2nd OA).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ha! I hope.

NICE!

I have a free race next weekend... but it's only free because I volunteered last year. Smile

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm a new poster here and this is my first half marathon, but here we go.

One America 500 Festival Mini-Marathon, May 7th, 2:30

Richard

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Saw it pre-edit, baby got your brain, eh?  Your wallet's next.  Wink

Regarding comp'd racing, at the performance level of you women it shouldn't be that rare.  Some local races comp on request or will comp prior winners/placers.  If they have some sort of elite program, chances are they will comp a high-performing local athlete who doesn quite meet the elite criteria.

Regional/smaller marathons will often comp for non-"elite" talent as well.  They don't always advertise, but if you share your "running resume" with them and say you were looking for a target race to run XX time and felt their event met the criteria and came highly recommended, you may be surprised what they will do for you.

I got into Steamtown that way once as an elite (finished 7th despite a significant blow-up)....I approached an RD about bringing a whole group of potential Trials qualifiers to their race for an attempt and got a very welcomed reception (we did deliver one qualifying time at their race for 2nd OA).

It still feels a little silly though. I'm not "elite." It's funny because if that guy hadn't emailed me, I wouldn't have even thought about asking for elite comp. But apparently it's another one of those sub 3:10 marathoner (women) can have free entry. I've noticed that's typically the standard for these smaller races. For St. Louis I probably would have just registered had Ben not pointed out sub 3:10 got me in elite. I'm gonna have to start paying attention more so I don't sign up for a race I could have gotten into for free.

What feels even sillier is being sent an "Elite Application" form and being told "You're in, I just need you to fill this out." I mean, cool silly...but still silly. I'm not elite. Not in the real sense of the word. I mean I don't even place overall (locally) a lot. That of course has to do with living in the same city as Team USA Minnesota and a couple of other highly competitive running teams...and overall, just a city full of really incredible runners....but still.

Anyway, i'm surprised they sent me the offer at all. I won the race in 2009, didn't run in 2010 but some chick won it in like 1:22. I don't think she's coming back though. She's randomly a facebook friend of mine. Maybe I have a shot again Wink If I were the RD I would have been like....well damn, that chick got lucky in 2009 Wink

Both you and wannabe have really made significant improvements in your racing.  Here's to more 'free' racing for you girls.

Im not sure wannabe has gotten in for free anywhere yet. She needs to drop a minute and a half or so Wink 

Which she will. She's gonna drop like 10 minutes the next time she races a marathon, judging by her incredible improvement curve.

Feeling the growl again

Im not sure wannabe has gotten in for free anywhere yet. She needs to drop a minute and a half or so Wink 

Which she will. She's gonna drop like 10 minutes the next time she races a marathon, judging by her incredible improvement curve.

+1, wannabe is nowhere near top end.

Candice, the other advantage besides getting in free is timing and caps.  To me this is even more important.  I've gotten into races that were "capped out" just weeks before the event.  So it adds flexibility to your training and racing schedule.  The big deal here is the Indy Mini, which caps out about 6 months in advance.  Now due to getting injured at Tom King I'm not running this year because I didn't get the sub-1:15 I thought would be a cakewalk, which at least used to be their standard.  However back when my 1:09 was current they gave me late free entry and offered half of a shared hotel room (which I declined being local).

My policy is just to be grateful and overly nice.  Because you're right, we're not elite so I'm very grateful to have a taste of it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Candice, the other advantage besides getting in free is timing and caps. 

My policy is just to be grateful and overly nice.  Because you're right, we're not elite so I'm very grateful to have a taste of it.

Oh yes, definitely. And starting corral. Though as a woman, I get swallowed up by the men. If that makes sense. I have to really focus on not going out too fast.

And I agree with the later..me too. It's a very nice thing.

+1, wannabe is nowhere near top end.

+10