3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

May Racing Thread (Read 1824 times)

I was thinking about it this morning. I think you should put a lot of weight in what your coach recommends. 

That being said, I do not think that the HM will be a lifetime PR for you, even if you run out of your mind.  It's a learning experience towards your continued improvement. You will learn from it, no matter what the big clock reads at the end.  I understand that a bad race may bum you, but maybe it shouldn't.  I did not run the HM I wanted to run on Sunday. Not even close.  But I didn't call it a "fail." It rubs me the wrong way when people say that about their races, simply because they were way off their goal time.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I look my best blurry!

All of us competitive types tend to be hard on ourselves.  You don't really "fail" a workout but you can fail to learn from it or ignore what you should learn from it.  Injury awaits every single time I ignore the signs.  Ugh. 

Feeling the growl again

Oh nothing specific...I just can't run fast right now so maybe i'm not entirely recovered from the marathon. Not sure if i'll be able to race well by then. The 10k on Saturday, and then some really crappy mile repeats today. Those may have been due to the 30mph headwind though....i'm gonna go with that Smile 

Failing a workout is no big deal.  Failing two is frustrating.

Failing three is a trend.

So where are you along that continuem?  You trained very hard this spring and you gutted out a hot marathon that likely put a load of stress on your body.  You may mostly "feel" ok but don't get sucked up into going after it again too soon and kicking yourself over into over-training.

I think runners have limits they must respect as to how long they can really go after it without a break....this is why I'm not big on pursuing streaks or annual mileage goals....both encourage bad behavior when it comes to taking the rest that may be required.

I really pushed myself in 2003 taking a long shot at a Trials qualifier....burned out <2 months before my target race.  In retrospect, I don't think I ever let myself fully come back and struggled constantly with what turned out to most likely be anemia through 2004-2005.  Late summer 2005 I finally hit rock bottom and gave up...took a few months almost completely off while I restocked my iron stores.  Came back hard in December 2005, averaging nearly 100 mpw with some as high as 120 through mid-April 2006....so about 5 months really pushing the envelope.  That led to a good 10K, but looking back through my log the warning signs that I was about to crash were all there.  While my tempo runs were going well my last 3 interval workouts before my 10K PR were failures.  So I should not be surprised that I then injured myself and rapidly wend downhill between late April and May when I ran my pathetic marathon PR.

Moral of the story is make sure you give your body enough rest from extreme training....you won't lose a ton with a few weeks of easy running but you may gain a lot in the long run.  If you see the failure trend emerge (wo)man up and listen to it....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Failing a workout is no big deal.  Failing two is frustrating.

Failing three is a trend.

So where are you along that continuem?  You trained very hard this spring and you gutted out a hot marathon that likely put a load of stress on your body.  You may mostly "feel" ok but don't get sucked up into going after it again too soon and kicking yourself over into over-training.

I think runners have limits they must respect as to how long they can really go after it without a break....this is why I'm not big on pursuing streaks or annual mileage goals....both encourage bad behavior when it comes to taking the rest that may be required.

I really pushed myself in 2003 taking a long shot at a Trials qualifier....burned out <2 months before my target race.  In retrospect, I don't think I ever let myself fully come back and struggled constantly with what turned out to most likely be anemia through 2004-2005.  Late summer 2005 I finally hit rock bottom and gave up...took a few months almost completely off while I restocked my iron stores.  Came back hard in December 2005, averaging nearly 100 mpw with some as high as 120 through mid-April 2006....so about 5 months really pushing the envelope.  That led to a good 10K, but looking back through my log the warning signs that I was about to crash were all there.  While my tempo runs were going well my last 3 interval workouts before my 10K PR were failures.  So I should not be surprised that I then injured myself and rapidly wend downhill between late April and May when I ran my pathetic marathon PR.

Moral of the story is make sure you give your body enough rest from extreme training....you won't lose a ton with a few weeks of easy running but you may gain a lot in the long run.  If you see the failure trend emerge (wo)man up and listen to it....

Well the 10k was the first workout. Then the mile repeats yesterday. So I have not yet failed a third because I haven't ran a third. That's the only speedwork i've done since the marathon. The wind was terrible so maybe I was giving it 6:35 effort (that's what they were supposed to be) that's just not what I was running. Who knows? I tried hard. I hit one and had one within 2 seconds of goal, the other two were way off, they were also the last ones. I dunno. I felt dead after so I know I worked hard. Took me a mile during the cool down to feel okay and quit running wobble legged. These were only 4 x 1 mi at 6:35.... I did a much harder workout back in March before the marathon an nailed it. That one was:

2 mi w/u, 10 mins @ 7:03 mi/pace (MP), 3 mins recovery, 4 x 4 mi @ 6:35 mi/pace (10k pace), 2 min recovery between intervals, 10 mins @ 6:47 mi/pace HMP and it was no problem! I even wrote "felt hard, but not TOO hard."

Basically what you said is the reason I think he doesn't want me to race the half. Which makes complete sense. I don't think I will run well.  I think it will be one more step in breaking me down.

That said, I don't know what im gonna do yet. He's hoping ill just run it hard and not race, I think.

I was thinking about it this morning. I think you should put a lot of weight in what your coach recommends. 

That being said, I do not think that the HM will be a lifetime PR for you, even if you run out of your mind.  It's a learning experience towards your continued improvement. You will learn from it, no matter what the big clock reads at the end.  I understand that a bad race may bum you, but maybe it shouldn't.  I did not run the HM I wanted to run on Sunday. Not even close.  But I didn't call it a "fail." It rubs me the wrong way when people say that about their races, simply because they were way off their goal time.  

Well his point is more that I really have no business racing any distance so soon after a marathon.

Elites just don't do that, so that's not what he does or suggests. That's probably why they're elite and the rest of us have disapointing race after disappointing race until we occasionally get on a streak of fast for a bit.

I understand what you mean about a "fail" but I disagree. I for one hold myself to high standards, sometimes maybe higher than I should. If you missed a bunch of math problems on a test even if you studied your ass off and tried really hard...you'd still get an "F" wouldn't you? Yea. You would.

Feeling the growl again

Good luck to those racing this weekend, especially rabutler with the hometown race here.  Weather is supposed to be decent, wish I was running it...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Candice, I'm hardly an expert and I don't know what the "Boom Loop" is, but ... did you have essentially the same wind for all four repeats (like you would've on a track) or did it vary (like it might if you did them on a loop road course)?  That might account for your hitting the times for the first couple but not the last pair.

But given your previous success with what looked like a tougher workout, I have to think your legs just aren't back all the way yet.  Taking a mile to lose a wobbly-leg feeling after nothing harder (for you, anyway!) than 4x1mi@6:35 doesn't sound like your normal fitness level.

I'm nowhere near the level of some (most) of you folks.  One of the very cool things about RA is that I can read what really good runners have to say about training (theirs and others'), "see" them doing big volume, big workouts, and putting up big performances.  It's clear you love to run and especially to compete, and your mind obviously has recovered and is ready to GO.  But it sounds like your body hasn't finished filling the tank yet and won't perform up to its high potential for you right now.  I guess it's your call whether you want what you can wring out of it for this HM or what you'll get if you wait until you're more fully recovered.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Candice, I'm hardly an expert and I don't know what the "Boom Loop" is, but ... did you have essentially the same wind for all four repeats (like you would've on a track) or did it vary (like it might if you did them on a loop road course)?  That might account for your hitting the times for the first couple but not the last pair.

But given your previous success with what looked like a tougher workout, I have to think your legs just aren't back all the way yet.  Taking a mile to lose a wobbly-leg feeling after nothing harder (for you, anyway!) than 4x1mi@6:35 doesn't sound like your normal fitness level.

I'm nowhere near the level of some (most) of you folks.  One of the very cool things about RA is that I can read what really good runners have to say about training (theirs and others'), "see" them doing big volume, big workouts, and putting up big performances.  It's clear you love to run and especially to compete, and your mind obviously has recovered and is ready to GO.  But it sounds like your body hasn't finished filling the tank yet and won't perform up to its high potential for you right now.  I guess it's your call whether you want what you can wring out of it for this HM or what you'll get if you wait until you're more fully recovered.

Heh, the Boom Loop is loops of an island on the river called "Boom Island." Conveniently it's a mile loop around the thing and takes me about 2 miles to get to, and 2 miles to get back home. So perfect for w/u & c/d. I actually didn't end up doing all the repeats on the island though...just the first one and halfway through the second one when I decided to exit and run away from the wind. No matter which direction I ran it seemed I had to run in the wind for at least part of each mile.The last mile was terrible. Probably why it was the slowest.

But yea, comparing that workout to one I did in March that was harder and felt easier... like spaniel said, pushing through the stupid hot marathon took a lot out of me I guess.

I look my best blurry!

Well his point is more that I really have no business racing any distance so soon after a marathon.

Elites just don't do that, so that's not what he does or suggests.

I look my best blurry!

I'm getting the same advice along with "if you do this and end up injured....." Can't blame him though, he's right. So this weekend I'm taking it easy in both 5Ks that I've signed up for. Next weekend I have a half that I want to race badly but we'll see. I LOVE being healthy and running everyday. I don't want to give that up, not even for a PR. I've run too many painful miles since last June. I don't want to do that again. MTA- iPad screws up spacing. :-/

If you can't make it and need someone to fill in and race badly, I'm your huckleberry.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Next weekend I have a half that I want to race badly but we'll see.

Same.

I look my best blurry!

LMAO! Or join me and we can all race badly! He! He! He! MTA-This morning I am headed to a 5K with the intention of jogging. I've been up since 5:30 this morning stressing about it. I am such a spazzzzz.! It's a charity for the son of the middle school's cross country and distance track coach who developed a tumor on his spine and then contracted the H1N1 virus while hospitalized a few years ago. Sad There's no way I can miss it but it is killing me to not race it!!! Tomorrow is another non-racing 5K for me but I will go a little faster. It will still be hard!
                              I LOVE being healthy and running everyday.

+100000000000

Feeling the growl again

I'm getting the same advice along with "if you do this and end up injured....." 

I parrotted Nobby TWICE today?  Ha.  One more for the hat trick...