50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 11 times)

rmcj001

Az - the fires sound scary.  Thanks everyone enjoyed the run.  I think I found almost the perfect marathon to BQ - Canyon City Marathon, certified course with net elevation loss of almost a mile!  Think we're going to enter as a family team...Good luck on the trail marathon!

Art - Yes, just when we think we've adjusted - boom! It's good for our character - kind of like a hilly trail run   BBQ in the heat, just remember the umbrella and in non-drought years, the mister.

Dan - Yes, the taper!  Think I started mine a bit early...Hope DWD goes well!

Chantilly - Do you have any races coming soon? As, always nice consistency and mileage!

NHRich - Good to hear things are improving.  Stay sane and safe...well, at least don't go to crazy...

Wed, 7/1, ended up being a rest day as spent morning getting visa for upcoming trip.

Thu, 7/2, 10 miles - felt tired, those rest days are over rated

Fri, 7/3, 7.2 around home before heading to SF to meet friends.

Sat, 7/4, URD - just didn't feel like running.

Sun, 7/5, Was supposed to be LR, but ended up just 5 miles on TM.

Mon, 7/6, 10.3 total miles with first 7.3 in under an hour, but heat got to me a bit so promised myself a walk break (about 5-10minutes) followed by another 3 miles in ~26minutes.  Felt pretty good, but couldn't believe how wet I was.

Ray

NH Runner

Tuesday, 7/7... 4 railtrail run today.   Walk / jogged the first mile, then ran the next 3...

Thanks for the welcome back, hopefully it won't be short lived...

I'm still a little behind the 8 ball on what everyone's up to, I know Dan and az both have races coming up, so good luck you two!

Everyone else is still logging miles and that's really all that matters, it's nice to be back.

My injury seems to be a muscle tear that morphed into a knotted muscle that also took a while for me to figure out, az was spot on when she thought I needed a massage.    I'm becoming an expert at finding and getting rid of hotspots though, apparently a knotted muscle isn't something our body can fix on its own.    Live an learn...

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. No clouds so it was clear sunny hot and humid.

Ray - Agree with what the heat does to our runs. I've been tempted to run through the sprinklers in the park a few times.

Rich - Learned something new about a knotted muscle. Pictures a cartoon muscle tied into a knot.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

So, for Father's day my sons got me a fitbit surge, which seemed like great timing.  Got in I think three runs with both Garmin and Surge before the Garmin stopped holding a charge.  The surge's accuracy seemed, maybe a little off, but kinda of close.  The over the weekend battery gauge on it showed almost empty, but worked for whole run.  Plug it into its charger and battery gauge shows full charge.  We're heading out so put it on in non-gps mode and head out.  When we got to where we were going display is blank.  Ok, maybe something was wrong with the charge port.  Whatever, get back home plug it into different port leave it all night.  Seems fine use it on next run, things are good.  Plug it into charger after run, battery says its charged - slap it on head home.  Head out for a walk and check it, its blank again.  Fool me one shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  I'm sending it back asked my son to order the Garmin Forerunner 225 - functionality looks the same and reviews tout it as being the most accurate of the Heart rate monitor watches (light based).  Of, course this means that I'm running just on feel and have to know or judge the distances I'm running.  Today, mostly relied on mile markers on the trail and only estimate the first 1/2 mile based on GPS measurements.  Using my normal fitbit to measure time, did 10 miles in 1:27:40 today.  Won't get the new watch until I get back from vacation later this month 

Rich - knots and adhesions can be fun, not!  Strains, pulls and tears are tricky things.  Remember, bones, ligaments and tendons take more time to develop then the muscles and changing running form will take time for everything to catch up.  Good job on the 4 miles today and remember that rest /recovery is important too!

Art - Solid 5 miler!

Ray

So I am REALLY trying to cross train by incorporating cycling ...........went on a 20 mile bike ride this morning.  NICE that the last two days we've had 60 degree weather with some slight breeze, pretty COOL!  It was great and really have my groin and quads a workout!  Had happy hour with a good friend which took 3 HRS!!  WOW!!

Ray:  sorry to hear that the fitbit didn't work out.  How is that any different from your garmin .....or what you use on your runs?  Another family race event?  AWESOME!!  Jealous you have some pretty cool get-togethers!!

NH:  there are times when we (runners) NEED a massage, and I'm as guilty about it too, putting it off but so grateful and relieved when get one.  I guess I'm more biased toward my massage therapist in AZ; still haven't found a 'good' one in MN.  Glad you're posting!

Dan:  taper time keeps those muscles from 'shock' ......you're doing good.

Art:  Just trying to imagine how "humid" it is in AZ at this time, now that I have perspective living in the midwest, LOL!!  I miss 'home' though.

Today, TUESDAY, decided to get a cross-training in .........so went for a 20 mile bike ride this morning!!  I know ART just did a 26 mile bike ride  and I was thinking of that .......that's tough!!  Felt like FOREVER but nice, scenic wise, around the lake, stopped a couple of times for some photo ops.  The breeze really kept the temps down around 65 degrees.

adkkev

July 8th already!!  I have been slacking on my posting ...

7/1 - 4 miles between the arc trainer & the elliptical.  The arc trainer is almost like a stair stepping machine except you can change the progression of your 'climbing'.

7/2 - 4 miles on the elliptical - hill climb program

7/3 - 4.6 mile run on the nature trail

7/4 - took the day off ... family cook out

7/5 - 5+ miles of hiking with Jackie

7/6 - 9 miles between the elliptical & the spin cycle - hill climb program on the elliptical

7/7 - 5+ miles on the elliptical - hill climb program

Rich - hope your injury heals soon ... just take it easy on your road to recovery.

It has been hotter, once again, up at my son's house in Fairbanks, AK, than here in upstate NY ... but I think they could use the rain that we've been getting.  Fires everywhere up there, air quality in Fairbanks is pretty poor at the moment due to all the forest fires.  Hard to imagine this but over 3 million acres have burned so far ... that's as if half the Adirondack Park went up in flames!  So far the fires haven't come close to where they live but still ... scary for sure.

NH Runner

Wednesday, 7/8... no running today, but I did ride the mtn bike 10 miles on the railtrail.

Art... running with knotted muscles like trying to run with your shoes laces tied together, you don't fall, but you legs won't go and it hurts...lol   Hang in there with the weather...

ray... running by feel sometimes isn't a bad thing.    Too had about the Surge and good luck with the Forerunner.    Nice 10 miler!

az... nice 20 mile ride!    The bike's a good workout that also gives our running muscles a break.    Agreed about getting a massage...

adkkev... you're busy!   Nice week of workouts there!     Crazy stuff with the fires in Alaska...

Chantilly75

NH Runner Good to see you back. A therapeutic massage cures a lot of running ills. Nice to keep up with the bike and tryke.

az2mntrail You don't have long until your race.  Bikes are good cross training.  I saw a middle-aged lady on a red Harley the other day.  Her licence plate said dragon. She was dressed in leathers and riding alone….

We had smoke hanging over the town a couple of days that was bothersome.  Air advisory several days and many people were staying indoors.

rmcj001 I hope you have good weather for the SF marathon. I looked at the Canyon City site.  It looks pretty.

Art in AZ  Wow…108F today there for you.  Hats off to you for getting in your runs.

adkkev You've got quite a variety of workouts there.  Are you done painting?  Hope your son is ok and the fires stay away from his place.

7 miles yesterday

12 miles today on the track. Left knee is sore from running on the slanted streets.

Made chocolate oatmeal cookies and did 2 hours of yard work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

adkkev - keeping busy!  Cool.  Regarding the fires, native americans used fire to keep undergrowth in check, keep ground clear for cultivation and soil enrichment.  There is one hypothesis out there that the mini ice-age in the 17th/18th century was caused by the sequestering of CO2 caused by the NA not burning as much (reduced population due to disease and encroachment from europeans).

Az - 65F sound pretty nice!  Good day for cross training.  The fitbit Surge has both the GPS and activity tracker, plus optical heart rate monitor built in.  In theory, it could replace my old Garmin 410 (w heart strap) and fitbit one in a single device.  The Garmin FR225 has all the same features (except floor count) that the Surge has.  I'll still need my fitbit if I want to continue to use their site.

NHRich - Yes, I hope the FR225 will work well.  Bike ride sounds like a nice change of pace.

Chantilly - Nice runs!  Especially the 12 miler!  Oatmeal - reminds me, DW signed us up to do "Run with the Blerch" week after Canyon City. She originally wanted to do the full, but after CC she decided the 1/2 would do.  Oh, and she signed up to do CIM the first week of December with me too!

7/8, 75F today and since we're heading out on vacation tomorrow and since I should be starting my tape Monday...did 11 miles today in about 1:35.  Will try to get a 5 miler in tomorrow, but we also have a 12+hour flight tomorrow...

Dan & Az good luck this weekend!

Ray

adkkev

Wednesday at the gym again ... more wonky weather ... is it going to thunderstorm & lightning?  sunshine?  windy?  humid?

Anyhow, 1.25 miles on the arc trainer, which is pretty much like a stair stepper except you can choose different programs, inclines, resistance, etc.  30 minutes on that torture machine had me sweating as if I were in a sauna ... but, wow, what a workout!  Followed it up with 2.5 miles on the elliptical using a progressive hill program.

Chantilly - we haven't started painting the room yet ... Jackie can't decide on a color!  And you are certainly piling on the miles ... along with all that yard work!  And cookie baking ... mmmmmmmmmm ...

Ray - it has been very warm this year up in Alaska, especially in the interior.  Fairbanks is actually "desert-like" having low amounts of precipitation and low humidity ... toss in a few "dry" thunderstorms with lots of lightning and you've got quite a fire season.  This year the warmth & lack of precipitation has affected much more of the state than normal, stretching down towards the Mat-Su valley (where they grow those enormous veggies) where it's usually rainier.  When you travel around the state you can usually tell where the past fires have been, with the black spruce trees still standing like blackened sticks surrounded by huge swaths of pink fireweed.  It's quite beautiful.

Rich - how's the knotted muscle when you're out riding your bike?  Does the riding help "work out the kinks"?

Az & Art - just thinking of riding a bike for 20+ miles is making my butt sore

Art in AZ

8 miles Wednesday morning. Sunny but a couple of degrees cooler.
                        3 miles this morning under cloudy skies again. No rain, just clouds.

Ray - Too bad about the Father's day gift. Hopefully the Forerunner will be better.

AZ - The humidity has been a little erratic the past few days. Up and down. This mornings run felt a little less humid. I'm planning on doing a bike ride this Sunday. I'm going to go in the opposite direction and go to Tempe Town Lake since you mentioned it earlier. A change of scenery will be nice. Even though some of it will be on streets. Nice temps there. 65 degrees, go ahead, rub it in.

adkkev - nice group of workouts with the different combinations.

Chantilly - Couple of good runs for you. Making chocolate oatmeal cookies is my kind of cross training. The temps here can be challenging at times. Today they are predicting we don't hit 100 degrees. We'll see.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

rmcj001 I have read about the blerch and read The Oatmeal. He's pretty funny. You and your wife are going to be busy with all those races.

I have a HM on Sept. 13. Still thinking about ND and SD in Sept.

adkkev Your weather has certainly seemed unpredictable.  It is hard to choose paint colors.  Many look the same until they are actually on the wall.

Art in AZ Hope it cools off a little.  Are you making a bagel run on the bike?

4 miles this morning.

4 hours of yard work. Pulling weeds and digging up invasive ferns, mowing, re-mulching and thinning out flower beds. Evened out an eroded area along the fence by placing old deck posts to hold back the soil, added dirt and rocks. Weight training comes in handy for carrying around 40 lb. bags of rocks. 

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 7/9... 8.5 mile railtrail mtn bike ride today, but no running.    Still not up to speed with running, so will ease on out of here again.    Will be back at some point...

Thursday, 7/9... 8.5 mile railtrail mtn bike ride today, but no running.    Still not up to speed with running, so will ease on out of here again.    Will be back at some point...

NH:  just tell us how great we are doing, LOL!!  And give us your weather reports, I know I miss your wit.

4 miles this morning.

4 hours of yard work. Pulling weeds and digging up invasive ferns, mowing, re-mulching and thinning out flower beds. Evened out an eroded area along the fence by placing old deck posts to hold back the soil, added dirt and rocks. Weight training comes in handy for carrying around 40 lb. bags of rocks. 

Chantilly:  4 hrs of yard work?!? You are a busy bee!! yeah, I'd count that as weight training, good job!!  I thinned out our corner yard and got a huge blister along my thumb, ouch!! And I wasn't there for hours, but I got bitten by the darn mosquitoes which causes immediate swelling.