50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 11 times)

Wednesday at the gym again ... more wonky weather ... is it going to thunderstorm & lightning?  sunshine?  windy?  humid?

Anyhow, 1.25 miles on the arc trainer, which is pretty much like a stair stepper except you can choose different programs, inclines, resistance, etc.  30 minutes on that torture machine had me sweating as if I were in a sauna ... but, wow, what a workout!  Followed it up with 2.5 miles on the elliptical using a progressive hill program.

Az & Art - just thinking of riding a bike for 20+ miles is making my butt sore

adkkev:  we had 'wonky' weather (I really like that term ) last couple of weeks but this week we've had clouds and it actually was cooler for a couple of days, NICE!  The humidity is here to stay for sure thus the flying bugs/insects are annoying on my outdoor runs but that's summer. I have to compare it to the artic temps this past winter so I'm really trying to keep my complaints about summer to a minimum.  Arc trainer sounds pretty cool.  A stair stepper/treadmill combo would be something I wouldn't mind having.  HAHA!! RE: butt sore!  It happens .

Went to gym today.  15 mins cycle first, 15 mins elliptical, then 6.1 interval miles on hills program, 20 mins cycle, 20 mins elliptical and 15 mins weights.  Felt great throughout the workout.

DH's niece (13) will be staying with us for the summer but we might end up with her living with us.  Home environment has not been healthy for her for over a year.  Mom (who adopted her as a baby) is struggling, I'm sure you all understand such family dynamics.  So we'll see how this turns out.  I'm excited to have her around, maybe I can get her to take some interest in running?   Anyway, we are picking her up this weekend in SD and she is coming with me to WA.  They don't travel much so this will be an adventure for her.  We are leaving next Tuesday and camping a couple of nights at state parks.  Will be at race site for bib pickup on Friday.  My trail race is Saturday.  Then visiting with a friend for weekend and then headed back.  Found out that the MONTANA HOG RALLY is next weekend in Missoula, which is on our travel route!!  What are the odds?!?   Would have been nice to ride my harley bike but I know I wouldn't make it back at least a couple of weeks later due to my race, LOL!!  Been there, done that!

Dan:  GOOD LUCK this weekend!! You'll do awesome!!  Find a pacer, keep eyes on trail and then run really fast in the end

adkkev

Thursday - 13+ miles on the spin cycle at the gym ...

Friday - took the day off from work ... Jackie & I went canoeing ... so 6+ miles of paddling.  The water level was pretty high so the three beaver dams we encountered were easy to paddle over against the current.  Coming back out with the current was fast (it's all flat water on a very twisty "river').  The final push to the take out spot was against the wind much of the time so it took a bit more effort in that stretch!  So we spent a good 4+ hours on the water.  Not much wildlife other than some ducks & one single heron.  Lots of song birds in the woods around the river though ...

I'll try and post some pictures later on.

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. Weather was a little cooler, sunny with a slight breeze and less humid. Compared to several days ago it was nice out.

Chantilly - No bagel run this time. Going in the opposite direction and this will be a new, unexplored route for me. Looking at the map I am estimating 25 miles.

Rich - You can still check in every few days and say hi. Hope the recovery goes well.

adkkev - long miles workout and then canoeing the next day. Good total workout.

az - Hope the weekend trip goes smooth. I'm sure the niece will appreciate the change of environment.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Well, today turned into an unscheduled rest day. AC unit decided to not to provide any cool air. So we wait for the AC guy to finish determining what needs to be fixed.

I checked the running log and saw I had a small streak going of 11 days and 50 miles for the month already. So the rest day is OK. I'll be ready for the bike ride tomorrow.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Hope you have a great trip!

Art in AZ Hope you get the A/C working. You need it there. 11 day streak in hot weather!

9 miles yesterday and 6 miles today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Did a 25 mile bike ride this morning in a little 2 hours. Weather was nice for the bike ride. Partly cloudy overcast and warm. Nice feeling breeze while moving. Tried out the new universal phone holder for the bike and the Cycle GPS app for the phone. The phone holder worked good and the GPS app was great. The app showed current speed, overall speed, miles traveled, duration and displayed your location on a map. Just what I was looking for. However. There's always a however. With the phone fully charged, the battery didn't last 2 hours. So I have to see how I can get more time with the app on. Otherwise it won't help on long bike rides.

AZ - Did this ride to Tempe Town Lake. First 5 miles were Mesa side street and along the canal. Path along canal was paved, had garbage cans every so often, places to stop and sit and was clean and looked maintained. Then came 5 miles of major street getting to the Eastern edge of Tempe Town Lake bike path. Practically no traffic so not too bad in the morning. Took the Southern side of the lake path to Tempe Arts Center. Lots of runners and bikers out in the morning. Crossed the bridge to the North side and then headed back East. Hardly anyone on this side. Got to the end of the Tempe path at the Tempe/Mesa border.

From the border is where it got interesting some and had to double back a couple of times trying to find a way. Eventually followed a road/path and got back on side streets to the canal and back home. Overall a good ride. Mostly flat and easy.

Chantilly - Yes it was a little warm in the house until it got fixed later in the morning. All's good now. I'll have to start another streak.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Was looking for events and saw these. They are in Utah near Provo and Salt Lake City. http://runtasticevents.com/

Cycle through the pictures and look at the medal for the Dino Half. I think one of these races would be a lot of fun to run. And the few I checked out were all downhill.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Thursday - 13+ miles on the spin cycle at the gym ...

Friday - took the day off from work ... Jackie & I went canoeing ... so 6+ miles of paddling.

adkkev:  good cross-training for two days.  Kudos for 'spinning' for 13+ miles, butt sore?   Day of canoeing sounds glorious and relaxing.  Now, THAT'S a day off. What kind of canoe do you have?  Where do you go canoeing?  looking forward to photos.

Did a 25 mile bike ride this morning in a little 2 hours.

AZ - Did this ride to Tempe Town Lake. First 5 miles were Mesa side street and along the canal. Path along canal was paved, had garbage cans every so often, places to stop and sit and was clean and looked maintained. Then came 5 miles of major street getting to the Eastern edge of Tempe Town Lake bike path. Practically no traffic so not too bad in the morning. Took the Southern side of the lake path to Tempe Arts Center. Lots of runners and bikers out in the morning. Crossed the bridge to the North side and then headed back East. Hardly anyone on this side. Got to the end of the Tempe path at the Tempe/Mesa border.

From the border is where it got interesting some and had to double back a couple of times trying to find a way. Eventually followed a road/path and got back on side streets to the canal and back home. Overall a good ride. Mostly flat and easy.

Art:  25+ miles bike rides are gonna become the 'norm' for you.  Ride sounds like it was an event on the return.  I've run a few races around the Tempe Town lake so I can visualize most of your bike ride.  Hope you figure out how to have longer battery life.  What is the brand for the phone holder?  I've been thinking of getting one for my brother.  I have a nice size bike bag (LLBean) to carry stuff.  Thanks for the link to the races.  They are tempting to run in, and certainly will keep them in mind.  I never know when my trips to the SW will happen and I'm always looking for races, preferably TRAIL.  UT is a trail runner's paradise too especially around Moab and Bryce N.P., etc.

Well, disappointing news ........I think .....depending on how you look at it.

Made the 5.5 hrs drive to SD yesterday morning to pick up DH's niece.  DH calls and his sister didn't know it was 'today' .......even tho' he's been telling her for weeks.  DH talks to niece who says she is looking forward to staying with us, and is packing.  We get there and sister tells us that niece went to Wal-mart with a friend and will be right back ......that was 2 hrs ago!!    Sister packed for her!!  We waited while sister calls the friend and friend's parents but no answer.  Finally at 6:30 pm, DH tells her we have to go.  Obviously, if she really wanted to stay with us, she would have been waiting.  DH felt so bad for his sister but not much else we can do to 'help.'  We tried.  We got back at 12:52 am, I was in bed by 12:58 am!

Got up at 8 am to ominous dark clouds moving in quickly, some thunder ........have running date with running buddy at 9 am.  While I texted her, it begins to POUR and there's HAIL!!  We waited about 45 minutes, and it stops.  Running buddy picks me up and drive to state park.  It's still cloudy, sprinkles of rain and very MUGGY.  She ran 20 miles yesterday and quads are sore she says.  My calves have been aching for 2 days.  After running 2.5 miles, it's difficult to breathe and we decide to turn around.  Finished 5.1 miles.  My calves feel much better.  Hope to run again tomorrow and early Tuesday morning before I leave for WA.  

adkkev

Az - we have Wenonah Wee Lassies ... solo lightweight (25 lbs), just under 12' long.  We have canoed in several places around the Adirondacks ... and we are lucky enough to live within an hour of some pretty nice water for canoeing.  We have not spent an overnight with our canoes, hopefully we will be able to get that done at least once this summer.

Nothing for me this weekend ... Saturday was a trip to the Syracuse Zoo with our son & granddaughter followed by a Bastille Day party at a friend's camp (she is French obviously - our boys grew up with her boys).  So it was a pretty long day ... Sunday was yard work & then relaxing in the shade on our front porch.

rmcj001

Short note today

Left Thursday for Shanghai and arrived Friday evening local time. So no running 'til Saturday local time. 2 x 4 miles on TM, very humid as a typhoon was going through. DS2 arrived in evening. Sunday, another double of 4 miles on TM in before 7AM local time. Monday, it's Monday here, 7 3/4 miles in 65 minutes on TM - didn't realize TM automatically goes into cool down mode at 1 hour, so kept jacking up pace for last 5 minutes. Wanted to do 8, but to tired to deal with TM.

Keep safe and run hard everyone.

Ray

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning under cloudy skies. Just as I was putting on my shoes and go it started raining. Rained for 2 minutes, then quit. So no running in the rain.

AZ - Too bad on the family situation. I would be upset also after going through everything and then going home empty. The long bike rides are my way to exercise for the time I run a half. Just trying to not lose the stamina for that time. But might have to change that strategy. Looking at maybe doing the Groom Creek Half in Prescott end of September. I would have to start doing the longer runs on foot. Yes, those Utah races look good. There is a half in Kanab end of August. Would like to run one in Utah and New Mexico to add to my state list.

adkkev - Sounds like a great weekend. Well maybe except for that yard work.

Ray - After that distance flying I'm sure you were glad to get some running in.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

adkkev Sorry, I guess I missed you on the last post! Nice to hear about the canoeing. It must make for a relaxing time…and a party, also!

.."but they're marching to Bastille Day...

La guillotine will claim her bloody prize

Free the dungeons of their innocents..

The King will kneel. Let his kingdom rise."    by RUSH

az2mntrail Nice to have that running buddy. Have a good trip.

Art in AZ Yeah, cell phone batteries don't really last long enough, even with almost all the other apps turned off.  There are portable battery packs, but don't know if they would work on the bike. Agree, Utah does have a lot of race choices. My son & I ran a HM in Salt Lake city.  It was an essentially downhill course, ending up in Temple Square. Free transit rides.

rmcj001 Sounds like a great trip.  Be safe and have fun.

2 days off/working.

6 miles plus transplanting some hostas.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica