50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 11 times)

There's always laundry to do after a trip <<<sign>>> and I guess DH was expecting me back so he didn't do laundry . I don't mind that b/c he needs to wear other clean shirts/pants, etc rather than the same ones recently laundered even tho' I put them on the bottom of the drawer (I'm so clever, LOL) but he finds them.

Anyway, drove to gym for my recovery workout.  15 mins elliptical, then 4.1 miles on the TM with a 1 minute walk break after each mile, then finished with 20 mins on cycling.  Actually felt great when running but not pushing it too much.  I'm searching for another trail run (s) for August. I did register for the Durango Double Oct. 10 (HM trail) and Oct. 11 (HM road) in Durango, CO.  My brother might power-walk the 5k and maybe his DIL might run one of the events.  This would be a fun "family" event with the camping in spectacular southern CO.

Art:  I was actually checking/reviewing/comparing that particular one for my car ......... So did it verbally tell you directions out loud on your bike ride? So any bike races in the future?

NH:  always smart to have some idea about 'gears' and 'shifters' .........of course, you can always turn that into some 'super-turbo' trike!!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 7/28... 5 mile railtrail run this morning, I got out early to beat the heat and humidity.     I'm still not 100%, so am taking it easy the first mile to get warmed up, then settle into the run.    I got a kick out of today's splits, almost ran the last 4 miles at the same pace...11:28, 9:39, 9:39, 9:39 and 9:37...     Nice 9 mile road bike ride on the Specialized that took me through the covered bridge I run through so often...

Art... yeah, it's the workout we're after and mtn bikes work just fine.    My old road bike with the 12 speeds is nowhere near as much fun to ride as the hybrid Specialized with a straight handlebar and 24 speeds.

az... do you have a washboard you take down to the river to do your laundry?    My wife keeps asking for a washing machine, but I keep telling her the washboard's a good upper body workout.     She's so lucky to have me...    Super Charged Trike, eh?   At the rate I'm going, I'm going to need one just get around...lol

rmcj001

I'm still alive   but, work has been a bit busy since we returned...Quick update and hopefully replies and comments to everyone later...

Sunday was SF Marathon, 3:48:12 so a new PB on that course, but had hoped to do a little better, but not really disappointed 'cuz China trip interfered. Monday, semi-intentional rest day - originally was planning on walking 5 miles at lunch, but too much going on at work to take the time.  3 mile walk in evening to get dinner, tho.  Tuesday, 6.1 miles recovery run and temps in mid-90's.  Not quite Arizona weather, but still a felt like a blast furnace to me.

That's it for now...

Ray

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning with mostly cloudy skies with a little more humidity as the monsoons are moving back into the area. Skies are a little dark and windy but I think the storms will stay South of us tonight.

AZ - Easy recovery workout thinking about another race. I'll have to look up the Durango Double just to see what it offers. The Garmin talk to me but I turned it off. I put the Nuvi into Off-Road mode and bicycle mode. Off-Road mode is more for a point-to-point drive. Or so the user's guide mentions. When I first tried it out Saturday night in the neighbor it kept telling me to turn here or there. Probably because I didn't input any destination. I'll have to make a different route and see how it does. No bike races. Just looking for some running events.

Rich - Nice consistent running there. Now that's getting in a groove. Bet you couldn't do that if you tried.

Ray - Congrats on the new PR. That had to feel good all things considered. That's a good description of running around here sometimes.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 7/29... tough morning this morning.   Headed down the railtrail thinking I'd run 6 miles, but got sabotaged by legs that weren't interested.    It's weird how bad runs can come out of nowhere and I wasn't expecting this at all, but 4 miles total with splits that looked like this.   Warmed the first mile in 11:45, then struggled the next 3 to run 10:19, 10:20 and 11:01.    I stopped and stretched at 2 miles, but it was just one of those days and I turned around and headed home...lol

Ray... congrats. on the P.B. at San Fran., good to see you posting again...

Art... that's the closest I've come to running identical splits in a run.    I wasn't watching my times that close and was surprised when I checked them after I was done.      Nice run for you, eh?   The breeze and overcast skies must have been a welcome change...

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Nice recovery w/o. Sounds like a good time there in Durango for you!

NH Runner Good idea to pack it in early.

"A man who is a master of patience is a master of all else"  George Savile

I have a HM in Sept.

rmcj001  Congratulations on the SF PB!  Did you have a good trip?

Art in AZ You could look up www.aravaiparunning.com .  They have many different AZ races.  A good organization.

justrundan You had some good workouts on your vacation.

No runs for 2 days.

10 miles at 5 AM

4 miles at 11 AM.

1 hour yard work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Hey Chantilly, I like that...      I think I'm trying to come back too fast and my legs let me know about it today.    I did get out for an easy 5 mile mtn bike ride later in the day, emphasis on easy, thinking it might help with recovery...

The last couple of days have been VERY WINDY, stirring up dust on my usual route around the fairgrounds and the county fair is this weekend so area is busy with set-up, horses/horse trailers everywhere and campers.  We aren't county fair-goers.

So drove to university gym yesterday (Wed).  10 mins cycling, then 6.2 miles on TM on 'rolling hills' program.  1 min walk break after each 2 miles.  Running buddy called as she got done with work early and we met for happy hour, talked for 3 hrs about training, races, gear, trail running, etc.  WAS GREAT!!

Sunday was SF Marathon, 3:48:12 so a new PB on that course, but had hoped to do a little better, but not really disappointed 'cuz China trip interfered. Monday, semi-intentional rest day - originally was planning on walking 5 miles at lunch, but too much going on at work to take the time.  3 mile walk in evening to get dinner, tho.  Tuesday, 6.1 miles recovery run and temps in mid-90's.  Not quite Arizona weather, but still a felt like a blast furnace to me.

Ray:  AWESOME FINISH!!  Busy schedule especially traveling in different time zones does take a toll on your daily routine.  Congrats on the getting a PB!! Being satisfied with effort and time is well worth it in the end.  CA has been surviving some awful forest fires lately.  Hope you have good recovery runs, stay cool.

Chantilly:  another incredible double run day!  Way to Go!! Where/when is your Sept HM?  Are you still doing the FM series in Sept too?  I was thinking about the HMs but I will be on my way home to the SW.

Tuesday, 7/28... 5 mile railtrail run this morning, I got out early to beat the heat and humidity.     I'm still not 100%, so am taking it easy the first mile to get warmed up, then settle into the run.    I got a kick out of today's splits, almost ran the last 4 miles at the same pace...11:28, 9:39, 9:39, 9:39 and 9:37...     Nice 9 mile road bike ride on the Specialized that took me through the covered bridge I run through so often...

az... do you have a washboard you take down to the river to do your laundry?    My wife keeps asking for a washing machine, but I keep telling her the washboard's a good upper body workout.     She's so lucky to have me...    Super Charged Trike, eh?   At the rate I'm going, I'm going to need one just get around...lol

NH:  HAHA!!  You crack me up!! I would have you show me HOW to use the washboard ..........and I'm a slooooow learner so it may take 'years.'  Did you run and bike the same day?  That is 'running by feel'?  Good job on the splits.  The heat/humidity combo takes alot out of runners it seems.  My trail running buddy has lived here longer than me and struggles on each run.   I'm cheating by running short runs on the TM at the gym.  I know I have to get out early (ugh!!!) when I start running longer 'in the woods'.  The flying insects are waiting for their meal, LOL!!

adkkev

I've been a total slacker with my posting ...

Still mixing it up between the elliptical, arc trainer, spin cycle, and treadmill at the gym just about every day except this past Saturday.  On Saturday we did some short hikes down in the northern Catskills.

Here's looking down the Schoharie Valley to the south ... this valley produces some of the best sweet corn I've ever tasted!

5 miles this morning with mostly cloudy skies with a little more humidity as the monsoons are moving back into the area. Skies are a little dark and windy but I think the storms will stay South of us tonight.

AZ - Easy recovery workout thinking about another race. I'll have to look up the Durango Double just to see what it offers. The Garmin talk to me but I turned it off. I put the Nuvi into Off-Road mode and bicycle mode. Off-Road mode is more for a point-to-point drive. Or so the user's guide mentions. When I first tried it out Saturday night in the neighbor it kept telling me to turn here or there. Probably because I didn't input any destination. I'll have to make a different route and see how it does. No bike races. Just looking for some running events.

Art:  SW area has been getting more high temps lately, wow.  Even in Flag.  Hopefully, the monsoons offer some relief ........but then there's flood worries with those.    You don't have to run both HMs to participate in the Durango Double.  There is a 5k run too.  Elevation is about 6500+ ft.  My brother and I will be camping for the weekend.  I love Durango and looking forward to the gorgeous scenic drive especially.  Do you have a bike or helmet mirror?  If you do, what kind?  And do you like it?

adkkev

one of the old carvings in the rock at the top of Vroman's Nose

adkkev

looking up the valley to the north from our perch on "the nose"