50 and over 5k and beyond

August Runs, Workouts and Excuses... (Read 11 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Yesterday drove my car into Rochester so GF would have me drive her around while her car was being fixed. Did some shopping, but mostly waited in a park. Got home late in the afternoon and mowed a bit of my lawn, wanted it to cool off and have less direct sun before I ran. Drove to a place with a nice view and a quiet road. Started my run at 5:30 pm and it was still 80 degrees and sunny, but did not feel bad. My plan this week was to do one run over four miles and I choose one with the first mile being flat, but not pancake flat, more like running up and down bumps in the terrain, then a 110 foot climb from mile one to mile two and then back down on the return. Total distance was 4 1/2 miles, so I exceeded my goal! Took my camera so here are some photos:
    Near the start of my run looking at the long road ahead of me and the uphill climb the second mile. You can see how bumpy the road is at this point, lots of little hills going up and down like waves.

I rested when I got to the top end of the road looking around in this little old cemetery. The sign says established in 1811! Nice and shady place to cool off a little.

Some of the oldest tombstones I saw that I could see any writing on them. One from the wife who died in 1842 and another from the husband who perished in 1860. Guess the Sage family was among the first to be buried here. The man lived long after his wife to a grand age of 95 years!

Now two similar views looking downhill. The road looks quite long in these pictures, amazing I ran the distance! You can see some of the shade trees from the cemetery on the right. Looking down into the valley with some hazy hills on the horizon.

Today got out early before breakfast at 8:25. Sunny, but cool at 68 degrees. The 3,8 mile run I've done a lot lately. Noticed an improvement in my finish time of this course of several minutes. However slowly the improvements I am still glad the training seems to be paying off.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Saturday, 8/7... 5 mile trail run early this morning, out early to beat the heat.  Seems like it's either heat or rain lately...

One last point about the gov't's over-reach, then I'll shut up.  It's good to be engaged and skeptical of what politicians are up to, whether it's mandating vaccines, spending us into bankruptcy, or any of the other stuff they do for our benefit.  Here's the interest, repeat interest paid on the nation's debt each year... Yearly payments on the nation's debt   It's approaching a half trillion dollars!   We can't sustain this kind of out-of-control debt, yet the people whose salary we pay continue to add to it.  Excuse me for being a skeptic, but I just don't trust 'em.  About anything... Rant off...

And how about Molly Seidel winning bronze in the Olympic marathon?!  Finished 2nd in the Olympic qualifier on a very difficult course against 400 other competitors in the first marathon she'd ever run!  After that, you'd have to think there might be something special about this kid, and she didn't disappoint.  Up against the world's best, she was 27 seconds back at the finish from winning gold!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Today, Saturday, I took Sage for 1.4 miles from the lake to the dog run, romped through it meeting various people and dogs, she waded and drank from the creek, and then back to the car. I didn't go any farther because that's enough for her at 78F.  My solo run was an out and back tempo run at 81F and humid, but overcast. A bit of a breeze in my face going out, so it was pretty much dead air coming back. Worked up a good sweat, but maintained a pretty good pace. People on the trail were friendly, which helps.

Altair - Boy, that is a bumpy road you ran on. It must provide a special kind of workout. I'm thinking a cemetery from 1811 isn't too unusual in your neck of the woods. Interesting gravestones. I just checked - the oldest cemetery in Lincoln was established by the legislature in 1869, when the city was 2 years old.

Rich - That is so exciting about Molly Seidel! I watched the end of that, and most of the men's marathon. Kipchoge is astounding. Interesting that Netherlands and Belgium won 2nd and 3rd.

Here's a sweet video of Molly, as she was seeing her family's reaction to her medal: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=823625904960078

NH Runner

Sunday, 8/8... 6 mile trail run that went really well this morning.   Nice to have the stretches I listed in another thread that'll revive tired legs...

Led... just watched the link to Molly's celebration with her family, thanks for sharing!   According to New England Runner magazine, she works 2 jobs and shares an apartment with her sister, who's also a runner, in Boston, I think.  Her days of flying under the radar are over, what a tough runner she is!   Another runner who stood out was 35 year old Alyson Felix, she now shares the record with Carl Lewis with 10 Olympic medals in track and field!  I watched the men's marathon too, and Galen Rupp hung tough for a while, but when Kipchoge dropped a 14:28 5K at 30 km, the outcome of that race was settled!  I was happy to see the Netherlands and Belgium win 2nd and 3rd, I thought for a while we might see a Kenyan sweep!  The heat and humidity in both marathons was brutal!   Nice to get Sage out for a quick romp, then a solid trail run for you, so congrats. for that!

Altair5... the photo of the road you ran looks like a roller coaster track! lol  Congrats. on the 4.5 and 3.8 milers, they're a nice little boost in distance as you work towards gaining fitness!   Oh yeah, the town I live in was established in 1761.  Thanks for sharing the pictures...

dhuffman63

Trails

Well...didn't do anything Sat or Sun. Sat I had a massage and after those I'm just too tired.  Sun I had a migraine and was just too tired to do anything.  I'm back in the office until Fri cause my coworker whom I share an office with is on vacation.

DH's friend, BR, visited us for what turned out to be very casual, laid-back and lots of catching up from Fri-Sun. BR rode his motorcycle from South Dakota to MN so that took most of Friday as he lives at the SD/NE. DH  met him in Fargo on his Harley bike and they rode through Itasca State Park on the way back to our house. I met BR years ago when he practiced in CO and DH keeps in touch with him the most (out of all his other 'friends' from dental school).  On Sat, they rode their motorcycles to International Falls, MN/Canadian border (icebox of the north), then DH took him in his classic Buick for the Saturday Cruise night. The Dragon Boat festival was also over the weekend. We didn't attend, had other things to do and I don't want to be around other people anyway, plus it's just sitting around all day watching the boat races, and eating the most unhealthiest fried food. LOL!

BR wanted to have an extra day (on Monday) to 'recover' from an all day return motorcycle ride back to SD so he wanted to leave Sunday, and DH plan to ride with him to Fargo again. Before they took off, DH noticed on BR's back tire was showing heavy wear. BR still wanted to ride even though DH didn't think it would be safe and offered to trailer him back to SD. BR's bike's tire for his specific bike is not readily available and stores are closed on Sundays.  So they took off and DH texted me an hour later that they are returning to the house, tire is getting worse. So DH tied down the bike on the flat trailer and hauled it to SD. DH is on his way back to MN now. Bones stayed home with me. poor guy! LOL!

Fri: Bones and I finished 5.5 miles. Cool morning with a nice cloud cover.

Sat: Finished 4.5 miles w Bones, another cool morning but got very warm by the time we got home.

Sun: REST. But a good sweaty weight/PiYo workout at home. whew!

Mon (today): 6.6 miles w Bones. Was out the door at 5:30 am!! No clouds, no breeze, blazing sun rising and it's already muggy hot.

NH Runner

Monday, 8/9... 8 mile mtn bike trail ride today.   Hot, humid and no-one out except me and biting insects... Lol

Di... enjoy the break from working at home.  I used to get migraines when I was younger, to the point of vomiting.  Granddaughter gets 'em now, they're no fun.

Saturday, 8/7... 5 mile trail run early this morning, out early to beat the heat.  Seems like it's either heat or rain lately...

Excuse me for being a skeptic, but I just don't trust 'em.  About anything... Rant off...

And how about Molly Seidel winning bronze in the Olympic marathon?!  Finished 2nd in the Olympic qualifier on a very difficult course against 400 other competitors in the first marathon she'd ever run!  After that, you'd have to think there might be something special about this kid, and she didn't disappoint.  Up against the world's best, she was 27 seconds back at the finish from winning gold!

NH:  skeptic here too........and I'm still pro-vaccine. My two cents...... off my soap-box.

It's either heat/muggy or heat/smoky........still waiting for rain. Send some our way!

OMgosh!! I was cheering for Molly Seidel. I was thinking that she should be use to the high temps/high humidity as she is from WI which is very much like MN as summer weather goes. So in that reasoning, I was not surprised she finished although it was such an exciting surprise she medaled. Making her only the 3rd U.S. female to medal in the women's marathon event since it began in 1984. She did train in Flagstaff, AZ as well ......like many other elites. Yes, I agree that the men's marathon was pretty much decided on the winner after 18+ miles. Galen Rupp had a chance to defend his bronze but he just couldn't stay on pace with the 6 others ahead of him.

Today, Saturday, I took Sage for 1.4 miles from the lake to the dog run, romped through it meeting various people and dogs, she waded and drank from the creek, and then back to the car. I didn't go any farther because that's enough for her at 78F.  My solo run was an out and back tempo run at 81F and humid, but overcast. A bit of a breeze in my face going out, so it was pretty much dead air coming back. Worked up a good sweat, but maintained a pretty good pace. People on the trail were friendly, which helps.

Altair - Boy, that is a bumpy road you ran on. It must provide a special kind of workout. I'm thinking a cemetery from 1811 isn't too unusual in your neck of the woods. Interesting gravestones. I just checked - the oldest cemetery in Lincoln was established by the legislature in 1869, when the city was 2 years old.

Rich - That is so exciting about Molly Seidel! I watched the end of that, and most of the men's marathon. Kipchoge is astounding. Interesting that Netherlands and Belgium won 2nd and 3rd.

Here's a sweet video of Molly, as she was seeing her family's reaction to her medal: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=823625904960078

Did you see how the Dutch runner was signaling to the Belgium runner to sprint to the finish to past the other Ethiopian runner?? The Belgium did and he was overcomed, probably was settling for 4th. That was amazing!! I watched many of the events/games for the 17 days.  Loved the women's gold medal win over Brazil in the volleyball, FINALLLY winning the gold. They've won Bronze and silver in the past. The men's basketball between U.S. and France was closer than they thought but U.S. team still remain undefeated, as well as the women's easy win over Japan. Although one should never assumed it's over until it is officially.

Allyson Felix became the most decorated medalled athlete in track and field with 11 medals, one more than Carl Lewis's 10. Very inspiring and exciting!

Can't wait for the winter olympics .....

Well...didn't do anything Sat or Sun. Sat I had a massage and after those I'm just too tired.  Sun I had a migraine and was just too tired to do anything.  I'm back in the office until Fri cause my coworker whom I share an office with is on vacation.

Diane: migraines can be so exhausting! Sorry to hear it put you out. I haven't had one for a few years now, kinda know my 'triggers.'

Massage sounds so nice! I need to have one when I get back to AZ. YAAY!! for vacations, LOL!! Do you get more work done when you're in office? I'm so use to working from home for the last 20 years that I don't think I can work in an office anymore. I travelled quite alot with my work and I enjoyed taking extra days before and after to explore the areas I was at including running races. Hope you get a nice walk today.

Altair: thank you for the photos! such a difference between summer and winter days. I can tell where you are when I see the water tower. The ups and downs of the road may be due to how you have the camera but it looks great, and a nice change to flat roads. Looks like you are staying focus on your progression to add a few paces to your mileage. That's the smart way to do that.

dhuffman63

Trails

AZ, yes and no.  Our office isn't very big and I don't spend time hanging out in the breakroom, even prior.  I got rid of facebook earlier this year as I spent way too much time.  When I'm at home I'm in front of the computer much more mainly cause it's right there first thing in the morning and no driving in. It takes about 40 min to get into work. If I'm honest I spend a lot of time "messing" around either way.  I probably actually "work" 30 hours a week.  Some weeks like the last in the month when it's slow it's probably closer to 20 hours.  I'm trying to create things to do data analysis wise but even so once I've built the script it takes minutes to run.  I've got 5 I wrote for reviews/audits and might take a week and a half to run than then do the analysis and write up the report.  I want to learn Python but I need to get out of this funk so I can actually learn it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Rich - Glad you had a good trail run and a good bike ride. I've admired Felix for quite a while, too. I ran a race with Rupp once. He beat me. Big grin

Di - Massage = good, migraine = bad, but both make you tired. No point in running if you're just not feeling it.

az - Nice runs and workouts. DH and BR have quite the buddy thing going. I think Bones was perfectly happy to stay home with you, and vice versa!  The end of the men's marathon was really cool, even though gold was a foregone conclusion. Yes, we're excited around here about the volleyball outcome, with 3 NE players on the team!  I didn't manage to watch any basketball.

dhuffman63

Trails

Got in my 30 min, 1.41 walk last night.  It was a close call between just doing it and continuing to sit in my chair.  Got my ass up finally.

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/10... out early for another 6 mile trail run this morning.  The mosquitoes are bad this year, and I think all the rain we've had for the last month or more is why, it's given 'em lots of wet places to breed.

Az... Led's right, DH and BR have quite a buddy thing going.  I've said it before, your DH has his priorities in order, seems like a really remarkable guy.  Congrats. on the recent runs, I notice a slight increase in mileage, so you're on a roll, eh?   Must be Alyson Felix ran another event after the announcer said she and Carl Lewis had tied for the number of metal, guess I missed the last one...Lol  American women runners definitely brought their A game to the Olympics!

Led... where you messed up racing Rupp was in not keeping a low profile.  Once he saw you toe the line, he realized he was in for some stiff competition and put in the extra effort to get the win...