50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2016 Masters (Read 11 times)

NH Runner

Friday, 8/12... started out this morning with the intention of running, but my heel felt a little too sore during warm-up, so I changed plans and rode the Mtn Bike 10 miles on the railtrail instead.    Don't know what was up with my heel, hopefully just tight muscles that loosened up during the ride.    Will try running again tomorrow...

az... you're getting in some nice workouts, good for you.    The tryke colors are different, eh? lol    I just have to ride fast enough so people won't notice... lol    I do have a flag for riding the road, but don't use it on the railtrail.    Boomers and beyond, eh?     I avoid that stuff like the plague...

Dan... 2 runs in August, eh?  You're just getting warmed up, you'll get 'em in September... 

Art in AZ

6 miles Friday morning. Storm is out of the area so sunny clear skies for a few days. Still very humid.

4 miles this morning.

Rich - You didn't really miss anything. Race is next Saturday morning. Driving up there Friday. Doesn't matter how we get our exercise just as long as we get out there and do something. That's my reasoning.

AZ - Some more good gym workouts for you. Hopefully the weather was conducive to an outdoor run.

Dan - Now that you are caught up with the paperwork means you have more time for running.

Post run rest and breakfast are over. Off to get a little yard work in.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner Nice photo of the tryke.  You seem to be doing well with the cross-training and the cautious runs.

Art in AZ Hope you have a good race! You have trained a lot for it.

az2mntrail  "took off my helmet and tossed my hair...  Did you bring some fake ID to get into an old people's event?  Some nice workouts for you.  I really like my primroses. They bloom at the beginning of June. Very winter hardy.

justrundan Sounds like you have been busy with the vacation and work.

16 miles on the track. (city sports complex) Hardly anyone there this morning besides the spinning and aerobics class participants. A couple of people on the ellipticals and TM's.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 8/13... took the day off, resting my sore heel.

Sunday, 8/14... cross trained on the tryke today, 10 mile ride on the railtrail.   In thinking about what might have aggravated my heel, the only thing I can think of is the hill in my last run, I was trying to get in some hill work and probably picked on the wrong hill...   At any rate, I'm trying to run through an injury, so should expect these set backs.   The plan now is to cross train on the bike and tryke 'til I can run again, which shouldn't take too long.   I've still got my eye on the half, but no time goal...lol

Art... can't wait to hear how your half went, here's hoping you had a good run.

Chantilly... nice run yesterday, you're mileage is impressive lately.

Chantilly75

NH Runner Are you running in zero-drop shoes? Maybe a shoe with some lift in the heel would help as a change-up on some days? I run in 3-4 different shoes, depending upon what hurts on a given day. Re: mileage: I have the local marathon next month.

6 mile run

11 minutes stationary bike

15 min. walk

yard work

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Got in a 10 mile run this morning. Sort of. First 7.5 miles were fine but then my right foot started acting up. Felt some pain when running on it. So started walking and after 2 miles it felt better so tried to run and it felt OK. So ran the last half mile. Since this is taper week I figure I'll ride the bike tomorrow instead of run.

Chantilly - Nice 16 mile run. Are you still planning on the New Mexico Turtle run?

Rich - You're sure putting the tryke to good use.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Monday, 8/15... still no running, rode the mtn bike 10 miles on the railtrail instead.

Art... it must be old age, I thought your half was this past weekend...lol    Probably smart to ride the bike tomorrow, good luck with your foot.    And nice run yesterday...

Chantilly... yes, my shoes are zero drop.   I used to run in Nikes and still have a couple of pairs kicking around that I walk in now, but my running shoes are light weight and zero drop.    Your post makes sense though, so I bought a pair of shoe inserts that lift your heel today.   I've got 'em in an older pair of running shoes and they seem to take some of the pressure off my heel, so I'll try them in a run.    Not sure whether it'll be tomorrow or not, but next run I'll be wearing them.    Thanks!    Ah... the local marathon explains your longer runs....

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Wise of you not to push it this close to your race. 10 and a bike ride is good. The forecast for NM is still 90'sF, so I doubt I will go, don't want to spend the $ for nothing...still waffling.

NH Runner I wondered about the lift because your heel doesn't hurt when you mtn. bike, and the foot position on the pedals leaves the heel tendon a bit shorter than running would. Hope the change-up helps.

10 miles.

Enjoying the Olympics. Mo Farah falls down and still wins the gold! Nice women's marathon results and good to see how well Andre DeGrasse did in the 100m.

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly:  hope the race in NM goes through but understandable if not considering the expected roasting temps and no shade! Local FM sounds more to your liking and less expensive. That's all what I spend my $$ on but not complaining, love exploring new trails. Watched the same event and not surprised by Mo Farah's determination and poised after the fall but it was still incredible!!

NH:  darn those unrelenting injuries!!  The trkye is an excellent workout to fall back on for your upcoming race.  Hope the inserts help.  I wear insoles and it really helped alleviate Morton's neuroma I was having a few years ago.  I'm more for alternative methods, didn't want any shots or meds.  I wear the insoles even for non-running shoes. Chantilly has great wisdom!!

Art: tough run when you have to walk to compensate for strange hurts/aches.  Tell me about it!!  LOL!! Smart idea to bike tomorrow.  Sometimes a day of rest is the answer, hope it helps.

Saturday:  drove to state park.  Overcast all morning.  Light shower at 5 miles, then it POURED!!  8 miler was cut short to 7.2 miles instead, but it's what TRAIL running is all about! Felt nice and cool though. Gave injury area a 'stretch break' every 1/2 mile, felt better and ran last mile without break, YAY!! Been watching the Olympics every evening.  I was really rooting for Desiree Linden during the women's marathon.  Top 10 placement for all U.S. runners, YAY!!  I think the most incredible story and event was the men's 400m final!! Holy Moly!!  I have to keep watching it several times!!  Sunday:  gym workout, injury area felt okay.  Today: rest day.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail I guess the rain and mud is what trail running's about.  Did it get slippery?

Did you see Shaunae Miller dive across the 400m finish line? A gutsy move, but it paid off.

NH Runner I got a name for your tryke   Isabel ....old joke...is a bell really necessary on my bike?  I know, kinda lame..

rest day due to work.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/16... put the flag on Isabel (I like it) and headed out for one of the few road rides I've done this year.    I wanted 10 miles, but misjudged enough to come up with just over 9, so 9 it is.    The bad part about riding Isabel in public is the stares, you'd think I was riding an elephant or something...   Checked a couple of mile spits and was riding at 6 minute miles, not road bike speed, but not bad for rowing.   I'm still not running, the inserts are making enough difference that I've decided to wear 'em for a few more days and just keep cross training.   My heel's liking the break...

Chantilly... I watched Mo's finish in the 10K, he's so much faster than the competition, coming around the last turn headed for the finish he's unbeatable.    I missed the woman's marathon, but the American women did themselves proud I thought.    Thanks again for the shoe suggestion, it's been an eye opener.    And for the name for my tryke...

az... you're doing well with your injury, do you think it's getting better?    I'm convinced the trouble with my heel stems from a tight hamstring.   I found stretches that loosened the hamstring, but the inflammation in my heel lingers on.    And I agree with alternative methods to deal with an injury.   It's not always easy, but the knowledge gained from working through these things is worth the aggravation.    Congrats on your latest workouts, you're doing pretty dern good...

Art in AZ

Did a 14 mile easy bike ride Monday. Just enough to get the blood flowing and wake up.

5 mile run this morning. Sunny, still very warm but a little drier out. Prepping for Saturday. So far the weather looks good.

Chantilly - I thought the same when the foot started acting up. Felt fine today though. But still taking it easier.

Rich - Nice tryke rides. I like the name also. Chantilly did good. Picking names is such an art. No pun intended.

AZ - So you got a 'little' wet. Trying different trails or routes is part of the enjoyment of running.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly:  Sometimes certain portions of a trail will get slippery (grass/rocks) but this trail had some sandy/loose dirt which soaked up most of the rain.  The paved area of the trail, the last 1/2 mile, is a gradual downhill, I slow down to avoid slipping.  I've run trails (training/racing) in all weather conditions so it is part of DIRT TRAIL running, just slower pace. I'm slow enough with this injury LOL!! Miller's dive for the gold was all the talk on the news but it's a move I've seen in many track races, not graceful at all but it clutches a win for most. Fenix was too upright for the finish but she is awesome to watch. "is a bell" necessary?!? HAHA!!

NH:  Isabel is a cool name   Chantilly is on a streak! Insoles take 'trial and error' with time which can test our patience but the time allows for healing to take place anyway ..........that was my reasoning for my neuroma and it worked out. Does the achillies stretch while doing your hamstrings exercise? I massage my feet after runs also and soak them once/week. Whether it helps or not, at least it feels good.   There are a few 'hand cycles' and recumbent bikes around, must not be too popular there but you might make it so!!

Art:  taper week!  Yeah, weather should cooperate.  Rest up and you'll rock the race.  I'm jealous.  It is such a beautiful scenic drive to Kanab, hope you get some "Kodak moments."  Are you going solo?

Saturday:  7.2 run in the rain. Total for the week: 21.2, YAY!!

Sunday: gym workout. 30 min bike, 15 min elliptical, 30 min weights and 1/2 mile of easy running drills.

Monday: rest day.

Tuesday (yesterday):  Sunny!! So state park again to run in shade of trees and get in some hill repeats on X-country trails. Finished 5.2, nice cool breeze off the lake. Back of knee swelled up even when taking stretch breaks but not every 1/2 mile.  Instead stretched about every 8-10 mins.  Uphills are fine but downhills are a bit awkward so took it easy with some fast walking.  I need to stick with 1/2 mile stretch breaks!! Darn it! Will need to set Garmin as reminder.  R-I-C-E post run while watching Olympics.  Knee/calf area a little stiff this morning.  Another gym workout today.

Chantilly75

NH Runner I hope you continue to do well with the heel. A few years ago, I saw a senior with a hand-bike out on the street, but it looked like a boughten one. Never saw him again.

Art in AZ Good to hear that the soreness didn't amount to anything. Nice biking distance.

az2mntrail Sounds like you are maintaining nicely with your active rest. Have you ever tried myofascial release/ART massage technique? This other clinic I will go to once in awhile does this.  They helped break up a haematoma I had after a bad fall onto my hip one year. It costs a bit more than regular sports' massage.

Thunderstorm. 15 miles on the track. Took a couple minutes walking break every 6 miles, stuffy in there today.

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly:  I think my more than usual 'tightness/stiffness' of my knee/injury area today may have been from the different 'thinner' insoles I wore.  Didn't check until I was on the trail.  Shoe didn't feel snug.  Hope this settles down and will see how my run will be Thursday.  I will check into that particular massage, heard about it.  I 'won' a sports massage based in CO Springs, CO.  She works with many of the athletes who train at the elite training center in 'Springs.'  Looking forward to it, maybe she might make some suggestions.  Planning on having the massage on my trip down to AZ/NM next month and if I like it or feel that it helped, will have another one again on my return trip.  YOU have been invaluable with amazing advice!! WTG on the mileage today, wow!!  I gotta get to the 'stuffy' gym too.