50 and over 5k and beyond

May 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

It rained most of the weekend and actually had snow flurries last night!!%#&!   Yeah, we need the 'moisture' like we need more mosquitoes!!  Anyway, it's so depressing (for me) .......really affected my mental state ...... last run was Saturday while DH biked.  Rest day Sunday, and was hoping to run on Monday around the neighborhood (got all dressed), but it kept RAINING!!  I DID NOT want to go to gym to run on TM.  Got lazy and called it another rest day!   Didn't feel guilty at all, LOL!! Anyway, because of the late night snow flurries, I resigned myself to the likelihood of running on the TM today.  The mini track is closed due to some work/repair  being done near the area that includes part of the track.  Well, after wallowing for a couple of hours (LOL), decided to 'tough it out' despite the temps in the 40s, some light rain/mist here and there, about 10mph wind, cloudy.  I drove to the state park paved bike trail.  Seriously, I've run in colder, worse conditions!!   Ran on paved portions for 3 miles, and 4.1 miles on X-country trails (grassy area). Sun peeped out for awhile after I got home.  Overall, nice easy 7.1. miles.  I anticipate pretty muddy conditions for the Saturday race, although weather predicts no rain, partly cloudy and temps in the 50s.  "it could be worse" ....... I'm excited about it nonetheless.

adkkev

weather kinda questionable this afternoon so I went to the gym instead ... 11 miles on the spin cycle (40 minutes) and 20 minutes on the arc trainer.  Pretty decent workout.

rmcj001

NHRich - Nice double.  The middle miles for 2nd run were good.  You're progressing nicely.

Art - That cold weather is here!  It cooled off late last week and we've been below average for a good spell now.  We might get some more rain on Thursday!  But, hey - important to take advantage of the cooler weather and get some decent running in!

Chantilly - Survived the death week at work and 12 miles to boot!  Nice avatar!

Az - Rain and snow don't sound so bad to me, but then we haven't had much out here   The hay is in the barn for your race this weekend, so don't fret.  Good you got your 7.1 in, keep the rust from setting in.

adkkev - Staying active is always good.  Nice that you have alternatives.

Mon, 5/11, 7.9 easy miles we're a little below average temps and that's fine with me 

Tue, 5/12, 9.9 moderate easy miles at average pace of 8:35

Ray

NH Runner

Wednesday, 5/13... easy day today, an 8 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail.    Legs have been a little sore the last few days, hopefully this ride will fix that...

Art... good luck with the weather, temps in the 90's must be really tough.   Good you got the 5 miler in.   The mature birds are around, just preoccupied with the girls right now.

Chantilly... nice avatar and nice run!

az... like Ray said, the "hay's in the barn".   Can't blame you for the frustration with the weather though, good grief!    Good luck this weekend!

adkkev... the gym seems like a good option for you, nice workout yesterday...

Ray... nice runs Monday and Tuesday.   Quicker pace in yesterday's run felt easy at first, then not so much.    I've been on tired legs for a few days and hoping that's why things got tougher as the run progressed.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Sorry about your weather…..snow and cold rain in May= 

Hope conditions are better for the trail race!

adkkev Good for you to have that gym to get in some nice workouts.

rmcj001  Cooler temps and some rain sounds better for you than last year. Good paces.

NH Runner That bike ride should stretch out your muscles. Do you walk around in boots in the woods?  If so, they might cause your legs to be a bit more tired than usual.

6 miles. 1 hour of yard work yesterday afternoon.  Cold and damp here. Might sign up for the local running group's self supported marathon/HM on July 18, if it's not going to be a hot summer. Already signed up for HM in Sept.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

6 miles morning. 4 miles after lunch.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 5/14... first up today was an 8 mile road run with a fair amount of wind to deal with.   Difficult hill in mile 5, this was another run where I tried to run at half marathon effort...9:21, 9:02, 8:57, 9:00, 10:20, 8:57, 8:56 and 8:52.   Hope the wind isn't blowing on race day...lol  Later in the day I rode the tryke another 5 miles on the railtrail.

Chantilly... yes, on some days I'm wearing a fairly heavy pair of boots in the woods.   There's a lot of water around so water proof boots are necessary.    The other area I'm in is an abandoned ski area and that's where the difficult hiking comes in.    The area's a reservation now, but the local town keeps the ski slopes mowed.   Walking those slopes is the main reason my legs get testy, they're steep! lol   Nice training the last couple of days, hopefully your weather cooperates this summer, not too hot... lol

adkkev

4.5 miles on the nature trail late this afternoon ... absolutely gorgeous running weather today!!

Of course we had frost warnings last night ... figures, after planting our veggie garden last Saturday!  Covered everything last night & I don't think it made it much below 40 degrees overnight.  Might be the same tonight so I'm prepared now!

Nice running Ray!  And Chantilly!  And Az!

Rich - climbing ski slopes is definitely great exercise!!

Art in AZ

8 miles this morning. Warmish feeling but pretty windy. Of course running home was into the wind.

Chantilly - Getting the miles in and working in the garden. Running along the canal isn't much different then running the streets in the morning. Around here there isn't much shade anywhere. And what little there is, after a few seconds you're back in the sun again. So the get out earlier to beat the heat somewhat. But come July and August, it doesn't matter. It's hot and muggy.

AZ and adkkev - nothing like a late winter forget me not to keep things interesting.

Ray - The cool weather is approaching now and they are calling for rain Friday through Saturday morning. I'm not going to water the garden. So that means we're just going to get light drizzles.

Rich - I think riding the bicycle is a good cross training exercise. Which reminds me mine has to go in for a tune up. I can ride it there and then run home the 3 miles. Sounds like a good plan for Saturday. After the rain.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Everyone seems to be maintaining some mileage, way to go!

Took Rest Day on Wed.  RAINED ALL DAY.

Woke up to breezy cloudy and RAIN again. Didn't feel like driving to gym so dressed what I think I might wear for similar conditions on race day (Sat.). in case it does rain.  Temps were 'warmer'....about 51 degrees.  Actually felt pretty good despite the rain and puddles. "It could be worse."  Decided to run around paved portion of neighborhood ......alllllmost made it a mile when a huge dog which I have not seen before ran up fast at me, barking!! Stopped me in my tracks. Was ready to use my pepper spray but he backed off.  I walked as fast as I could as he kept barking and thought he was turning back to the house he came from ........so started running SLOWLY ......and he ran at me again, and backed off again!! He kept barking as he continued walking beside me ALL THE WAY HOME!! About 3/4 mile!!   Got inside home and grabbed a horn (used on boats) and the loud sound scared him into the woods ............ guess he knows a shortcut home!!   So had to reset my Garmin.  Ran along frontage road, then around fairgrounds area, finished about 5.1 miles!! Not counting the .80 mile before the darn dog scared the heck out of me.  Rest day tomorrow.  Leaving for Lutsen, MN after DH gets home from work.  I'll be waiting in the car, LOL!!  It's about a 4.5 hr drive.  Staying the weekend to explore upper Lake Superior.  No rain predicted on race day .......uh, huh.

Website about my SAT. 25k trail run:   http://spring.superiortrailrace.com/race-info/25km-info/

NH Runner

Friday, 5/15... 5 mile railtrail run today, I've developed a slight sore spot on my lower left leg, so took it real easy.   I'm a believer in active recovery, hopefully the increased circulation will quiet things back down...

adkkev... yup, the apple blossoms are out, perfect time for a frost, eh?   A few years ago, a frost totally wiped out our apple crop for the year, there was nothing to pick in the orchards that Fall.    And yeah, between hiking ski slopes and the hike to get to the ski slopes, it's a workout... lol   Nice run yesterday...

Art... nice run yesterday.   Sometimes I ride the bike to cross train, but an easy ride is also a good way to recover from a tough run.    My 3 wheeled row bike is what I'm using now to cross train, it'll be interesting to see how that turns out.   Anyway, tomorrow's plan is a good one, cross train dropping the bike off at the shop, then run home.

az... it's been a while since I've had to deal with an aggressive dog and I've never had one follow me 3/4 of a mile.  What a pain!!    You did well to not spray him with pepper spray, but it doesn't sound a dog that would bite.   Maybe you could drive the neighborhood, find his owners and tell them to restrain him?    Good luck with your race!!!

rmcj001

Wed, 5/13, 10 miles in 1:23:43 - a bit faster then I should have.

Thu, 5/14, 8.6 in 1:13:03 - last mile and half much quicker.  Weather was cooler and expected it to rain on me, but it held off 'til got back to work and then the sky opened up for a little while.

Fri, 7.8 easy miles you'll need to check my log later to see the time, but some where around 69 minutes.  Gorgeous day, rain yesterday cleared all the gunk out of the air.

Az - Good luck with your race tomorrow - we know you'll kill it!  I probably would have tried to make friends with the dog, let him cautiously sniff my hand and then give him a pat or two - my experience is most dogs really just want a bit of love   Couple of weeks ago a dog charged a jogger and he kicked it - a pug I think - and the dog died.  No sympathy here for the dog owner, your dog charges someone when they're off leash, well the only person who was an idiot was the owner!

Art - Here's hopin for more rain! Nice runs!

adkkev - Your nature trail sounds nice!  Weather seems more variable these days.  Ya pays your money and takes your chances...

Chantilly - Nice double!  Some solid runs you got in.

Rich - You're getting some good use out of the Trike!  I agree with you on the active recovery, you might try compression sleeves after the run as well.  Hill work on the slopes can only help, but don't overdo it too soon.

Ray

Chantilly75

NH Runner Hope you can rest up that sore spot a little.

adkkev Hope the frost doesn't hurt your garden.

Art in AZ Did you plant some more in your garden? Good idea to get the bike tuned up.

az2mntrail Glad that you're ok after your dog encounter. Good luck in your race!

rmcj001 Good to hear you have gotten some more rain.  Nice time there for almost 8 miles.

6 miles.  1 hour pulling weeds.

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

5+ miles on the nature trail late this afternoon ... cloudy with a slight breeze, temp about 70.  Supposed to rain overnight ... we need it.

No frost either night so the garden survived!

Az - best wishes on your trail race!!  That looks like quite a trail, plenty of ups and downs.  I bet it's beautiful too.

Rich - hope your leg is feeling better ... you've been getting some nice runs as well as the ski slope climbs & trike riding!

Chantilly - nice double the other day ... sometimes I think weeding is much more work than running!

Ray - nice runs ... you are much faster than I!

Art in AZ

Quick 3 miles this morning under overcast skies and cooler temps. Rained a little awhile ago with some thunder and wild winds. Now it's fairly clear skies before it starts to rain again in a few hours.

AZ - Good luck with your race. Hopefully it won't be too muddy.

Rich - I would think the trike would be a better cross training vehicle because it works more of you upper body while also your legs some. Can't say that for a bike.

Ray - Nice runs there. Do you still have that streak going?

Chantilly - Got the watermelon and squash in. Need to get a second crop going in a couple of weeks. Also want to get another group of peppers planted.

adkkev - Nice run on the nature trail. I wish there were some closer to where I run.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ