50 and over 5k and beyond

July - Too hot to trot (Read 11 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - You are getting in some long runs despite the heat! Good to find those cooler days with a nice breeze! So it does get humid in your area during the summer? I remember when I was there and it was very sunny and dry. Hope all went well with painting the car.

Dan - Good to get an update from you even if you are not running. We all hope the back issues get resolved and you will be able to try some jogging. Bummer about the transmission, at least you can afford a new truck. Good for you to retain a participation in running by being a volunteer at a race!

Led - Interesting coincidence that you and DW are going to a theatre organ recital! I hope you did good in the mile race and look forward to a report!

az - Way to beat the heat by doing an early morning run on Mt Elton! Good that you bettered your time by a quarter of an hour! I wish I was there at the top to see the the view and enjoy the breezes. So, many hikers have to rest or turn around, I wonder how I would feel about the altitude. I hope you got in the long run Saturday.

Rich - I have a lot of stuff stored in my computer, I worry about it crashing someday, need to back up my files! Did you lose data when your's crashed? I'm glad that you were able to run 5 on the trail with no issues, just don't go overboard, it looks like you are back in the game! Have fun with the relatives! Your bell story reminded me of a joke, sorry but it's rather a long shaggy dog story:

Quasimoto was feeling tired and decided to take a vacation. He looked for a long time and found someone who resembled him. He took the replacement up to the church tower to teach him to ring the bell. "Now here's what you do see, run to the bell hitting it with your face (outch!) and start it ringing. " The replacement was scared of heights and closed his eyes so he missed hitting the bell and fell to the pavement outside the cathedral. Two passerbys stopped and turned the body over to see who it was. The first said "Hmm, his face doesn't ring a bell!" the other replied "I don't know either, but he's a dead ringer for Quasimoto!"

I ran like 2 1/2 Monday, rather slow 14 minute miles, but I got to build up gradually. It was sunny, less humid, 72 degrees and with some breezes. Yesterday I spent several hours mowing the lawn, I usually split this task into two days, but got it all done. It was rather hot, sunny and in the mid 80s. I took a dip in the pool, water temperature was like a comfortable 82 degrees. and I then went on a 8 mile bike ride. My legs, already tired from pushing the lawnmower, really felt it going up some hills. Made avocado reuben sandwiches for dinner and drank a whole pitcher of iced green tea! I had planned to run after dinner, but was just worn out. I think I will go out for a run now, will take it easy since it is already in the upper 80s! Will update when done.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So, hi everyone, and thanks for having me. Again, I may be sporadic and terse, 'cause that's kind of how I am.

Random thoughts as I read your posts...

"His face doesn't ring a bell." <GROAN>

Avocado reubens...<Never thought of that...sounds yummy!>

As for my running, I began at the pretty advanced age of 55, and got strongly hooked. I do it primarily becauseI feel a whole lot healthier than I used to, prior to running, and I like that a lot. Trying to stave off the aging thing, you know.  It may help that I've been reasonably competitive in my age group, though I don't think that's my main motivation. I have run 12 marathons, and MCM in October will be my 13th.

As for my mile race last Sunday, I did a 7:13.  That's actually my slowest mile race yet, and I'm still chewing on what it means. I felt I gave it a good, strong effort, yet at the end I wasn't hacking and dying like I used to, so maybe I didn't give it my all. Good enough, I guess. There's always the second guessing of maybe if I had tried a little harder...

Moving on, though, this morning I had a run at dawn under mammatus clouds, a few sprinkles, and a big rainbow in the southwest.  It was lovely.

(Wikipedia's photo, not mine)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Just finished a run of 3.87 miles. Partly cloudy out and 88 degrees. Halfway through my run the sweat started to drip into my eyes. I wished I had brought my water bottle, not only to wet my whistle,  but to squirt some into my burning eyes. I decided to stop and rest in the shade for a few minutes.When I resumed the sun was behind clouds and there was the slightest breeze, felt better! However, a phone call a short distance later meant another rest stop. Finished in a bit over an hour, note I count rest stops as part of my total time. Jumped in the pool to quickly cool off.

Led - It may seem a poor showing for you but I think a 7:13 mile to be very fast!  I said this one before, but if you are not puking or passing out then perhaps you did not make your best effort! As for aging, I just know I start to feel old and tired when I am not running. The clouds, if they looked like the wiki photo, must have been amazing! I am a vegetarian and I missed having reuben sandwiches, so I looked at different recipes online to come up with a substitute! Here is the directions (I  already had this stored on my computer) for those Avocado Reubens:

Avocado Reuben Sandwiches

Ingredients:

Avocado

Rye Bread

Swiss cheese

Sauerkraut

Butter

Russian dressing

Heat can of sauerkraut on stove. Cut avocado into slices. Heat up frying pan to low, medium heat. Lightly butter two slices of bread on one side, try to cover lightly the whole side. Place one slice on the frying pan butter side down. Add a layer of Swiss cheese. Put some slices of avocado, then a layer of the warm sauerkraut. Spread some Russian dressing on top, then another layer of Swiss cheese. Cover with the other slice of rye bread, butter side up. Check with spatula to see if bottom is now toasted to a golden brown, if so carefully flip sandwich, if not cover pan with lid so whole sandwich will heat up and the cheese will melt, but check often to see when ready to turn over. After you have turned it over to toast the other side then cover again with lid. Check often. When the other side is toasted remove sandwich to plate, cut sandwich as desired, enjoy!

Happy WED!!

Saturday:  10.2 miles on trail near home.  I hope to get in a long run 14-16 but decided against it since I have a 20K mountain race this Saturday.  Need to take the 'tapering' seriously .......... I want to feel rested and healthy.  Still got up early and so glad it was partly cloudy which was ideal for a long run, nice cool breeze along the single track, couple of decent rocky hills, don't want to overdo it ....... it was a good run. DH and I worked on the bath remodel, and the yard, and just enjoyed the nice day with tempting the cat and her 3 kittens with tuna fish and milk.  I think we have become adoptive owners The mom cat is getting use to us as she is not afraid to let us massage her head/neck but the kittens are still skittish. They know where their next meal is, LOL!

Sunday:  rest day.  Was going to get in a short run but had family stop by for a visit, on their way to Phoenix for an event. They got up really early to visit with us!! So DH made an awesome breakfast. Later in the evening, DH and I attended a 'concert' at Ft. Tuthill, the 108th army band who made the trip from Phoenix. It lasted just over an hour.  I'm sure they enjoyed the 'cold' temps of northern AZ, LOL!!  Afterwards, we decided to eat a light dinner.  We don't go out much anymore (prefer to cook at home) so it was a treat.

Monday:  got up with a mild earache that radiated to side of mouth, making it very sensitive to the touch.  WEIRD. I'm thinking it's from sleeping with the fan on...... I don't like it but DH does. So it became a rest day.

Tuesday:  felt better so got up early for a short run, 4.2 miles on different trail.

Wed:  today, I had an early meeting so it's rest day.  But I might get in another short run this evening.  Rain predicted tomorrow!  But I will be leaving tomorrow and staying at our 'work home' (where DH is) and then, driving to race location on Friday to set up camp.  DH will be flying to MN again on Saturday for about 10 days so I won't see him till he returns.  Niece who is working in Page as tour guide will be off and staying at our home for the weekend so she can feed the cat/kittens.

Altair:  thank you for the recipe!! It sure does sound yummy! I sweat alot so I have a mini 'towel' I carry on my waistbelt and/or a buff.  The sweat can really burn so I tend to wear a good cap that soaks it up but I also wet the towel/buff to wipe it off.  It's a constant thing no matter the weather.  Good job on the almost 4 miles!!

LedLincoln:  Amazing mile finish time, speedy!! WOW!!  That is great that you have run that many marathons, and MCM is a popular race.  Maybe 'one of these days' I'll run that.  I've been running all my life and feeling the aches now in my late 50s. I'm more of a technical dirt trail runner, not crazy about road running but I run a road marathon now and then, mostly as a training run for my ultras.  We have our 'monsoon' season coming up later this month and into August so lots of lightening shows and pretty clouds Thanks for the photo!

NH:  oh dear!! That would be a huge crisis for many, glad you got your computer back up and running.  That's a fear all the time on my laptop and desktop so I do download all important documents/photos on external drive. I keep warning DH about it but the usual "I know, I need to do that."   YAY!! On your PF complaining less, feels good I bet!!  Maybe the ladies really don't 'hear' but I still love their comeback.  I scare hikers/walkers when they are in a loud conversation and I have to yell "HELLO!!!" You still should keep the bell, just sounds so 'cute.' LOL!!

Art:  you are a die-hard trooper to run in that sizzling heat, even a little 'humidity' makes a huge difference there.  I might have to be in PHX for a day seminar but I'm trying to get out of it, LOL!! What car are you working on? Did you take 'before' and 'during' photos?  Do you have a garage that you work in? You must! 

Brilliant

Hi there,

Altair invited me to join the group.  I'm happy to join you as some of my favorite activities are: running, reading about running, talking about running, etc.  My husband is traveling tonight so I'll probably be watching a movie about running   He refuses to watch those so I have to work through my list when he's gone.  Last month I watched 3100: Run and Become which I recommend.

I'm in SoCal and this morning seemed like the first true day of summer for us.  We have a marine layer of cloud cover most mornings in June...this year we made it to July 9.  But today I was running in already-warm sunshine at 6:45.   From a quick scan of previous posts, it looks like at least a couple of you are in Arizona? So I won't complain too much.

NH Runner

Wednesday, 7/10... 5 mile trail run...

Thursday, 7/11... 5 mile tryke ride on the trail.   For the new posters, the tryke's a 3 wheeled creation of mine that's propelled by rowing.   I made it to serve as an upper body workout to compliment running and it's actually kind' a fun to ride.   Being in a gym doesn't appeal to me and the tryke solves that problem nicely...

Brilliant... glad to see you posting, welcome aboard!   Another Californian posts here, but Ray's been sporadic lately.   Not sure where he lives in the state, but the San Francisco area is probably close.

To everyone else, stop yer braggin'.   I'm the only one here with the potential to break a world record at whatever distance I choose, I just need to train harder and drop a few pounds...    Playing golf with family shortly, that's it for now...

Hi Brilliant!! So glad you joined!! And finally another female!! I live in northern AZ, the mountain areas, at least 7000 ft in elevation here so we can get the cool breezes in the summer and winter snow for a day or so.  LOVE IT!! However, it's been HOT here, in the 70s and 80s.  Yes, that's HOT for us, LOL!! I enjoy a good read on running adventures and movies, documentary ones in particular.  My DH sounds like your DH. I talk about my running trails, gear, etc all the time with my RB in MN and sometimes DH starts 'running' in slow motion, yeah, he's hilarious!!   Hope you can share a background of your running and when/where/what is your next race?

NH:  Happy to hear you are getting some miles in again!! The tryke is really doing well still, keeping up with your demanding rigorous training schedule

Was going to run in the evening yesterday but didn't get home till dark.  So I got up early and was on the trail at 5:45 am!! Yes, I was Finished 4.1 miles. Leaving this afternoon.  Camp tomorrow at race location.  20K Trail race starts at 9 am!! It's in the mountains at the AZ/NM stateline.  Been there YEARS ago and it was pretty shaded so hope it doesn't get too hot.  A friend of mine will be running the 10K and she is bringing her DH and son. They will be camping as well. YAY!!

rmcj001

hello folks!

Been awhile. Too long, anyway...

LedLincoln and Brilliant welcome to the group!

Rich - good to see that the foot is finally cooperating!  And yes, the tryke is an awesome project and means of exercising!

Dan - happy to hear that things are improving and am hopeful that there will be good news for you back and you.

Az - some good trail runs and races!

Art - Mr consistency in running and gardening.  Tho, I think led my be a bit more consistent in his runs...

Last months half marathon race was probably my best race in over a year.  I've run the course quite a few times and have done better, but this was only my second time running at this particular time of year.  Maybe it was a little cooler then normal, but pretty much executed my plan for this race. Took it out just a bit slower then normal and faded a little less then I expected.  It was interesting, there was a man who passed me in the first 1/2 mile and caught back up to him around 2 miles and we were together until the aid station around mile 7.5. He was in the 40-49 AG and was hoping to finish under 1:45. I told him I was in the 60 and figured that 1:45 should be good enough to win my age group. He stopped at the AS and I didn't.  A couple other runners stopped as well so believe I was around 12th at this point.  My mile times were getting slower here, but was sticking close to 8mm.  Trails up til mile 9 were pretty much dirt with embedded rocks. I was expecting to speed up when we hit the asphalt and I did from mile 9 to 11 and caught a couple more runners. Mile 12 was a big slow down, but by then the temps were a bit higher and the sweat dripping into my eyes was stinging.  Last mile were back onto dirt trails and I thought I was all by myself. with about 1/2 mile or so to go I started to hear/feel another runner. This course finishes on an uphill and so I tried to increase my pace. Couldn't seem to shake the other runner and I wasn't willing to turn back and take a look, but he seemed to be getting closer. Didn't have much left as we hit the final uphill, but gave it as much as I felt I could. Figured if nothing else I would make them work to get that next spot.  Well, he didn't catch me and I think I put a little extra space (but not much) between us at the finish. Time was 1:43:12 - good enough for 9th OA, 8th male and 1st in AG.

Checking the pictures the next day, the runner behind me was very close - don't know if he was being polite in not passing me at the end or didn't have anything left to finish the job, but he was right there. The runner who had been with me for the first 1/2 of the race faded to a 1:49

Next race SF Marathon...

Ray

Art in AZ

3.6 miles Thursday morning before going to work. Got out early just so I could get a short run in. Weather is hot now. Temp was 90 when I started and high today was 114. Looks to be like this for a few days. I miss a couple of days and see there's lots of postings.

Welcome to Brilliant. I see AZ is happy with another female runner. I'm in the Phoenix area so we get a little warmer weather than most. Was at Disneyland a month ago and enjoyed the cooler mornings and those overcast skies early.

LedLincoln - I agree with the others. A 7:13 is a good time.

Altair - Nice couple of runs getting back into it. Yes, the heat with the humidity sure takes it out of you sometimes. That sandwich sounds good. I like reubens.

AZ - You're ready for your Saturday race. I hope the weather cooperates for you. I'm working on 2 of the Jensen-Healeys. One's in the garage and is getting a new battery, tune-up, maintenance stuff since it's too hot right now to be out in the car. The other is out back in a semi-protected area. I just primed part of the body getting ready to paint the engine compartment and a few other areas. Need to do these areas first before I start putting it back together. I have some pictures but there's nothing really to show.

Rich - Good news that your foot feels healed and you're able to run again. Nice cross-training also.

Ray - That's a great time and congrats on your age group win.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, cool, I wasn't expecting to see this much activity when I joined the group. Nice to get acquainted with you all!

Altair: Thanks for the recipe; my mouth is watering.  I'll be watching for good avocados.

az2: I totally understand your preference for trails. It's an aesthetic thing, right? I don't do enough off-road runs, but now I'm considering changing up my long run plans for tomorrow. We have a nice trail in what's called Wilderness Park that I might check out. Sometimes the issue there is outrunning the mosquitoes.

Wilderness Park trail:

Brilliant: Welcome! When you're obsessed with running and spouse is not, we kinda have to keep it bottled up, don't we? Smile  On the other hand, I tend to wander off when she's watching her bike racing.

rmcj: Congrats on your HM! That sounds like a finish to be proud of, outrunning whoever was chasing you, and placing so high!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hi all! I had training classes yesterday and today. I think I mentioned I am an aide in a state group home and the training was for defensive techniques we might need to use for aggressive behaviors. I got home about 5 PM, but was too tired to run yesterday. Today I got in a short mile and a half after dinner, did not start until 8:30 and I wanted to finish before dark. Cooler out, but still rather humid. Well, at least I got what I consider minimum since this makes my third run of the week for a whopping 8 miles, plus the bike ride.of the same distance. At least it is a start. I need to decide soon if I would be able to ramp up my distance to do the half in early September, a scant 6 weeks away.

az - Good luck with the 20K mountain race! Even if you did not get in the 14-16 long runs I think you did good preparation for it! I thought about a small towel for the sweat, but a water bottle works good to rinse the eyes. I have tried a sweat band, but it gets soaked in a few hundred feet.

Brilliant - I am glad you decided to join us, I know az is happy not to be the only female! Nice to have sun, but then you get the heat too! I was looking for good running movies so I will listen to any recommendations.

Rich - Great that you are now running 5 miles with no reported issues. You get in good cross training with that tryke.

Ray -  Great to hear another race report from you! Fantastic that you ran one of your best races this year! Seems like a lot of your competition faded near the end, yet you were able to finish strong! Good luck getting ready for the SF Marathon.

Art - Smart to get out early before that heat sets in, those temperatures sound brutal, no matter if the humidity is low. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the Jensen-Healeys, I had to look it up on internet, sharp looking sports cars. $23,000 each?

Led - the Wilderness Park looks like a nice place to run. Like you I am concerned about mosquitoes and also deer flies when I run on those trails in the summer.

Tomorrow I agreed to work a double shift, 7 am to 10:30 pm, in return for Sunday off, so you may not hear from me until then.

Art in AZ

4.7 miles Friday morning. With the monsoon weather getting close, the morning was cloudy which kept the sun out. Still hot out but a slight chance of rain here.

Led - Now that looks like a nice place to run. Something to look at and some shade. But I agree, the mosquitoes would be a bother.

Altair - Hopefully you're not to tired from working a double that you don't get your run in.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

So yes, I first did two miles with my dog, alongside the lake and through the dog park. We have nice morning runs. Then I went for my solo run, inspired by az2mn to get out of my rut and run in some wilder territory. Only about six miles of it is backcountry; the rest is a rails-to-trails trail. Took my phone and gave the mosquitoes a fighting chance by stopping for photos at each bridge. Had a surprising thunderstorm that hit for a couple of miles late in the run. It was actually fairly refreshing. Now I'm tired and working on rehydrating with water and iced tea. Eight pounds lost suggests that I sweated a gallon! There could be hard cider later to help with the evening rehydration.  Fifteen slow miles, total.

NH Runner

Friday, 7/12... ran 6 miles on the railtrail this morning in really humid air and mildly hot temps.   The ol' deer flies are back and hungry as ever, what a great little motivators they are to keep you running at a decent pace...

Saturday, 7/13... mtn. bike trail ride today, 8 miles at a pace too fast for most of the deer flies...

Led... congrats. on your mile time, that was pretty fast!   The wilderness park trail definitely looks like a great place to outrun mosquitoes, eh? lol

AltaIr5... you're a busy man!   And riding a bike now too!   I like the bike as a way to get circulation going in my legs on a non-running day, it's a great way to recover.   Your joke didn't crack me up, but I did get a kick out of it...Lol

az... smart miles leading up to today's race, here's hoping you have a good run!   You do realize that cats own you and not the other way around, right? Lol   Nice that you took them in.   I kept the bike bell, it's too small to turn into a lamp, but I'll figure out something...Lol

Brilliant... do you run foot races?   They're fun in that we get to spend time with like minded people doing something we all love.

Ray... you ol' Speedster, congrats on a fine HM race!   You must be happy with the way you're running, you're holding up really well and running fast times.  Good luck at San Francisco!

Art... congrats on the almost 5 miler.   You've done a nice job running in the heat, I'm curious if you lose weight this time of year because of it.   My weight fluctuates with the weather, gain when it's cold, lose when it's hot...Lol