50 and over 5k and beyond

December - Run Run Ruldolf! (Read 17 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Starting the month with a title from a Chuck Berry Christmas song! Today was the 12th day since my last run, been busy with other things. A light covering of snow on the ground, but roads were clear. Partly cloudy, windy and my car thermometer said 32 degrees, my first sub freezing run this fall! Wore sweatpants, long sleeve shirt, a hat and gloves and a hat. Soon warmed to the cold with a 170 foot climb the first mile. Turned around and ran back, easier downhill, for 2 1/4 miles total. With my runs being infrequent lately I just took it easy with speed and distance.

This is just about the turnaround point I did on this road and this part is flat. I  think that silo like structure in the background is actually a water tower and the road curves in front of it. The climbing part was around that curve.

A distant view of some hills. The haziness on the left of the picture could be light snow falling miles away.

You can see a light snowfall on the fields and blue sky through one of the breaks in the cloud cover. That tower appears again in the distance.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

From Altar5's post last month...  " Rich - I'm glad if you intend to keep checking in now and then. I miss your humor and information you often provide. The link about the trigger points was interesting and may explain problems I've had with a stiff neck and upper back in the past, but nothing that seems to affect my running. I guess trigger points are like knots in the muscle."

I've highlighted the part we should discuss.  Yes, trigger points is just another way of saying knots in your muscles.  And if they're not tended to, they'll get worse over time.  To the point where they'll actually shorten a muscle and limit the range of motion in the joint the muscle's involved in.  So yes, they can affect your running.  Look no further than az's posts, she's always mentioning how she foam rolls and no-one can deny, she's the most accomplished runner in the group.

Anyway, if you've never had a deep tissue massage, you should probably give one a try, it's purpose is to break down trigger points.  If that's not an option, here's a short video of a doctor with a visual explanation for how to release trigger points using a foam roller the way az does. Foam roll your quads   Foam rollers aren't expensive and I'm betting you'll be shocked the first time you give one a try, breaking down knots can be painful... Lol

Anyway, I stopped by to explain why I've backed away from posting so often here and it has to do with trigger points in my legs.  I didn't realize what it was at first, but after icing, stretching and doing all sorts of things to get rid of the ache in my legs, I've finally figured out it's trigger points that have formed deep in my quads.  I'm doing like the doctor recommends but it's not an easy process, you can actually bruise your muscles if you get too carried away.  Az will probably check in on this, but I'd advise you to give a foam roller a try.  The one in the video is exactly what I'm using, but there are different versions.  And as a final thought, you can have multiple trigger points and never know it 'til you get on a foam roller.

Good luck with training Altair5 and as usual, the pictures are always a treat.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Rich - Good to hear from you again! As far as I know I've not gotten and trigger points from running, maybe because most of my running is at a slow comfortable pace that does not cause the micro tearing and injuries to the muscles. My muscles can get sore and I have a stick roller to use on them, but haven't used it for a while. I will get a foam roller to try. By the way my doctor has advised me to consider going for physical therapy, I would just have to do like a $20 copay per visit. As I start some speed training this may become a good idea!

Thursday was 45 degrees and sunny when I started my run mid afternoon. I wore a tee shirt and shorts. I ran a continuation of Wednesday's course going further down that road. Most of the snow was melted but for a few spots in the shade. Some winds made it feel chilly at first but soon warmed by my exertions. I had intended to just do 4 miles but it was such a nice day I went for a 5 miler! By the end temperature had risen to 48 degrees.

An old shed, very small, barely as tall as me.

Some dark furrows make an interesting pattern in this field.

Caledonia Road with a bare tree.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

az - Good job on all those trail runs you do, some nice distances! I looked at the Mount Elden link, beautiful pictures! The Fatman's loop section looks like a nice run, similar to some of the pine forests I have run through, but the Elden Lookout trail looks like a jumble of boulders! I would have a rough time running on that! When you do technical trails do you look at your feet all the time to watch your footing?

Rich - Not sure if it's az or Ray who is the most accomplished in our group, although az excels on those trails!

Trying to run more consistent and got out for 2 1/2 miles today. Rain is predicted late afternoon and it might become snow flurries later during the night. Over cast and 45 degrees at 1 pm when I started. Wore sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt but felt some chilly winds in the beginning, but my body warmed up during the run. Felt a few drops of rain just before my turnaround point, but luckily it did not turn into rain, would have been a cold run if I got wet!

These pictures of the roads must get boring, but it shows what I ran on. This road crosses yesterday's road so the landscape was similar

A view of the cloudy sky

This closeup of the same view shows some light in the distance, but it was all overcast where I was.

Passed this place with the sign "Retsof Mill."  On my way to the turnaround point I heard machinery and saw some grain falling on that pile in the shed, but it had stopped when I took this picture on my way back.

NH Runner

Rich - Good to hear from you again! As far as I know I've not gotten and trigger points from running, maybe because most of my running is at a slow comfortable pace that does not cause the micro tearing and injuries to the muscles. My muscles can get sore and I have a stick roller to use on them, but haven't used it for a while. I will get a foam roller to try. By the way my doctor has advised me to consider going for physical therapy, I would just have to do like a $20 copay per visit. As I start some speed training this may become a good idea!

Just so we're clear, hotspots can form just from being dehydrated.  They're supposed to be surrounded by liquid and if your muscles are not due dehydration, muscle fibers will stick to each other and form a knot.  My daughter dabbled with running for a while, but never took it serious.  I remember the first time she tried using my foam roller, she literally couldn't do it because of the pain involved when she hit a hotspot...Lol  She wasn't experienced in how to use one and that didn't help, but the point is, they can form in your legs without you even knowing they're there.

And yes, Ray's an exception runner also, but running 50K (31+ mile) races on mountain trails at elevation the way az does takes a different level of fitness, that was my point...

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hi everyone! Bet you've forgotten me! Wink  I took an unplanned hiatus from the group, for no particular reason. Guess I've been preoccupied with home and work - nothing bad, just my brain being busy, I think.  Not much to report on my running...just maintaining the routine of a mile or two with the dog followed by a solo run. Most of my weeks have been around 40, but this week was under 30, just 'cause I didn't particularly care. 

Signed up for a race a couple of days ago. The race is in March, and I don't think Covid will be conquered by then, but since I got a free entry due to winning an AG last year, there's nothing to lose. Maybe the race will happen; who knows?

I'm trying to catch up on your posts, at least skimming them.  I'll keep at it for a while.

Altair - I'm familiar with Altair as a bright star in the summer triangle. I don't recall reading any sci-fi references to it, but I'm not surprised. Thanks for sharing all the lovely pics. I'm enjoying them.  I don't carry my phone when I run, generally, or I would do likewise.  Your garden is irresistable to the groundhog. Not surprising.

RichardR - Welcome to the group! I believe I know you from my early days on RA - pretty sure you did something nice for me.  Our weather seems to be in a holding pattern too. Morning lows in the 20s, warming up to 40 or 50 in the day. No change in the foreseeable future. Interesting questions you have about training, overtraining, and rest. I'm pretty comfortable now with 40/week. My daily runs are nowhere near 8:00 - that's more like race pace for me. My easy runs are typically in the 10 - 10:30 range. If I ever go into a marathon training cycle again, I'll need to get up to at least 60, and that takes a toll. Cumulative fatigue is a real thing, and recovery takes longer at my age. Last marathon cycle I decided to not do a long run every Saturday; instead alternate long Saturdays with 9-10 mile tempo Saturdays. I think I'll do that next time as well.  Now, reading your second post about it, I'll say that the great bulk of my running is easy paced, as I said, 10 - 10:30. I do any kind of speed work no more often than 2x per week.  I don't train by HR.

Do I understand correctly that you're moving to Houston soon?

Vintagerunner - And another new voice! Nice to have you here!  Walking or running, another perspective is great. Also, sounds like you're doing well after your double bypass. Are you really a fellow Nebraskan??

az - Glad we're seeing more from you again. Glad you're still able to get in lots of trail running. So you stop during races to take pics! Big grin Feel free to post some for us. And now you've got snow!  So boring here. Your PT sounds pretty interesting. I'd be up for experiencing that, but not to the extent that I want a condition that requires it! Smile

Art - How's your car coming? I may have missed some posts about it.  I'm still jealous of your veggies, and all your biking!

Ray - Congrats on your new "small" dog!  And a runner to boot!  Can't tell you how much I love dogs!  Good job on your Coastal Challenge! My goal was to get 2020 in 2020, and it looks like I'll get it done.

Rich - Really sorry if you've signed out, but your next post encourages me that you might stop by occasionally to share info about trigger points or tryking!  As for trigger points, I seem to be quite lucky. Maybe I don't push myself hard enough to get them, or I keep hydrated, or something. Keep stopping in when you can!

Art in AZ

Catching up here.

Last Wednesday got in 3.9 miles plus the exercise.

Thursday another 3.9 miles and decided I wanted to add a little more exercise to my routine for a while. So instead of 2 sets of push-ups I did three. Decided my routine was to routine with not enough variety and wasn't really adding anything so figured I could do more.

4.7 miles Friday morning with the exercise in the middle.

5 miles Saturday morning with exercise.

4.9 miles Sunday morning. Just a walk to give my arms a day of rest.

Saw the doctor and told him about my knee. He looked at it and suggested I go to a physical therapist and see what they think. So Tuesday morning I have an appointment for an initial look and see what they think. Other than that they say I am in great health.

Altair - Looking at some of those pictures it sure felt like it was a cold and damp day. Quite different from here.

Rich - Hope you get those issues fixed and thinking again of running.

Led - I know you'll get your 2020 miles in this year. I have been working on the car getting it ready for the road. Got it tuned and brakes bled last week. Working on getting the carbs adjusted for an emissions test and doing a basic alignment. The few places I checked only do an electronic alignment based on the car information in the machine's computer. So I have to find some place that can do it the old fashioned way.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

From Altar5's post last month...  " Rich - I'm glad if you intend to keep checking in now and then. I miss your humor and information you often provide. The link about the trigger points was interesting and may explain problems I've had with a stiff neck and upper back in the past, but nothing that seems to affect my running. I guess trigger points are like knots in the muscle."

I've highlighted the part we should discuss.  Yes, trigger points is just another way of saying knots in your muscles.  And if they're not tended to, they'll get worse over time.  To the point where they'll actually shorten a muscle and limit the range of motion in the joint the muscle's involved in.  So yes, they can affect your running.  Look no further than az's posts, she's always mentioning how she foam rolls and no-one can deny, she's the most accomplished runner in the group.

Anyway, if you've never had a deep tissue massage, you should probably give one a try, it's purpose is to break down trigger points.  If that's not an option, here's a short video of a doctor with a visual explanation for how to release trigger points using a foam roller the way az does. Foam roll your quads   Foam rollers aren't expensive and I'm betting you'll be shocked the first time you give one a try, breaking down knots can be painful... Lol

Anyway, I stopped by to explain why I've backed away from posting so often here and it has to do with trigger points in my legs.  I didn't realize what it was at first, but after icing, stretching and doing all sorts of things to get rid of the ache in my legs, I've finally figured out it's trigger points that have formed deep in my quads.  I'm doing like the doctor recommends but it's not an easy process, you can actually bruise your muscles if you get too carried away.  Az will probably check in on this, but I'd advise you to give a foam roller a try.  The one in the video is exactly what I'm using, but there are different versions.  And as a final thought, you can have multiple trigger points and never know it 'til you get on a foam roller.

Good luck with training Altair5 and as usual, the pictures are always a treat.

NH:  this is why you are missed!! I couldn't say it any better. I'm all for foam rolling each time I run and even on my days of rest.  I read articles on foam rolling and other techniques to lessen sore spots ..... mostly from Trail running magazines. One says to keep foam rolling even when you end up in the nursing home, LOL!! I'm gonna try that when I'm 90, haha!

So good to hear from you. Stay in touch! Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones!

az - Good job on all those trail runs you do, some nice distances! I looked at the Mount Elden link, beautiful pictures! The Fatman's loop section looks like a nice run, similar to some of the pine forests I have run through, but the Elden Lookout trail looks like a jumble of boulders! I would have a rough time running on that! When you do technical trails do you look at your feet all the time to watch your footing?

Rich - Not sure if it's az or Ray who is the most accomplished in our group, although az excels on those trails!

Trying to run more consistent and got out for 2 1/2 miles today. Rain is predicted late afternoon and it might become snow flurries later during the night. Over cast and 45 degrees at 1 pm when I started. Wore sweatpants and a long sleeve shirt but felt some chilly winds in the beginning, but my body warmed up during the run. Felt a few drops of rain just before my turnaround point, but luckily it did not turn into rain, would have been a cold run if I got wet!

Thanks Altair. Ray is amazing and a fast runner on roads.  I'm just glad I'm still running ........ and on trails. Yes. That's what makes trail running so engaging...... IMO. I'm never bored on running trails. I look a few feet ahead all the time to guide my manuevers when it comes to obstacles and uphills. Yes, much of the trail on Mt Elden is rocky but the trail is runnable in many sections. The 'hiking' part is on the more steep and larger rocks to climb up on. It's mostly for strength training and stamina on how to climb at higher elevations. The downhill portion on the way back is actually more work for my knee so I do take it easy. There are other trails that connect to this at the top and towards the bottom which I add to my daily training and run on more. Lately, it's ben really nice due to less people during the work days, gets kinda 'crowded' on weekends esp in the summer. I avoid those.

Just checking in everyone. Not too many changes here. DH and the dog, Mr Bones, finally arrived from MN. Long drive from MN. So wonderful to have other voices in the house, LOL!!

Have a PT appt this morning. So I have to go.  My running is still between 4-10 miles. About 4-5X/week ...... till snow and/or too cold, windy. Until then, I'm trying to stay consistent.

Will check in when I can.

Take care and stay safe! Happy Holidays!

RichardR

Little to say from my end, either.  Weather colder here in SW Indiana. I've had to break out the running pants the last couple of days.  But, nothing to report.  Just running and enjoying it.

AZ - Where in MN do you summer?  I think I asked, but I've forgotten.  I know the whole state well.

Happy December everyone.

Art in AZ

3.9 miles Monday morning.

Tuesday morning saw the physical therapist. Did my 3.9 miles after the visit. Of course, when I got up my knee felt fine. After checking out the knee the thought was I have early arthritis and it was flaring up some and my muscles were tight. She kept telling me to relax my leg when it was relaxed to me. Did some stretches and could feel the difference between the knees. Also looks like I wasn't stretching enough. By that, she said I should hold my stretches for 30 seconds. I wasn't doing them for that long. More like 5-10 seconds. So we'll see how things improve over the next couple of weeks.

AZ - Even if the weather turns bad, you'll still find a way to get out on the trails.

Richard - That's part of running. Being able to get out and run and enjoy the time outside admiring what we are doing.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 12/9... I'm taking some time off from running to address the chronic inflammation and stubborn hotspots in my quads lately.  Nothing serious, just something that takes time to heal.  And just so we're clear, I'm no expert on running,but love to research things that  might help me improve as a runner.  So, in that vein, I'd like to give RichardR something to read. His question last month...

"For those with lots of experience running, at what point mileage wise do you note a big difference in how you feel through the day, or how you feel running - but the question is not really about mileage load.  I'm thinking more like this.....at low mileage, one doesn't need as much variety in pace, because, for example, 2 miles done at tempo pace is really just 2 miles, and the body can handle a recovery from that - at least that seems to be the case at my age (53).  But, as the mileage increases, recovery becomes much more important, because, for example....at 50 miles a week, with an off day, one would be running a 10-12 mile long run, and an average of 6-8 on the other days.  Surely, the majority of that must be done with little stress and very aerobically, in order to have the necessary recovery.    So, at how many miles does it become imperative to be careful to run easy on easy days....?  I'm sure this will vary from person to person, but I am curious the answer."

I hope this isn't something you're already familiar with Richard, but it's all about building a base.  With the idea of running a lot of slow mileage at first to increase the Mitochondria and Capillaries in your muscles... Here's the article... https://www.podiumrunner.com/training/build-better-aerobic-base/  If you're unfamiliar with Mitochondria, here's a good read... http://www.mrc-mbu.cam.ac.uk/what-are-mitochondria  Hope this helps...

Art... so now you know what you're dealing with in your knee, that's a good start!  And probably good news considering the alternatives. I expect at some point I'll be a regular poster here again.  The trigger points are a pain in the neck, but it looks like I'm also dealing with Quadricep Tendonitis, apparently a common ailment for runners, which is really just inflammation of the quads.  You may remember me complaining about having a hard time recovering after a run, so the inflammation's been going on for a while.  At least it's something I can fix, I was beginning to wonder there for a while...Lol

Az... yeah, I pay attention when you describe your off days where you're stretching, cross training and foam rolling.  In other words, the important stuff! Lol  Enjoy the holidays as well Az, and time spent with family!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Rich - I am glad you provided more details of your quad issues and that the trigger points and inflammation are treatable. I suggest that drinking freshly made vegetable and fruit juices may be a great help due to their anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties. You would need to have a juicing machine and there are many recipes online. Thank you for the continued advice about foam rolling. I have gotten dehydrated on long runs on hot days. One time I measured a 7 pound weight loss during a run despite carrying a 32 oz water bottle to drink.! I will try my stick roller and will get a foam roller, but I'm still skeptical that I will feel painful trigger points when I try it. My biggest concerns right now are my joints and tendons which can feel sore after a hard workout and which I have had injuries with before. That is why I just make gradual progress and try not to overdo it. The link to building an aerobic base was informative. I learned I should include some tempo pace in with my building up a high millage base but should be careful not to go too fast and cause damage to the mitochondria.

Led - I figured you have been busy and I'm happy to see you posting here again! Consistency is good and so keeping to the routine of the dog plus solo run each day and typically a 40 mile week is great! I hope you will be able to run the March race, perhaps enough people will be vaccinated by then. Marathon training does involve a lot of weekly millage but I have heard 45 miles per week is sufficient, but it seems most Boston qualifiers get up to a 100 mile week! My name comes from the 1956 science fiction movie "Forbidden Planet" where they land on the planet "Altair 4". Mistakenly I got the planet number wrong in choosing my name. Forbidden Planet was the first movie I ever saw in a theatre and it featured Robby the Robot who later appeared on a lot of TV shows.

Art - Good job with the consistent 4 to 5 mile runs and the added push ups! Good that you got advice from the doctor and hope the stretching will improve the tight muscles and arthritis. Perhaps you would also be helped by the anti inflammatory properties of fresh vegetable juice and you could make use of veggies from the garden that might go to waste! The photos are a way to share what the running conditions are where I live and how they change with the seasons.

az - Thanks for the info about trail running! So you do just hike on those rough rocky segments. Downhills can be stressful if very steep. Good consistent running, I guess you do between 30 or 40 miles per week. So was Mr. Bones named after the minstrel show character?

Richard - I'm interested in how cold it gets in SW Indiana and what clothes you use to adapt to it. This time of the year it can vary from day to day so December 3rd had me in shorts and tee shirt on a sunny 46 degree day, but lately with temps in the low 30s I've had to wear sweatpants, thermal shirt covered by a long sleeve shirt, light gloves and a hat. Heavier clothing will be needed in the upcoming months.

I will post details and photos of my runs this week later on. I am trying to be more consistent getting out for like a short run each day rather than just doing a single long run each week. If the soreness in my legs is any indication I am getting a good workout. Still, I am glad to have gotten in some long distance runs while the weather was perfect. Spring and autumn have the best temperatures and most years I am too busy to really enjoy them.

RichardR

Altair- Weather in SW Indiana....Well, so far the coldest we've had in the morning has been about 25.  I like to run in the mid to late morning, if I can, and here, even on those cold mornings, it's been mid to high 30s and sun by the time I like to run.  The sun really warms me up, so in that weather I run in shorts and t-shirt.  However, there were 2 days last week where the weather was more like 30 degrees, spitting snow, and windy.  In weather like that, I go for simple running pants, long sleeve shirt (fleece in one case), and gloves, but only gloves until I warm up and/or turn out of the wind.  I'm a strange duck.  I deal with cold very well.

Historically, at about 15-20 degrees in need something to cover my ears.  This would be light glove weather.  Very light.  Like, cotton gloves.  Still single layer top and bottom, though.

If the windchill heads below zero....then running gloves, earband, 2nd layer on top. Full shorts under the running pants

10 below....Still, earband.  Running gloves.  2 layers on top. Now I MIGHT, depending on the wind, switch to tights and wind pants bottom.

Pretty much it stays like that until...

-30 or -40 windchill.  Now, MAYBE a hat.  Definitely face mask.  If high winds, it's a full face masks, total coverage.  But, if it's just cold air, not.  And, a 3rd layer top.  And, a 3rd layer hips/groin.

I have been out for 3-5 miles once or twice in -50 or more windchill.  When it's like that, you love the downwind portion a lot, because the 12 mph wind difference between into the wind and with it makes a huge difference in the feels-like-temp.

This is of course, unique to me.  I am sure that I use fewer layers than most runners.  Like I said, I deal with cold very well.

Heat.....that's another story.  So, wish me luck next summer in Houston.