50 and over 5k and beyond

November Runs & Workouts 2016 (Read 10 times)

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Nice HM time/placement for you on a steep course.Does that help you with your FM training?  It must have been hard to hike for 2 hrs. in the rain, but it sounds pretty scenic.

Art in AZ Moving up from 1:50's to 1:48...WTG! Your training is paying off. The race sounds like it was well managed. Too bad about the bike...are you going to get new tires?

az2ntrail Sorry to hear of your accident...thank goodness that you and your husband are ok! I never heard of air bags down at the bottom of the car. Hope they didn't hurt you much. It will be difficult for you to rest till the end of the year.  Will you be going to the gym instead of running on the trails?

NH Runner Some good runs for you and tryking...that's a lot of mileage.  No wonder you can lift doors for your neighbour! Was that supervisor at work a younger fella? I had received some ageism at my old job, but the young ones on this unit are nice.

justrundan Hope you do well in your 10Km! Nice that your wife will be able to retire, not you, yet?

6 miles on Sat. & Sun.

Unable to post because computer/cable was down.Apparently got fried during the last power outage, even with a surge protector. All fixed now.

6 miles today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Unscheduled rest day. To bad since the weather was great this morning.

Ray - Nothing like getting a surprise on the course on race day. Congrats on the time and placement. The goat heads are what usually cause flats for me also. The last one was a small thin sharp piece of plastic. The patch couldn't handle the small hole.

Rich - Nice ride.

Chantilly - Consistent running the past few days. The tire is new and free of sharp things. I double-checked to make sure. Just the hole in the tube was too big for the patch. It was worth a try. I did get a couple of extra tubes to have on hand. Just in case.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Each day has been dreary, temps in the 40s during the day but it's suppose to 'warm up' this weekend, yay!!  Right calf area is a gorgeous shade of purple , a bit tender if I lay on my right side. Nothing serious.  DH's bruise on back of right calf showed up on Sunday.  No soreness/aches/pains though. Insurance co is already working on it.  Not sure if it will be 'totaled' so will wait to see what we will do after the decision. DH will be flying back to AZ on Sat. for a whole week so I have the use of his truck but he does have his old chevy car as well.  I have not made it to the gym since returning to MN.  Will attempt it next week.  Been stretching and cycling on my trainer at home though.  Really don't feel like going anywhere, don't have to so just staying home.

Art:  WOW!! CONGRATS on the finish time!!  Those training runs are handing you some PRs!! wooohooo!!  Do you recognize any runners when you run local races?  I don't think I've run the PHX 1/2 ......yet.  Good luck this weekend!! bummer on the flat tire that ruined the whole day. Did you ever take a 'bike maintenance class?'  I always think that I could learn to change a tire in 'seconds flat' if I ever took one of those, LOL!!  It takes me forever now but it's been a LONG time since I had to deal w/ a flat bike tire.  I can change a flat car tire though.

NH:  those tryke rides have really strengthen your core I think.  I bet it didn't feel too great for the younger worker seeing you lift doors, WTG!! I've work in a profession that doesn't really have anything to do w/ physical strength but there is some skepticism on how abreast/competent you are when it comes to clinical skills. Yes, please post the beef stew recipe!

Dan:  how did the 10k go? Where was it?

Ray:  still blazing those runs!!  WTG!!

Chantilly:  do power outage occur more due to weather? or was it something else?  Nice mileage on consecutive days!!

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Hope your tire stays inflated now so that you can get more bagels...Good luck on Sunday.

az2mntrail Sorry to hear that you did get injured quite a bit from those lower air bags. Don't blame you for not wanting to go out..Maybe have some rest.

Our power goes out 4-5 times every summer and it is not always due to lightning.

14 miles on the track.  A marathon training group was there doing speedwork.

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

4 miles today running around the neighborhood. Now that the weather is back to normal time to start thinking of going for some hikes in the nearby Superstition Mountains. And then there's the Mesa Turkey Trot 10K coming up.

AZ - Weather there sure sounds like a bummer. Hopefully the sun will arrive soon. At least you have the bicycle trainer at the house for when you feel the need for some exercise. I can get the tire and tube off and on fairly easy with my hands. This time I didn't have any replacements on hand so I had to go out and get them. I try to keep the bike well maintained by cleaning and lubricating the chain, gears and cables.

Chantilly - Solid run on the track. I see a bagel run in the future. Only one bagel in the freezer right now and that is Sunday's pre-race breakfast.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 11/2... 8.5 mile railtrail mtn bike ride today.  Temp hit 64 degrees today, a one day wonder I had to take advantage of...

Chantilly... I suppose the difficulties I had with the Supervisor could be attributed to Ageism, this individual was about a 35 y.o. male.   He was at best a "B" person and felt intimidated by anyone who might threaten his position.   He drove away a number of excellent people simply by using his position of authority.   I'd been self-employed for over 25 years, working for companies like Stanley Tools, G.E. and Ethan Allen Furniture before the 2008 recession caught up with me.   After that and going to work for one of my former customers, I just didn't have the patience to deal with the guy and decided to retire instead.   And yeah, the tryke makes a great upper body workout.    You're getting in a lot of solid workouts lately, nice!

Art... you're going to nail this half on Sunday, really taking care of the legs so they'll be ready to roll.   I like your plan...

az... if it ain't one thing, it's another, eh?   Just what you need is a bruised calf.    Our weather's been similar to yours, but we warmed up today, then the temp's going to start dropping again.    It won't hurt if you get comfortable taking a few days off, this leg injury of yours will definitely make good use of the break.    Just think how nice it'll  be to be able to just run again without the distraction of a pesky leg injury.   I'll find the stew recipe and add the link here   Keep smilin' az...better days are ahead.         Here's the stew link.   http://www.mrfood.com/Stew-Recipes/Burgundy-Beef-Stew    I cook it in a cast iron, enamel pot and simmer the meat 'til it's fork tender, then start adding the other ingredients.   It's comfort food at its best, you'll thank me for this one...lol

Chantilly75

ART in AZ Nice for you to be cooling off there now. The hike sounds like it would be interesting.

NH Runner That supervisor reminds me of the old book "The Peter Principle." Do you remember it?  It was popular in the '70's.

Nice bike ride on the trail.

5 miles outside. Cleaned up some flower beds.

Sonata Arctica

What about them Chicago Cubs?!?  OMgoodness, what a series!! I've watched them all and this 7 game was definitely a nail-biter!! Tied up, rain delay, extra inning!! Just an incredible game!! Was rooting for the Cubs and I was on the edge of my seat throughout the game!! Oh my!! I love these type of games, no matter the sport or teams. WOW!!

NH: thanks so much for the recipe, looks delicious! Will definitely make it this weekend.  And really appreciate the kind words, I take it to heart and I know it's part of healing from within.  It's tough but trying to remain optimistic through the winter months especially.  My poor right leg has had alot to deal with and certainly is holding me to my promise of taking time off from running.  Wonder if snow-shoeing will cause any problems?  A goal of mine is to do a snow-shoe run, 5k or 10k, before moving back to AZ.  I didn't like dealing w/ many co-workers who felt threatened by my experience, skills, education, etc. even though I was mostly working as a 'temp' to fill their clinic schedule.  Too much drama (actually insecurity).......ugh!! I'm happy w/ my own business, just me.  You and DW are enjoying retirement though!!

Chantilly:  so you're getting flower beds ready for next planting season?  Way to stay consistent on your training.  Any tips from the running group? yeah, this does force me to take time off.  It's sad when I look in the garage and not see my car .

Art:  you need to stock up on the bagels!! Turkey Trots are always so much fun.  I did one in Peoria a few years ago, less registration cost if you bring an unwrapped toy for kids, and if you place in Age group, you get your choice of a pie!!  I've been thinking of taking up hiking ........since my brother and I want to hike the AZ trail someday.  Need to practice setting up tent, cooking, etc. in my backyard, LOL!! That will help me decide on what to carry on the long hike.

Ray:  hope the training is coming along w/ you and DW.

Dan:  temps are nice here so your area should benefit from it too. Hope your schedule slows down to enjoy the upcoming holidays w/ family.

NH Runner

Thursday, 11/3... Rained most of the day, but I managed to get in a 4 mile railtrail run late in the day.   I'd have run faster, but the mist got my clothes wet and the added weight slowed me down.   That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

Chantilly... 5 miles outside, you must have had nice weather today...    Got to get them in now before the cold arrives for good...lol    The Peter Principle rings a bell, but I don't remember the particulars.    I tend to forget how we're all different, instead expecting everyone to think the way I do...lol

Az... I'm curious what you'll think of the stew.   There's not a lot of broth when it's done, but it's enough.   Like I said, I don't follow the timing for how long to cook the meat, keep simmering 'til it's fork tender.   Once someone's been self-employed, they forget about the office politics and different personalities that come up in a normal work environment.    It's quite an adjustment to go back, isn't it? lol   And yeah, DW and I are content where we are in life at this point, I can honestly say I love life.   How 'bout those Cubs, eh?  What a game and what a story!

Art in AZ

3 mile run this morning under overcast skies and damp from a sprinkle during the night. Rain drops still on car.

Right now it's raining out so no cooking on the grill tonight. Temp went from the 80s to the 70s with the rain. Suppose to be good running weather this Sunday.

Rich - Nice way to take advantage of a nice day by getting in a bike ride. Second with dealing with people who have trouble with their position. Too bad the higher ups didn't see the issue or they chose to ignore it. I'm like 'Just tell me what you want done and I'll go do it.'

Chantilly - Weather was nice enough to go outside and run. The "trouble" with hiking around here is deciding which trail to go to. Everyone has their favorite and of course their all over the place.

AZ - Being from Chicago and living in Mesa I was glad the Cubs won. I saw parts of the game and it was exciting. I like your idea of a long hike. Bringing a tent and supplies. Unfortunately, a long hike with everyone is usually no longer than 4 hours. A normal hike is a couple of hours because some of the members don't exercise enough.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Wow, posted on October's thread in November...but, at least it only referenced October postings...

Chantilly - At least things weren't down for too long. Never had too many problems with our original DSL line, but when we did - it was never easy to get it back. So glad to be rid of it, but still miss our static IP.

Az - we call that hiking and camping thing backpacking  DW won't do that, she wants a bed. Game 7 was a classic - listened to most of 8th on car radio and got home with Rajai coming to bat. Took a couple of minutes to get things situated and say "hello" with DW. Turned on TV and it was already 9th inning and tied. Course Tivo was booked to record things and it switched off WS.  Had to go to backroom to catch the 10th. Luckily there was the rain delay.

Rich - Nice to take advantage of the weather. Some good work outs, hey you're moving faster then those couch potatoes.

Art  - Sounds like things could be good for you next race. Never let the rain get in the way of a BBQ meal. Nothing quite like standing in the rain and watching the steam come off the BBQ.

Looks like I'll get to use my new Docent skills soon. DW and I will be taking out some college students on a night hike on the 15th. Should be fun.

Tue, 11/1, 7.3 mile easy run after work. Fairly cool, but legs still a bit tired from Saturday.

Wed, 11/2, 7.8 miles slightly harder then Tue, forgot watch so used fitbit to time. Weather was tad warmer, but ran a bit later.

Thu, 11/3, 8.1 mile progressive run - nothing overboard as should be in taper mode. Weather was a bit warmer and ran a bit earlier then Wed.

Either today or tomorrow will hit 8000 miles running recorded on log here at RA.  That includes a few races from 2012, but basically started using RA in 2013 to record all my runs and walks.

Ray

NH Runner

Friday, 11/4... 10 mile tryke ride on the railtrail today, temp was mid 40's with a breeze.   I want to ride as long as I can this Fall, then see if I can adapt a bike trainer to the tryke.   The problem is the tire diameter, Isabell's are 20 inch and trainers seem to start at 26.

Was surprised to see this video come up on Face Book today... https://www.facebook.com/FloTrack/videos/10154777776994445/  It's about Molly Huddle, the 5K and 10K women's record holder here in the U.S.    She's entered to run the NYC Marathon this weekend, her first.    Should be someone to watch...

Art... good luck Sunday!!

Ray... 8,000 miles since 2013 is serious mileage, congrats!    Can't remember when your next marathon is, but it must be close with you tapering.   Nice mileage the last few runs!

NH:  been following Molly Huddle the last couple of years.  She ran the 10 miler race in the Twin Cities last year.  Heartbreaking and stunned when she got beat by Infeld in the IAAF.  Never celebrate too early.  She made an incredible debut in the NYC today!! WOW!! I was cheering her on the last 1/2 mile, so close to finishing 2nd! But 3rd is AMAZING!!  5th place finisher is Diane Nukuri who lives in Flagstaff, AZ, 8th place women finisher is from CO!! The men's race was great from the start.  5 Americans finished top 10!! Abdi Abdirahman lives/runs in Flagstaff, AZ!!  I was cheering him on from the start.  I've seen him a couple of times in Flag.  9th place finisher is from Aravada, CO (suburb of Denver) and 10th place is from Santa Fe, NM!!  Awesome to see strong runners from the SW!! I watched WABC News Live Streaming and they interviewed Jamil Coury, CEO of Aravaipa Running!! https://www.aravaiparunning.com/about/  An ultra runner, he ran NYC just to record the race. I know 2 runners so been tracking them.  They are still hanging in there!  I have a friend coming for dinner tonight and I'm making the beef stew, it smells so delicious!! Getting the tryke's tires on the trainer will take some McGyver type of a solution, you can do it!!

Art:  waiting for the RR!!

Ray:  OMG!! That's alot of miles!! Not surprised though, Mr. Speedy!! DH is a hotel guy so he says he can meet us w/ supplies in the comfort of his vehicle when DB and I go on the AZ backpacking hike. LOL!!

Chantilly:  Are there hiking trails around your area?

Art in AZ

Turned out to be a good day for running, ...., racing. Goal was to beat last week's time and get first in age group. Stepped out of the house to check weather and it was a little warmer than last weekend. Still nice though. Got to the race site in downtown Phoenix at 6:30 AM. Got my bib and shirt and went back to car to get rid of shirt. Warmed up by walking around and looking at a few of the vendors. Lined up about 8-10 rows back. Let the fast kids be in front. And we're off. Typical crush going through the gates and then trying to get around the slow people and a woman with a jogging stroller. Clear them and start trying to find my rhythm. I pass people and people pass me. Not feeling anything yet so try and remember the course with all the turns in the first couple of miles. Feel like I found my pace after passing the 2 mile mark. Pass the 3 mile mark and there's a timer board indicating 5K time. My was 22 something. OK I think I might be going too fast as that would be a new PR if this was a 5K. But pace feels good so I stay with it  Sun is blocked by the tall buildings when running so still feels nice out. Nothing to really look at  but buildings so I just focus on my pace, my tunes and staying near the people around me. Come up to the 10K timer board and I see 47:22. That would be a new PR if this was a 10K. I'm pleased with the time because it doesn't feel like I'm running that fast. I start trying to figure out what my half could be. But initially don't believe it but then I start thinking why not. I know I'll beat my time from last week unless something drastic happens so I just go back to running.

Finally start seeing the runners coming towards us so we must be getting to the turnaround point. Get to that point and we're heading back to the finish line. Pass mile marker 8 so just a little over 5 miles to go. The course is flat but it is also boring. Unless you like looking at buildings. So I keep watching the few people in front of me and can hear someone just behind me. Mile 10 and a couple of people pass me. My mind must not of liked that because I start going a little faster. Eventually I pass the 3 people ahead of me. But now there's a good 20-30 second gap between me and the next group. Mile 12 and one of the guys I passed starts trying to pass me. I don't think so and start trying to pass him again. Pass him on the second turn from the finish. The gap ahead has closed a little but not to be done today. Stay ahead of guy behind me and see the timer showing 1:45:19 when I cross. Wow, I'm impressed seeing that and feel a smile on my face. Unless the speed demons came out I will have accomplished both my goals for today.

Grabbed a banana and a drink walk around to cool off and listen to the band playing good ole rock and roll. Go to the car and drop off my stuff and walk around the vendor area waiting for the official times to be posted. Place is crowed because of all the 5K, 10K, half and kid runners. Find results tent and it shows a time of 1:45:17 and first place. Yipee! So far, so good. Collect my age group win medal and head to the car thinking of what race to do next.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art in AZ

Ray - That's some impressive mileage accumulating there. And there is still basically 2 months to go for this year. And good running during the week. Even if it is supposed to be a taper week.

Rich - Getting in all the tryke rides as possible. If you can't adapt the tryke to the trainer, couldn't you build some kind of stands for the wheels. If I'm thinking correctly of what you want to do.

AZ - Seeing you're making the stew is making me hungry now. Since it's lunch time off I go to get something to eat.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ