50 and over 5k and beyond

September 2022-cooler days? (Read 12 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Little Blue, Litchfield Hills, Re-Run and ooligan - it was exciting to hear from new members to our forum, but haven't heard from any of you for a while.

Blue - last post you mentioned knee problem, maybe you aren't running now, but we are here for mutual support and encouragement and would like to know how you are doing!

Hills- We seemed to have things in common as far as training and location, I miss your input.

Re-Run and ooligan - you each put in a couple of posts and then stopped, you would be welcome anytime if you want to make a post. Just because some of us write long posts don't feel intimidated, a brief comment like "you are all running well" and some idea of your activities would be nice.

Led - You are doing more races than any of us, guess Az will give you some competition once she settles back in. Good luck Sunday! You were one of the faster ones who finished the race before dark! Nice company to give lunch and time off for good sales! I like fruit flavored beers, I know I've tried citrus, strawberry, apricot and other flavors, not sure if I've had mango! The ID on the watch is comfortable, don't notice it's there, and since I always use my GPS watch I will not forget it! I try to photograph the historical markers as I come across them. I wonder if there is a data base showing where they all are located.

Art - My condolences on your family loss, a bad year too lose three family members, perhaps they are together in heaven. Good you got in those lake runs in Wisconsin, running is a chance to put your thoughts together and overcome grief. Well, you are getting in runs despite all the work, but I know it can be hard to train when the schedule is busy! My running is more consistent now that I'm retired.

Az - With the mountain in the back I did think of you in the photo! I wonder where that place is, the boardwalk over the grass area would be a fun run! You are getting in favorite trail runs with Bones now that you're back. Usually it is the woman who has too many clothes! I have too many shirts since I don't throw a lot away, but pants seem to wear out quick! I do have a few shirts from the 70's, but get made fun of for wearing those old styles! Considered getting a bike myself when I looked at electric ones in a magazine today, but maybe I'd be safer in a car! Never thought about how it would be hard to ride after a race! Guess the ideal is to have a driver so you can just chill.

Speaking of clothes I got another pair in the mail yesterday, but for casual wear, not running! They are made of hemp, but have a warning you will get sick if you smoke them! Still in the box, but may go up to the beach at Lake Ontario with GF tomorrow, good time to wear them!

You may remember I mentioned the Strava heatmap where all your routes get marked in color. Because I started with Strava in 2019 some of the local runs I had done in prior years were not marked, so I mapped out ten runs that would cover missing roads. These past weeks I've been trying to finish these and today I did the last one! Now all the local roads I have run are marked, I think! Here is the map, you can see a scale bar on the lower right which shows two miles and all these runs could fit in a circle of about ten miles radius. Note my runs are constrained on the East by Lake Conesus and to the West I have the Genesee River and can only cross where there are bridges.

Because my woods clean up project continues I just did some short runs. Thursday was sunny and a cool 65 degrees. I did 3.85 miles and just this and Tuesdays runs equaled the 10.8 total miles of the week before! I noticed a nice increase in pace, maybe because legs are more recovered from shorter distances? Just to give an idea of scale I marked this run in red on the map above.

A bit of golden color in the fields and clear blue skies. This is just outside of the village and the beginning of farmland.

Usually I've been alternating runs with yardwork, but figured I'd do a short 4 miler and finish the Heatmap goal! Mostly overcast, but 60 degrees (Summer temperatures in the 80's will return this weekend). A bit slower today, maybe legs were tired from the faster pace of Thursday's run. On the map above I marked this run in orange!
    Soy fields. Seeing a lot of fields being harvested now.

Second mile was on a busy road I don't often run because of the traffic. Wish the shoulder was wider.

I did pass St. Timothy's Lutheran Church. When I worked at the group home I would take individuals there. Nice people at the Church, perhaps I'll start attending!

Back on quiet roads after that. Passed this flower bed with what looks like a griffin holding a flag!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Altair: hope the new members check in to read the posts and that we miss them. Life happens I know. But I think other social groups may be more ‘exciting’ than ours, ha.   Such a colorful photo of the flowers, very catching and hard to not stop to appreciate it on a run.   DH’s aunt loves her e-bike. I don’t ride my mountain bike or the all-terrain bike as much as I should. I won’t ride on shoulder of highway. I have to haul it to trails since the trails near our neighborhood are closed. Who knows for how long. How was the trip with GF?

Led: bet you were done before I had my coffee. Waiting for the RR  Hope the post-activities were just as fun as the race. How many runners? Did DW and other family run and/or cheer you on? I gotta catch up with you like Altair was speculating regarding races……but I think I have a better chance on catching up with race distances than number of races, LOL! Regardless, most important is you and everyone on here keep me motivated 

Saturday (yesterday): drove to Aspen Corner with Bones. It’s literally on the other side of the mountain, up Snowbowl road. It’s a popular hiking/Mt biking/running trail on the AZT. At least 8,000 ft. I waited till after 1 pm to let the early tourists/hikers/bikers to leave so less annoying ppl to come across. It was breezy but sunny. Out and back, 8.1 easy miles. About 3.5 miles is the metal post with distance to Utah state line and Mexican border as part of the AZT. It’s really one of the most gorgeous scenic areas and a favorite of mine….. without the crowds.

Maybe Altair can post a couple of photos.

Most ppl continue onto Bismarck Lake but I ran the 1/2 mile staying on the AZT before turning back.

The Stagecoach Line 100 miles and 55K Ultra run took place Saturday and Sunday. I would post a link here if I was on my laptop but I’m on my phone. 
          My total for the week was 24 miles. 
          Will get in a short run later today.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Got the Buffalo Run done. Managed to run it a little faster than my last race, even though it's a lot hillier. Not up to my ambitious goal, though. It was a nice cool but humid morning. This race is put on by Lincoln Track Club, and they don't do the finish party thing that the commercial race promoters do.  They do have post race snacks - oranges, bananas, cookies, water (of course), soda, (all appreciated) and some cold brew coffee (not my thing). This is a venerable race - the 46th annual. There were two runners who have done it all 46 times!

I plan to do a little yard work and then relax the rest of the day.

Art - Sorry you've had another death in the family.

Az - Makes sense that riding after a race is not a good idea.  It's great that you are back to your beautiful, scenic runs!  You will for sure catch up to me on miles raced.  I do have two more races this season - the Market to Market relay, which will be probably 12 or 13 miles, and a HM.  Then I can take it easy through the holidays.

Altair - That Strava map reveals that you've covered an awful lot of territory with your running. Way to go!  Don't smoke your shorts! Big grin

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Unfortunately my computer monitor went dead yesterday. I had bought it second hand like 15 years ago, so lucky it lasted as long as it did. Got a new monitor right away! My old one was a 19" and the new one is 27"! Quite a difference when looking at my pictures, so much more detail appears! One thing is that the new one has a curved screen, takes getting used to, but I really feel immersed in the screen pictures!

Sunny and warm this morning and I did more yardwork. I planned to run too, but it became cloudy with the threat of rain in the afternoon, so no run.

Az - I find this group exciting, but some may prefer other groups as you say. It gives me a bit of rest when I see something interesting and stop to get a photo. I've thought of an E-bike, but would rather tough it out with human power! I don't recall if Led has done any ultras, but you are the distance Queen! Such beautiful scenery on your trails, but people can be annoying sometimes. Usually, once I'm out of the village I don't see any other runners, maybe a cyclist or two. I'll cover the beach trip in another post. I'll post some Aspen Corners pictures for you, but you know anyone could do a quick online search and come up with a lot of images.

Led - Congratulations on completing the Buffalo Run! I see it is the oldest race hosted in Lincoln. I was imagining being chased by buffalo like the bulls in the Bull Run! Too bad no mango beer this time! guess chocolate milk would be the best post race drink, but water and soda are great! Note there is a controversy of what to call soft drinks, is it "soda" or "pop"! Dedicated runners to have completed the race all 46 times! I have covered a lot of roads in my runs, but it's such a small portion of what's out there! Wish I had done some real distances, like a cross country Forest Gump run! I guess I should have specified the hemp product I got was a pair of shoes, not shorts! Unfortunately they fit too narrow and I plan to return them.

Not gonna smoke my shorts, but you can   

Art in AZ

Friday morning 4.2 miles and then off to work.

Saturday morning 5 miles with exercises and then some stuff around the house. Prepped both bike and car for Sunday trips.

Sunday morning did the 14 mile bagel run. Had a little more breakfast and went for a car ride in the Jensen. Stopped at the nursery and picked up some broccoli, cauliflower and lettuce plants. Planted them in one of the sections and also did beets, onions, radishes and spinach. After a couple of weeks or so I'll do another section.

Thanks everyone for the condolences.

AZ - Only ran on a small portion of the Arizona Trail. Want to do more some day. Yes, the weather is getting better down here also. Morning temps in the mid 70s instead of the mid 8os.

Altair - I try not to schedule anything for first thing in the morning so I have time to go out to run, walk or bike. But sometimes it can't be done. You have covered a lot of area around there. That's the way to see different things. The tree pictures look like a nice place to run. I have a couple of 27" curved monitors by Samsung. I like the way they wrap around and make it easier to look at the screens.

Led - Congrats on another race completed. Having a little something to offer at the end of a race is always appreciated. Doing all 46 races, now that's dedication..

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Beautiful day yesterday, perhaps the last hurrah of summer! We left early afternoon to travel up to the beach on Lake Ontario, a long drive from where we live. When we got there we went to Abbot's to get ice cream, I had a Mexican Sunday and GF a milkshake. I grew up living on the South shore of Long Island, within walking distance of a beach and with canals and boat all around. Now I love upstate NY with the farmlands and woods, but miss being near the ocean. Lake Ontario is not the Atlantic, but it was nice to be next to a large body of water, smell the shoreline, see waves and watch boats.
                  Here is the Port of Rochester. There used to be a fast ferry across the lake to Toronto here, but it became a bit of a boondoggle. This is just part of the boats docked here, in back of the buildings there are many sailboats.

Here is one of those sailboats, nice wind for them! Wish I could afford one of these!

The Genesee River empties out into lake Ontario here and there are two long piers on either side. Here is looking towards shore from the Charlotte Pier.

And from the pier another sailboat

Here is Ontario Beach, a few people were out wading in the water on the warm day

Some small waves from the wind

Lots of gulls on the beach as well. The poles are for volleyball.

The shoreline looking towards the pier

There is also a park here with picnic tables and the Denzil Carousel, recently reopened and restored. I found the motion of the carousel blurred much of the photos, but still very colorful!

Got a closeup of a horse and ostrich after it stopped

Here is the band organ for the carousel, love the sound of these! I may look for a CD of carousel music!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Art - You crammed in lots of weekend activities, exercises, bagel run, ride in Jensen and garden work! As long as you had fun it's good. You realize the tree pictures I posted were ones I found for where AZ did her run on the trail as per her suggestion. If you can get up early that's a good time for the run, especially if you want it cooler and to get it done before going to work.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just light runs this morning, cool but 98% humidity.  Legs a bit slow due to yesterday's exertions.  I'll post one more thing about the race:

That climb at the end of mile 3 is pretty brutal.  Maybe it wouldn't be for Altair and AZ, who do lots of hill work.

Altair - Glad you got a nice monitor with which to admire your pictures. I have not done any ultras - marathon is my limit, and I'm not sure I'll be doing any more of those!  Oh, it was your shoes you were considering smoking, not your shorts. My bad. Big grin  Now that you're retired, maybe a Forrest Gump run is the thing for you, whaddya think?   Glad you and GF had a great getaway to Lake Ontario. Nice pics from that setting. The blurriness in the carousel pictures gives a great sense of motion.

Art - Buying your produce at the nursery and finishing it at home is great - saves some money, but more importantly, the quality!

Art in AZ

Monday morning got in 4.2 miles before heading out to work. Probably the same for the rest of the week. Thought things would be slow but guess not.

Altair - My bad on getting the pictures wrong. That's what I get for speed reading through the posts. Still would be a nice place to run. That was the plan for Sunday. Do the bagel run, then a car ride and do one section of the garden. That section is my first planting of those vegetables. Next month I'll start another section and can prep one from the summer stuff. I haven't seen a carousel in a long time. When I lived in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago it was nice to head out to Lake Michigan about once a month during the nicer weather. So much to do in the downtown area.

Led - I usually start the fall planting with some transplants. This time I didn't have time to start my own from seed. So just bought some. But I have some started now for later planting. That graph makes it look like you were jumping off a cliff and then climbing it again. 

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

dhuffman63

Trails

Well the first meeting with the Transplant Center went well I think.  Lots of information, 21 vials of blood taken, CT scan and x ray done.  I have an echocardiogram and stress test yet to do.  My brother is being evaluated to see if he can donate.  He's lost 65 lbs (has been overweight for a long time) and dropped his A1C.  I think after the last two test I can get on the waiting list for a deceased donor if my brother doesn't make it.  I may know something before year end, then if I have to wait it could take up to 2 to 3 years but I have a common blood type.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well the first meeting with the Transplant Center went well I think.  Lots of information, 21 vials of blood taken, CT scan and x ray done.  I have an echocardiogram and stress test yet to do.  My brother is being evaluated to see if he can donate.  He's lost 65 lbs (has been overweight for a long time) and dropped his A1C.  I think after the last two test I can get on the waiting list for a deceased donor if my brother doesn't make it.  I may know something before year end, then if I have to wait it could take up to 2 to 3 years but I have a common blood type.

Wow, it's quite a process - of course, when you think about it.  It would be best if your brother qualifies, I imagine.  Good luck, whichever way it goes.

Art - You also talked about transplants, but Di's trumps yours, period.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - On your elevation chart for the race: Looks almost symmetrical like an out and back, but slightly different. My guess is the loop took you back over the same ridges on a parallel path. The 65 foot climb at the last quarter of mile is steep. but what makes the course tough is most of it is steep inclines and declines. Looks like over 230 feet of climbing altogether, enough small hills eventually take a toll. Now it is said hill work is training for speed, I'd say the reverse is true also, so I think you might do better than me (but not AZ) in charging up those hills! Usually I take a steep hill slower than I can walk! Well, if I had a support team a coast to coast run might be tempting!

Art - It's still good when you squeeze in those 4 milers before work! So no Carousels in the Mesa area? I did find a whole lot of carousel music CDs available, may order one soon!

Di - 21 vials taken! Were you weak from loss of blood? Things are going good for your transplant right now, it would be great if your brother can donate!

Went today and got the new Covid vaccine plus a flu shot. My arm feels like when I was back in High School and guys would take turns hitting each others shoulder as hard as they could, yes, young males are dumb enough that hitting your friend counts as entertainment!

Lots of rain Sunday, was indoors most of the day, but got in a little yardwork. Monday started sunny and I figured I'd continue with my woods cleanup and do the run late afternoon, but did not figure on the thunderstorm that came in. So that made 3 days in a row no runs.

Nice out today, mostly cloudy and cool around 70 degrees with some breezes. After my vaccine shots I got ready. First I made a large glass of kale and apple juice with my juicer using kale from the garden. Then I drove to a route that took me over some roads I have not run before, some of them dirt or gravel roads. Adding to my heatmap! Speaking of hills, mile 4 was a 275 foot climb! Took it slow and rested a couple of times. Total distance 6.82 miles and legs are sore! Made a fruit smoothie protein drink after the run.
                              Near the start of my run a nice distance view of some hills

Here is one of the dirt roads, "Bennett Hill" a bit of a climb on this also.

Saw a tree with an interesting shape

A cluster of yellow and purple wildflowers with distant hills

Now this gravel and dirt road is the one with the 275 foot hill! Interesting composition divided into 4 "pie slices" with the brown road, the green field and green trees and the cloudy sky.

The sky had some real dark clouds, but I had looked at several online weather forecasts and they said clouds but no rain! Lucky, it stayed dry!

Near the end of my run these beautiful and friendly horses! They looked happy to see me, although the one on the left shied away when the camera flash went off!

dhuffman63

Trails

Yes, the best option is if my brother can donate or I can find another person willing to donate but I'll not turn down a deceased kidney if offered firse.