50 and over 5k and beyond

April 2017 runs and workouts (Read 10 times)

Art in AZ

Another 3 mile run this morning. Just wasn't feeling it and the body was telling me I had to go. So I headed home.

Rich - The garden and weather can be so fickle sometimes.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Boston Race Report:

Unlike last year we decided to fly directly to Boston, so caught a red-eye Saturday night. Arrived in Boston at 7AM and it was already warm...After getting breakfast at the airport, we took the MTA to our hotel near Boston Commons and dropped off our bags (check-in wasn't 'til 3PM). We then headed to the expo to get our numbers and check out the vendors. After a few hours we walked around Boylston and took some pictures near the finish line. Finally we headed back to the hotel and got our room. We took a too short nap and then headed over to the "free" dinner. Couldn't believe how long the line was (all the way around the block), but fortunately, they've done this before and everything moved fairly quickly and smoothly. It was then back to the hotel, where I pretty quickly setup my gear for Monday, set alarm on my phone and promptly passed out.

Monday morning got ready, then did a quick turn outside to see how much clothing would be needed before the race. It was much warmer then earlier predictions and visions of last years debacle played out in my head. Skipped any extra clothes and headed over to the bus loading zone. We made it out in the first group of the wave 4 buses. Got to the athletes village about an hour later 9:50, got some food and gatorade and by the time I exited the port-a-potty wave 3 (my wave) was exiting to the start.

I had a pace band set for 3:35:00 and my plan was stick to the pace for the first half and then see how I felt and make adjustments. It felt really warm with no shade in the starting corral and I was relieved when they finally let us go. First mile was a bit slow, but I was pretty close. Second mile I was pretty much on target. I didn't give out high fives like last year (high fiving kids and spectators for first 2 miles), but started high fiving the volunteers protecting runners from obstacles in the middle of the road. Hit 5K right on schedule, hit 10K right on the dime and 15K just a second or two under. We hit Wellesley College right around 20K, I was surprised 'cuz they didn't seem nearly as loud this year. Hit the 1/2 way spot just a couple seconds slow. I was thinking perfect! It was warm and part of early strategy was to hit every water station, take a sip and dump the rest over my head. It seemed to be working, but I kind of felt that my legs didn't quite have the spring that I wanted and so decided to slow down a bit. As I hit the 25K point I was about a minute slow, but still felt ok. Then mile 17 happened, nothing terrible, but started to feel a little twinge in my hamstrings. Did some quick calculations and figured if I could maintain the pace of 9:30 minute miles I would still be under 3:50. Mile 18, 19 were right there. Mile 20 was just under 10 minutes and I was feeling a bit distressed, but if I could keep the miles at 10 minutes, well it would still be about 3:50 - 3:55. Mile 21 has Heartbreak in it, wasn't worried about the time, just make it up the hill. Decided to ignore the watch for a bit. Made it up the hill, but my hammies weren't good, so just get to mile 22 - it's all downhill after that...Ok, made it now get to mile 23...Just before mile 23 the hamstrings just couldn't seem to quiet down and I started walking. I was kind of doing a power walk and around halfway through the mile got a quarter mile jog in. Then more cramping as I crossed mile 24. It was about this point that I so badly wanted to quit, people were cramping worse then I was, couple of runners fell, one guy was being whisked off in a wheel chair back to a med tent. But, DW and I are in "Boston to Big Sur" challenge and you have to finish Boston to stay in...Two miles to go and 4 hours is just not in the cards. Mile 25 is a complete walk, every time I start to jog the hamstrings just lock up and then my right calf starts. Just a mile to go, the crowd is screaming and I feel just so bad, like I'm letting everyone down. The mile before I started walking I began to high five all the policeman and national guardsman, if I can't run at least I can thank them for being there...Mile 26 just crawls by and I have to stop several times to try and stretch out the hamstrings. A barefoot runner goes by, he looks to be moving well. We make the right on to Hereford, and all I can think is I have to find a way to run in and I think maybe if I pick up my knees...So, as we make the left on to Boylston I do just that and what do you know it's working! As I'm making my way I'm worried that the hamstrings are going to go any second, so I really concentrated on form and praying the finish line would come sooner. And then, finally it's there. I'm just really, really glad to be done! I want to stop, but I know if I do someone will try to take me to the med tent and I want to be close by when DW finishes. It is a long walk to the bag check and I want to get some "soft" shoes on! Grab water, finishers medal, food, gatorade, more water and finally my gear. Check my phone and DW is past the 35K mark, but appears to be moving reasonbly. Get some clothes on, it has finally clouded over a bit and it is starting to cool down. DW hits 40K mark and is doing well. Her 5Ks are getting just a tad slower, but she'll be done soon. I finish dressing, grab some more water and get notice she's done. I text her my location and of course, she calls me to ask where I am I tell her. I'm standing next to a bunch of the volunteers who's job is to push people in wheel chairs to the med tent and every so often a runner will come up and ask "is it ok if I just sit down for a sec?" At which the volunteer says, "you can sit down, but if you do, I have to take you to the med tent..." DW finally shows up and we ask a volunteer to take a pic to get numbers and medals in the shot. We're all done, and so, we head off to our hotel...

2017 Boston Marathon Finish

Ray

Chantilly75

rmcj001 Congratulations to you and your wife on your Boston race! Sorry it didn't turn out for you the way you planned.  You seem to have done everything right leading up to it.  Was it the weather? Nice photo of you and your wife. Hope Big Sur goes better for you, maybe you need some elevation changes for the hamstring and Boston is a bit flatter than what you are used to.

Art in AZ Nice steady workouts for you, but you sound kinda disappointed in how they are going.  Maybe your mojo just needs a little boost. Good bagel ride. The new path sounds nice, maybe a bit of  a problem crossing traffic. I wonder why the path didn't go under the freeway instead of having pedestrians cross it? (flash floods?)

NH Runner Good thing you didn't hurt yourself with the spill.  Your mountain bike has wide tires? Hope the fitness returns and the heel feels better. It will be nicer without the ice, but tough going thru the mud. It was nice to see Galen Rupp and Jordan Hasay do well. I read about Kathrine Switzer's race number being retired. Even in the 70's we thought that anyone who ran a whole marathon was nuts, certainly not something girls did.

altair5 Some nice wet runs for you, watching the buds starting to come out on the trees.

az2mntrail Good luck in your race on Saturday!

No runs for me, wrenched my knee Apr. 2 (yard work/spring cleaning) and have a bursitis of the inner left knee. Wrapped in a tensor and resting it the past week.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Good job Ray on persevering through the marathon despite the hamstring cramp! At least you did not have to walk across the finish line. You say that you saw other runners with cramping problems and reading the Boston Marathon forum I see that quite a number of runners needed medical treatment. I guess it was the weather with the variable temperatures and winds. I did a marathon in 90 degree temperature one time and ended up walking most of the second half. I also wonder if your running a race so near in time to the marathon  created a weakness in the hamstrings. As we get older more recuperation is needed after each hard run. Anyway, sometimes we do great and then there are times we are a bit off our best form, and we cannot always predict ahead of time what it is to be. At least you finished and I'm sure your overall time would be considered respectable by most runners, even if disappointing to you. I tried to watch the race on TV, I got up early and did my 7 mile run before 10 AM, but found that I did not get NBC sports channel. I know it was also streaming on the internet, but being tech challenged I could not figure it out. The radio talked about some local runners, one young fellow from Mount Morris who was doing like 5 1/2 minute miles and a guy about my age, David Coyne, who was completing his 46th running of the Boston Marathon!  Great that DW ran it also and a nice picture of the both of you after the finish.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Thursday, 4/20... yesterday was an easy 2 mile walk, basically a day off.    Today I decided to try a run, then suffered through 3 miles of walk / jogging on the railtrail before calling it quits.   Heel became stiff and sore, so rode the mtn bike 7 miles later in the day in an effort to loosen it up a bit.    It seems to have worked, but the plan is to call my primary care if I can't work in a couple of runs a week between cross training sessions.    I'm trying to hold off 'til my scheduled appt. in July, but am done messing around, I either keep moving or I'm off to the doc...

Art... another one of those runs, eh? lol  I guess we just have to expect they're going to happen, eh?    Bought all my seeds for the garden today,  just waiting for consistent night time temps above freezing now, another 2 weeks away...

Ray... one of the local doctors volunteered to assist in one of the med tents at Boston and was talking about runners coming in with core temps of 105 degrees on Monday.   If you read my previous post, you know Desi Linden started pouring water over her head at 5 miles, and the elite women went off at 9:30, well before you started.   So, it was hot!   I suppose dealing with the heat meant you used up Glycogen stores too soon and just ran out of fuel.    I've been there, when your legs cramp so bad there's no way you can run and it's amazing how bad it can get when the wheels come off, isn't it? lol   I certainly wouldn't worry about disappointing anyone, marathons are a fickle beast and running one in the heat?   Forget it, you and DW did great!    Enjoyed the picture also, your smiles say it all....

Chantilly... no, my bike has standard tires.   I was trying to avoid the ice, but bikes don't always go where you want them to...lol   I didn't get hurt, I was actually going pretty slow when I fell.   Fitness is improving slightly, but I've got a ways to go.   Nothing compares to running for building fitness and I miss it like crazy.   The trike's ok, but bike riding doesn't work the same muscles.   That's neat the way they retired Katherine Switzer's number, eh?   I like Rupp and Hasay, they both have the kind of running form that makes you think they could win one of these things at some point.     What a shame about your knee, good luck with it...

Art in AZ

Wednesday was a rest day. Just a little exercise again to loosen up.

Another 3 mile run this morning before a 8:00 web seminar. Looking forward to a longer run this weekend.

I was checking races in the future and saw this. This could be an interesting race to run. Just being in Monument Valley would be awesome. http://www.navajoyes.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/mv17infosheet.pdf Now to see if any of the others are up for a road trip at that time.

Ray - Congrats to you and your wife for finishing Boston. Sounds like the weather was a factor again this time. Any idea on why the legs started acting up halfway through other than form? Just wondering as you didn't mention having any issues while training.

Chantilly - Sorry to hear your knee is acting up. Does this change your racing plans any? I remember something coming up in a few months. Yes, my mojo could use a little boost. Some days its there, others it seems to be taking the day off. If I understand the question on the new path I followed the canal to the West instead of the East as usual. That 6 lanes of traffic is just a major road in the area. Farther East where I cross it usually it is only 4 lanes wide. Now I'm good for a couple of weeks with bagels. But looking to do that ride again.

Altair - Running in the heat really affects us and our time. And we get to practice in it some more now.

Rich - That heel injury is sure persistent and stubborn. Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be something serious.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 4/21... damp raw day today, 43 degrees and a light rain.   Rode the tryke 6 miles on the railtrail, trying to keep the momentum going to regain some of the fitness lost over the winter.

Art... the races in Monument Value look like a lot of fun and in beautiful country, wow!   I've pretty much given up on the heel as something I can either run through or fix on my own, it's just a question of when I seek professional help...

Art in AZ

5 mile run this morning. Slight breeze made it feel a little cool until you got into the sun. Then I felt the heat pretty quick. It made for an interesting run going from shade to sun throughout the run. The sun is starting to show some strength.

Rich - It has been several years since I was in Monument Valley. The country up there is gorgeous. It would be a nice long weekend if we go.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 4/22... 9 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail today.  Pushed the pace a bit and ended up with a good workout.   I'm gaining...

Art... a better run yesterday, eh?    Yeah, Monument Valley would be a great place to spend a weekend with family.   Running a race would be the frosting on the cake.

Art in AZ

Saturday morning just picked a route and did 7.5 miles. Run felt good as I picked a steady pace and listened to the music during the run.

Sunday morning got a little late start and got out a little before 9:00. First 9 miles were fine but started to feel a little tired and the temp was in the lower 80s. One of the houses had the sprinklers going so I filled the water bottle and had a drink before continuing. Stopped at the water fountain at the rest area by the park and had another drink and tried to do some full body dips on the parallel bars. Only managed 3 of them. Finished running the last 1/2 mile home for a total of 11 miles. Weather was sunny and dry out. Need to look for a bigger water bottle until I get acclimated to the temps going up.

Rich - A bike ride is good. I like that you can maintain a good steady pace, slow down to rest or speed up to suit whatever mood I feel like. Plus the legs take less pounding.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 4/23... sunshine and temps in the mid 60's today, lots of people taking advantage of the nicer weather by spending time on the railtrail, myself included.    10 mile tryke ride that made me a little tired and sore, but in a good way.   Last group of people I saw were teenagers walking the trail, 2 girls and a guy.   As I approach, he says, "That is the coolest thing I've ever seen" meaning Isabelle...lol  I figured he was right, so didn't bother arguing with him...

Chantilly75

NH Runner Nice bike ride and tryke ride. That's fun for you to hear that other people like your tryke. Hope you can get some relief for the heel problem.

Art in AZ That was a good workout day for you.  Must be getting hotter if you need the drinks. The race in Monument Valley looks very nice. Did you find a bagel recipe? I still plan to go to the June race and hobble along best as can.

Yesterday, I ran 1 km outside and walked 1 km. Then did 1.5 hrs. raking, trimming bushes, etc.

This morning, woke up to 2" heavy wet snow, so ran for 10 minutes on the track and walked there for 1 hr. 10 minutes, then came home and shovelled snow. All my roses and trees are in bud, so hope they don't get damaged.

Inner left knee still has a sharp pain, but no swelling now.

Baking chocolate pecan cookies.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 4/24... 2 mile walk followed by a 10 mile mtn bike ride.

Chantilly... yeah, I get a kick out of people's reaction to Isabelle, some don't give it a second look and others think it's great.   I'm really thankful to have it and the bike to ride, they keep me sane while I'm sidelined from running.   That's crazy dealing with snow this late into the year, hopefully your budded plants survived the cold.    And good luck with that knee!

Art in AZ

3 mile run around the neighborhood. Also getting a little yard work in during the day trying to keep things neat and controlled.

Rich - Nice couple of rides. Having extra modes of training is a good thing.

Chantilly - Hopefully you feel better now. I spent some time looking for different halfs in different places and Monument Valley was one of them. Another was the Bryce Canyon Half July 8th. That would be another beautiful area to be in. I have passed the area a couple of times but have never been in the park. I some pictures that were posted of the night sky there. Incredible. I haven't seen night skies like that in far too long.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 4/26... took yesterday off due to rain, rode the mtn bike 8 on the railtrail after the rain let up this afternoon.   Finally gave up on my treadmill.   My buddy who's in the maple syrup, blacksmithing and horse farming business gave me permission to put it in his scrap metal recycle pile, but the thing weighs 265 pounds according to the paperwork.   There's no way I can load it in a truck by myself and deliver it, but his shop is just a few hundred yards from my place, so I hatched a plan to use my walk behind tractor to do the job.   It wasn't easy, but I got one end up in the air suspended off the back of the tractor, dragged it down the road and dropped it off...lol  My neighbors must love me...lol

Art... a 3 mile run would be pretty awesome to me right now...lol   I planted snap peas, beets and carrots the other day, plus I had a perennial plant (can't remember the name) that had really nice flowers last year that I brought inside over the winter.    Everything went pretty well, but it was starting to sag, so I put it back in the ground the other day.   Got up the next morning to a frost... lol   It's laid over like a limp rag now, but maybe the frost didn't get to the roots.   I like it because the hummingbirds liked it...