50 and over 5k and beyond

Oct '22 A little speedwork scarecrow? (Read 10 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Led - Glad you remained safe from the winds and fires. Raking leaves seems an unending task in fall. I guess in a race that size some elite runners would be attracted. I looked up the half marathon record for your age group: Joe Cordero (65) 1:32:43 in 2003, that's a 7 minutes 4.35 seconds per mile pace! The running form for sprints is different than for distance, although top runners do the marathon at a sprinter's pace. I am still confused about how Garmin obtains data points, I guess I'll look it up online sometime. I could use government assistance in some needed repairs to my home! I would like to do an Ironman, but not sure how far I can swim.

Tuesday, again nice and sunny getting up to 72 degrees. More work cleaning up leaves outside, then did an 8.45 mile run, including exercises in park. My legs were sore and I soon tired, so took many rest stops, but ran the whole distance. I have to work back to doing the longer runs.
    A few thin clouds near the North horizon

Now looking East

I know I take a lot of pictures of route 390 from the overpasses, but it does provide a distance view and a lot of shades of fall colors.

Today I did a shorter run, give my legs a little recovery! Weather was mostly overcast, breezy with rain impending. It was 67 degrees at 1 pm when I did 3.91 miles. A bit of drizzle after I finished the run. The week of unseasonably warm weather is ending, and it will be cooler tomorrow. Not unusual to get a light snowfall by the end of October but have enjoyed the summer type warmth!
    The sky was filled with clouds

Some were dark and ominous

Just outside the village an old barn

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Yesterday I did another follow up visit with the oral surgeon. She said the areas where I had the extractions are healing nicely. She did remove a tiny bone fragment from my upper right gum. I did some leaf raking and went on a short 1 1/4 mile walk to the park with GF. Temperatures dropped through the night and this morning my thermometer read 28 degrees early this morning and for the first time this season I saw frost on the ground! It warmed up by the afternoon and I mowed over some leaves in the front yard. By the way, I received a corrected form and faxed it to the tax dept. as proof I never collected unemployment last year, so that worry is over with!

At 3:20 pm I went for my run! It was overcast with just a faint sun showing through the clouds. It had warmed to the mid-fifties. I drove to run on a road I never ran on before, rather busy with traffic, but a wide shoulder. I did 4.22 miles.
      Google maps says this rocky creek is Taunton Gully

Mostly residential along this route, but did pass this orange field where I could see a hill in the background

Another open area with some fall trees. Many trees have now lost their leaves, but the maple trees in my front yard have just started.

I like the big painted advertising signs on the sides of some of the barns

Hello everyone 

Been awhile… weather has been nice for some consistent runs. It’s getting chilly as days go by, and so my runs are getting earlier in the afternoon. 32.5 total miles last week. Hiking on rest days keep the bones/muscles loose so no soreness. Right knee has its aches but that’s to be expected. The chilly temps don’t help. It subsides eventually. 
        Sat (yesterday): 12.1 solo miles on trail, hilly areas actually felt good; knee didn’t like the flatter areas. 

Leaving for Albq on Thursday. Meeting youngest sister, SIL, and cousin for a ‘sisters weekend’. I kept suggesting another camp/hike weekend but apparently each have very busy schedule to camp  ….... but can hike. Better one than none, right?  The hike is on Saturday, Nov 5. Couple of choices but looks like it’s Cedro Peak, Tijeras NM which is about an hour SW of Albq from cousin’s place where we are staying. I ran the Cedro Peak trail race a few years ago. I’m thinking of running it again  next year. Love the trails, and the race shirt, and the winter wool beanie (my fav). 
        So …. cold front expected this week bringing snow on Thursday. Hope to get another 12 miler in this week. Then taper next week. Pass Mt 25k is Nov 12. 

Altair: glad the extractions are healing well. Dry sockets are most common with molar extractions but it sounds like your good hygiene habits kept any problems at bay. Good runs when you can. Can’t believe it’s still been warm enough to run shirtless. And photos along the routes are always interesting especially with the season changing.

Art: wow, bike rides sound nice in the ‘cooler’ temps. And, still getting some nice distance on your runs between work calls. That’s keeping you super busy. Sorry about the stupid weather that damaged the garden. The windy days up here in the north country can be horrendous. Anything not nailed down is on its way to NM, UT, and/or CO  Car problems are frustrating. Maybe its the bulbs? Even new ones can be defective. Still need to get my car checked even though the ‘downshifting’ problem seems to have gone away.  Don’t want to risk it on Albq trip.

Led: CONGRATS on your recent HM  Great finish. I took it as an ‘easy and have fun’ race …… because your HM times are usually under 2hrs. No cheering group this time? That’s ALOT of runners. You did good!! There are races that one runs just to maintain a good foundation. But it’s also your last race for the year, excellent ending except for the cramping. Ouch. Hate those. Now it’s all pies and desserts  

Di: hope you are doing well. Anticipating trip to visit family is probably exciting for you. 

Hi Runwrath! How are you?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Az - Nice to have good weather and be able to run consistently. My run mileage this week was also about 32.5 miles, but I haven't done hikes or any run over 8 1/2 miles in a while. I guess my yardwork counts for something! Have a good hike with relatives next week in Albq! It is a rough seasonal transition when the snow finally comes. I've had a number of tooth extractions, but never suffered dry socket. Think it helps I am not a smoker!

Garden is still producing, but the big freeze is coming soon! Harvested and ate snow peas and cucumbers that grew from volunteer plants. Will have to pick the remaining peppers soon.

Last week my shower hose cracked where it is joined to the shower pipe. Fortunately I keep old parts and fixed it and also bought a new shower head with a hose just in case. Perhaps I am superstitious, but problems that are very similar often seem to occur in groups, maybe something about astrology creates bad trends! So I was thinking what other plumbing problem might happen! So yesterday I'm out mowing over leaves and GF calls that the kitchen sink faucet handle broke off and water is shooting up all over the sink! So I turned off the main and got a new faucet to install. Difficult working in the cramped space under the sink, but got 'er done! The old handle was all corroded, must be made from cheap material and the water must have corrosive minerals in it, although it tastes fine! Planned on doing a run, but it got late and so I just continued with leaf cleanup.

Got out at 2 pm for a run today. The morning temperatures have been around freezing the past few days, but it warms up quickly with the bright sun and at 68 degrees I decided to leave my shirt in the car. So far I've been running in shorts this season! Unfortunately when I checked for my pace after my start I realized I had not started the Garmin tracking! So I added an estimated .35 miles to give my total today as 7.59 miles.
                  A nice day, so drove to run on some different roads! Here is looking at a downhill curve.

And looking back at that hill with a red colored tree

On the same road some fall color

Green pine and a distant view

More red trees

Interesting textures of the grasses and trees

A solar energy farm. I've seen a couple of these appear in the last few years

I took some better pictures of these alpacas last year, but nice to see them again.

Art in AZ

Quick check in before it gets too late.

Nothing really new as I have been busy with work so have had a few rest days during the week because of early starts. When I did get out it was the usual canal route. Spent time in the garden today cleaning out the dead and dying stuff. Some plants did survive the earlier storm so I will see how they do. Prepped a different section and planted beets, onions, radishes, carrots and lettuce from seed. Hopefully will get another planting of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and kale later in the week.

Led - Congrats on your half finish.

Altair - Nice pics. It's always the little things that break in the house.

AZ - Nice runs.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I guess this is my last chance to post in this thread...unless I want to risk getting chided by Altair and Az! Big grin

I've been takin' it easy since the race, only running 2 or 3 miles each morning, including Saturday.  Sage and I did go to Wilderness Park Saturday and had a nice 2.6 mile trot through the back country.  Sunday I did 5.2, and today 4, so I'm trying to ramp up to a bit more mileage.  Had my annual checkup today and everything looks good, including blood work.

Altair - I think there may be some govt assistance for weatherizing your home (as well as for solar/wind/etc.), but it may be only a 10% tax credit. Hope your teeth are in good shape now for a long time to come.  Glad that crazy tax situation is taken care of as well.  Remarkable that your garden is still producing.  We had a hard freeze here - nothing more is gonna happen this year.  I'm not fond of plumbing, but will occasionally replace a faucet or toilet valve.  I think things corrode in time regardless of how good your water is.  You have city water, not a well, right?  Great fall pics, and I can't help but smile when alpacas are staring at me. Smile

Az - Hello back at ya! Smile  You're right, I like to think I can still do a sub-2 HM, but this wasn't to be one of them, mostly due to my poor training. It was evident to me pretty early in the race that 2:05 would be ambitious enough this time, so I'm happy enough this time.  You're pretty much in the thick of your tough training and race season. Sounds like you're doing great!  Good luck on everything, and enjoy the sis's hike!

Art - See you in November, as you continue to regale us with descriptions of your bountiful harvest!

Di & Wrath - Hope we continue hearing from you in November!