50 and over 5k and beyond

July 2017 runs and such (Read 10 times)

NH Runner

Saturday, 7/29... took yesterday off to finish the yardwork I'd started the day before, but had to stop to fix the mower.   I've been trying little changes in running form to see if I can find what I'm doing that causes so much stress to my right Achilles and heel.   Thinking it might be that I'm right side dominant, that side might doing more than 50% of the work when I run.    So... during Thursday's 5 miler, I started concentrating on pushing off with my left hip and felt a difference right away.   That run went well enough that I headed for the trail again this morning for another go at it and ran 6 miles.   Everything went pretty well, no real issues with my heel then and now, some 8 hours later.   It's letting me know I ran today, but no big deal...

az... 16.1 miles and the last was the fastest?   Gym workout yesterday and another 8.2 miles today?   Holy Moly!    You have to feel good about where you're at az, really impressive!

Art... nice workout for you too!

Chantilly75

NH Runner Nice running for you without a pain.  Good thing you know how to fix machines.

az2mntrail 2 good runs for you! You must be feeling great about that.  Are these official car shows or just casual ones?  I ask, because during the summer, I drive by an old parking lot some weekends, where maybe 10-15 antique cars are parked and people wandering around, looking at them.

Art in AZ I don't know how you do it in those hot temps.  Bleacher workout would be intense in the heat. Maybe you will have some PB's again in the cooler fall, if the running article info still holds true.

Yesterday morning I ran 3 miles and walked 45 minutes and did yard work. We are in a drought situation and I am not watering the grass anymore. Moved some landscaping rocks around to try to stop spring erosion along the sidewalk.

The high today is 98F, so I was not running.  However, I did water the flowers and pinch off spent blossoms, and walked for 40 minutes in the morning at 6 AM.  Awake at midnight to go outside and watch the big thunderstorm, sitting on the front porch. Lots of lightning and some much needed rain.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Sunday, 7/30... overnight low of 49 last night, so I waited for the sun to do it's work before heading out for a 10 mile ride on the tryke this morning.   Nice ride, with a headwind for about 3 miles that made for a decent workout.

Chantilly... speaking of fixing machines, the next generation tryke is almost done, I'm guessing within a week or so the last few things I'm waiting for the mailman to deliver will be here and I'll be taking it for a spin.    It's got 7 speeds total, here's hoping there's one slow enough that I can climb hills with it...lol  Thunderstorms are awesome, aren't they?   Especially at night and watching from a safe distance.    You're smart to take an early morning walk to get out ahead of the heat...

Chantilly75

NH Runner The next tryke is also going to be hand driven, only with gears? Good workout for you. 49F would be fairly cool in the am. We were down to 60F overnight, going back up to the 80's today.

Thunderstorm again last night, but not as much rain.

Ran 7 miles on the track at 5:30 am and walked 40 minutes. Quite stuffy in there even with all the fans, because the track is  essentially covered by an aluminum can. But a lot of people there, choosing to exercise in the stuffy place, rather than under the hot sun.

(The prairie sun is very intense in the summer at high temperatures)

1 hour yard work, pulling weeds and putting down some more landscape rocks. Bought a clump of reddish oriental lilies on sale and planted that in the back yard. Dug out the globe flower, which is very ugly after blooming and threw it out.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Saturday morning got in 6 miles along the canal. Saw a bunch of fence block that has been laying there for over a year. So I moved it to the side of the path to get after the run.After cooling off and getting dry went and got the block. I was planning on adding a riser to the irrigation system to cover a area that could use one. Figured I could use the block to raise it a little higher so it gets some sun in the winter. The area sits too close to the South fence so I don't plant anything there. In order to get to the buried pipe I had to dig out the dirt. Formed 2 small footers to block off a section and filled it with concrete. Cut out a small piece of PVC pipe and put in a tee with a 2 foot piece of pipe and the fitting sticking up. Later in the day I put in 2 blocks to close it off.

Sunday thought of going for a run or a bike ride but couldn't make up my mind while I was getting my things ready. I look at the clock and it's past 9:00 already so I decide too late for either and head for the yard. Got the sides and most of the back part done. For some reason none of the stores carry the half block anymore. So I have to go get some regular block and I'll cut it to fit because the ends are on an angle. Did a little more yard work and then worked on a couple of projects for doing car stuff.

5 miles this morning on the usual route. Dew point was in the upper 60s making the run feel challenging. Took a couple of walk breaks.

AZ - Good couple of runs for you. Admire your hubby that he would drive a couple of hours for a car show. Thankfully the car shows here are usually within about a half hour drive.

Rich - That's good you tried a different technique and it seems to really help. Nice couple of runs.

Chantilly - Couple of runs and yard work. I wonder myself sometimes how I run in this weather. Some days are better then others. Getting out in the morning certainly helps. Watching thunderstorms with the accompanying lightning and thunder is fascinating. Especially since we don't see them here that much except during this time of the year. Plus the added benefit of the temps dropping a few degrees for a while.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ