50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2017 runs and workouts (Read 9 times)

Didn't make it to the gym yesterday.  Conf call lasted longer than expected.  Then calls/texts from family.  One of my aunt's daughter passed away suddenly, she was only 46.  Just heartbreaking.

Wed (today):  had conf calls again.  Finally went for a run outside, near fairgrounds/lake road.  Nice breeze, a reflective run.  Legs felt pretty strong.  Took one 30 sec walk break at 3 miles.  Finished 6.2 miles.

Art in AZ

Did 5 miles Tuesday morning before going out for work. Still hot here. Will be through the weekend. Was envious of AZ weather of 50s to 80s. 

Did the 8.4 mile run along the canal this morning.

See everyone is getting things done. Time to go have dinner.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Thursday, 8/31... 7 mile run this morning, 1 mile warm-up on the trail, 6 mile road run thru the local covered bridge with a decent hill in the 3rd mile.  Other than the hill, kept up a consistent pace the whole way.   Thanks for the suggestion to run hills az, I've been intentionally avoiding 'em 'til further into training, but they're part of the landscape here and do add to strengthening the legs.   Really happy with today's run...

az... sorry to hear about your aunt's daughter, 46 is way too young.   And congrats. on the 6.2 miler.   I'm not training for any particular race, but am watching the calendar to keep an eye on what's coming.    5k Sept.16th, half marathon Sept. 27 and a 5K Oct. 8th are possibilities.

Art... couple of nice runs there, congrats...

az2mntrail are the blisters from worn out shoes or the path? Hope your feet heal up quickly.

Chantilly:  I think  it was a combination of the humidity, and wrong socks (didn't have my usual second pair in my bag so didn't have any choice).  The forefoot blister got worse and larger in area over the miles, the side of the big toe seem to be aligned w/ the sock seam.  Tried moving it around .......doesn't work, LOL!! Shoes were fine.  But I had to run on paved bike trail towards the end, and the blisters .......and joints.........were hating it.  But I've had worse, at least I didn't/haven't lost any toenails lately, ouch!!  

NH:  sounds like you are being cautiously smart on adding on miles.  You have plenty of time to train for the upcoming races you've listed.  Alternating between recovery & training days will keep you healthy.  I usually train on 'normalizing' a certain distance in which body feels smooth/comfortable w/ pace before adding another mile or two.  So I'm maintaining endurance now, speed will come as I incorporate more consistent (and necessary) strides to improve running economy........ not my favorite. Glad the hill run went good. Even short decent hills add alot to running strength. You'll notice the difference gradually.  I will probably stay between 14-16 miles for my long runs till I get back to AZ.

Art:  yeah, the weather can't make up its mind but the changes provide some aspect of looking forward to tomorrow.  It would be even better if the 50s temp coincide w/ my long runs, HA!! What shoes do you wear when you run along the canal?  Nice run there!!

Rest day.  Planning on long run tomorrow.  DH is leaving today, hauling the 2 harley bikes to AZ.  He should return in a week.

Art in AZ

Another 5 miles around the neighborhood. Took a couple of walk breaks because body said it needed a rest. Didn't help that the water fountain wasn't working again.

Rich - Nice run. The slight hills help when you add the steeper hills to a run. My 8.4 canal run includes 2 overpasses so I get a slight hill twice on that run. Sometimes I feel like I speed up going up. It's the closet I have to hills here.

AZ - I rotate through 4 different shoes. Whichever shoe is up for the day gets the job. So every shoe gets a chance at a route eventually. I have a Saucony Guide 8, Brooks Ravenna 7, Adreniline 16 and a Adreniline 17 that I rotate through. I have a Brooks Adreniline Kaleidoscope 15 that I wear when I ride the bike.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ