50 and over 5k and beyond

October runs - from horseflies to goosebumps (Read 12 times)

NH Runner

Saturday, 10/27... a Nor' Easter that started as rain / snow, then all rain visited us for the entire day today.   No workout...

Sunday, 10/28... 5 mile trail run this morning.   Wore shoes with more heel lift, testy Achilles stayed quiet the entire run.

Altair5... sounds like you had a great time visiting family in North Carolina, good for you!    What a treat to run with your sister and shop with your brother in used book stores and thrift shops.   Looking forward to seeing the pictures, especially of your grandfather in his running clothes.

Art in AZ

It's been a few days. Where did the days go?

Got in a few days running and on the days I didn't run still got my exercise in by spending Saturday at daughter's new house and Sunday doing a bunch of stuff around the house and yard that I haven't had time to do. I miss those couple of extra hours we have during summer.

Rich - Just what you need right? A sore foot after all the work you've put in getting back to racing shape. Hopefully it will go away soon and not be a bother.

Altair - Nice you got a couple of runs in with your sister. I find it interesting when I go some place new and explore and discover all kinds of things. Just like a treasure hunt sometimes.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I posted the photos of my Grandpa in a new forum so everyone would get to see them, but will post them here as well.

Arthur Ziegler

And here is the Pastime Athletic Club, prominent in the early Boston Marathons. We think Grandpa is the young man in the middle with the black shirt. The Maltese cross on the shirt is the symbol of the club,

Pastime

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 10/30... yesterday was another all day rain event, so no workout.   Today dawned clear with a little chill in the air, 38 degrees.   I'm trying to see how well I tolerate the cold wearing just shorts and heavier tech shirt and still did ok, so I still haven't had to resort to wearing pants yet.   Anyway, a 6 mile trail run today wearing shoes with more heel lift to lighten the load on my Achilles again.   It helps, but my Achilles still complained a little.

Art... it's mazing how much daylight we lose this late into the year, eh?   Sounds like you're keeping busy and even managed a few runs, so it's all good, eh?   With all the rain we're getting here, I'm behind on the work I need to get done outside as well.   The testy Achilles doesn't seem to be a threat to shut me down unless I ignore it.   I'm tossed now about running the 5K I'd planned to run this Saturday, but with more rain coming in Thursday and Friday, I'll probably rest those 2 days and lace 'em up on Saturday.

Altair5... that's a great picture of your grandpa!   In looking at the group picture, the runner that's 3rd from the left looks more like your grandpa than the runner beside him.  The cheek bones, square face and chin as well as muscular legs make  me think he's your grandpa.   The guy in the black shirt has a more pear shaped face, pointy chin and less muscle in his legs.   Just compare their calf muscles and you'll see what I mean.

I'm curious also what new forum you're referring to, is it another forum here, or somewhere else?   This place is getting really slow these days...

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I  started a new topic under General Running here, got some comments about the materials used then for running apparel. It is very hard to identify people from photos sometimes, variations of lighting, angles of view and other factors can make people look completely different. I too considered the 3rd person from the left as possibly my grandpa, however the one in the middle looks somewhat like me at a young age. Grandpa was like 16 when he first ran the Boston in 1902 and perhaps this group photo was taken even earlier and the one by himself may be several years later when he had matured. I don't know, I may have to compare to other family photos which my brother has. I will be doing more scans next visit.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

The usual 3.6 miles this morning and then a quick couple of things in the yard before I started the day.

Rich - Here's hoping things go well for your heel before your race.

Altair - Interesting pictures there looking back at history. It's hard trying to figure out who when there are no dates to go with the photos. Still it's great to have family pictures from way back.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ