50 and over 5k and beyond

May 2017 runs and workouts (Read 10 times)

Chantilly75

NHRunner I hope your garden is ok. I like flowering crabs. Good to have the bees. Does a mountain bike have a deeper tread?

Art in AZ nice workouts. Too bad about the disagreement re:transport. Car driving is more convenient than airports in my opinion. Sante Fe is nice. We were there once many years ago.

Yesterday I did a walk commute to work and home again. Total of 10 miles. I tried to run a bit but I can't do it well wearing a backpack. Today I rode my bicycle and walked a little.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 5/27...  took yesterday off due to an all day rain event, 10 miles on the roads today riding the tryke.   I swear every ride on the road has at least one encounter with a careless driver, today's was distracted by something he was reading spread out on his steering wheel.    Headed right for me...

Art... I don't mind getting caught in an average rainfall, but those downpours are a different story.   Rain the other day wasn't bad, it was either that or nothing, so I got a little wet...lol   5 milers are good...

Chantilly... my garden, other than the corn and sunflowers, is doing pretty good.   Everything's up and looking healthy.    Standing under my flowering crab earlier today, there was just a steady hum from all the bees.   I stepped back and looked and bees were everywhere, honey bees and bumble bees.    Cross training is good way to maintain right now, it's not running, but a heckuva lot better than nothing.    Hang in there!!

NH Runner

Sunday, 5/28... 7 mile run with walk breaks on the railtrail today.    Just beyond the 3 mile mark, I could see a couple of walkers up ahead, then 2 deer showed in the trail between the walkers and myself, intent on the walkers but unaware of me as they snuck across the trail...lol   My splits are getting a little quicker and walk breaks less frequent, so I'm gaining.   The only other critter on the trail that caught my attention was a deer fly, first one of the year that buzzed me for most of the last mile but never moved in for a bite...

Art in AZ

Friday got in a 4 mile run in before work.

Saturday 5 miles in the morning and then spent most of the day doing car stuff. Building a jig to hold a car door while I work on customizing the door handle. So lots of cutting, welding, grinding and then some primer. This is the test door to determine the new position of a different door handle. And I am fixing a kink in the hood of the car. So some more cutting out the bent part of the frame, straighten it out and getting the hood curve right. Then I made a new piece to replace the cut out section. Lots of trimming to get a good fit.

13 miles this morning. Ran/walked the last couple of miles as I felt tired and warm. Then more time in the garage doing car stuff. The jig for the door is finished and the hood needs to be put on the car to make sure the hood matches the body line before final welding the new section in.

Chantilly - Now that's an ambitious work commute. As long as the weather cooperates that a good way to get the exercise in.

Rich - Nice tryke ride and a good run/walk on the rail trail. You need to fix up the tryke a little. You know, like something from the Mad Max movies. I'm sure that would get people's attention.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner Fun to see the deer on the trail. A big bumble bee was on my weeping caragana yesterday. Nice 7 miler for you. Try the bounce dryer sheet for the deer flies later on. I don't think insects like them.

Art in AZ A couple of good runs for you.  I may have missed info about your car...are you customizing an older car?

yesterday I rode my bicycle 40 minutes, then did 1.5 hrs. yard work..mowing, pulling weeds, picking off a few straggler webworms.

Today I ran 2 miles on the track, which feels a bit better on the knee and walked for 30 minutes.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, Memorial day... I've decided I'd make a lousy weather forecaster, we've got rain forecast for today, so I checked the local radar before heading out on a bike ride and thought I had an hour before the rain started.    Umm hmm, 15 minutes after I left the house it was raining...lol    Anyway, 6 miles riding the mtn bike in the rain on the railtrail.   Met a couple of runners, another biker and a 4 wheeler, so I wasn't the only one trying to stay between the rain drops...lol

Art... from the sounds, you get into some serious projects doing 'car stuff'.    You should post pictures, I'd like seeing the 'stuff' you do.   Here's a project I know you'll get a kick out of.. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158403  Not car stuff, but pretty amazing.   Nice mileage the last few days!

Chantilly... you must have the best looking yard in your neighborhood, you really work hard at it.   I'm the same way, I like a well kept yard.    You're doing well maintaining, good luck with that knee!

Art in AZ

14 mile bike ride today. Didn't feel like resting or running so a bike ride it was. Just something before the day started.

Chantilly - I have a couple of Jensen-Healeys I'm working on. The 74 is the one with the kinked hood that's being fixed. Since the car does not have AC it's a little hot here to be driving around during the day. So I figured now would be a good time to work on this.

The other is a 74 also but that one is getting a little more customized. I tore it complete apart, media blasted to bare metal, primed and am slowly fitting the body panels back together, flaring the fenders a little, doing some body modifications. Things to make the car different some what. It will be a complete rebuild/restoration when I finish.

The other ongoing project is building the custom fiberglass dash, console and wheel well covering/rear speaker holder for my cars and others.

Rich - That's what, twice this week you got rained on?  That's some project with the 2 tractors. The trouble is I haven't taken any pictures. I have some when I think of it but usually I'm just involved enough to forget about pictures. I really should do better though. Especially with the door modification project. I need documentation for when I start on the other doors.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Hi everyone!!  D.C. was around 80 degrees, humid, sunny when we left. We returned late last night, about 11 pm, it's raining, some sleet, windy around 40 degrees!! Rained earlier this morning, still pretty breezy and cloudy, about 50 degrees, it's depressing! Anyway.......trip was fun as far as conferences go, they throw pretty good parties, LOL!!  It rained every morning and if it didn't, then it rained sometime during the day.We got there on Wed.  Took shuttle to the Gaylord National Harbor hotel.  Nice view of the area/Potamac and even the Washington Monument/Capital in the distance.  Reagan airport is really close and so the planes looked even closer!!  After unpacking, DH discovers he needs some stuff for his uniform from Bethesda store and since we had rest of afternoon free, we decided to head into D.C. to take care of it.  We met a friend who wanted to go to the Mall area to check out the Lincoln memorial so we called Uber.  After lunch, DH takes Metro to Bethesda while I and friend walked the Mall area and took photos.  Been here numerous times but did wanted to see MLK memorial which I missed on my last visit.

Thurs morning: POURING RAIN!! and if I waited, I would talk myself out of working out so to the hotel dreadmill I went.  NICE fitness room!!
                  Thurs:  15 min ellip, 10 min cycle, ran easy interval of 6.5 miles, 10 min ellip, 10 min cycle, 20 min weights. WHEW!!

Fri: rest day.  The conf social event for everyone registered/family included was held at the FedEx stadium. Got DH and a colleague/friend on the jumbotron!! They acted like they were sportscasters, too funny!!

Sat: Legs pretty sore from workout and being on feet from night before so took rest day.  But another couple of friends invited me to the Monument Tour of D.C. (one of conf. shuttle bus event) so another round of photo ops of the Mall, LOL!! And another day of walking.  Later in evening, it was meet and greet w/ alumni schools.  We only attended a couple of them.

Sunday:  another rainy morning so to hotel TM again.  10 min ellip, 10 min cycle, ran 6.1 slow easy miles, 10 min ellip, 10 min cycle, 30 min weights.  Later in evening, we attended the conference formal gala held at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History.  Great band, and we practiced all our ballroom dancing moves, HAHA!!

Monday:  rest day.  Walked downtown of National Harbor area, had lunch/drinks. Then to airport.

Yeah, it's very impressive if you go the first time but the crowds/traffic isn't our thing so we explore other areas not attracted by crowds. After staying at this place which is not close to the Mall/Museums, it's not economical to drive back and forth if you want to go sightseeing/visit the museums and monuments. We were okay w/ that but others found it frustrating to be 'so far' from the main attractions of D.C. especially if this was their first time/and if they brought their kids.  DH kept himself busy w/ the conference sessions and various meetings, plus he needed the CEs and I didn't   so I pretty much enjoyed visiting w/ others and being lucky to be invited along for sightseeing. Next year will be in Honolulu!!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 5/30... no workout today, due to another all day rain event.   Saw the Physical Therapist this morning about the ongoing saga of my sore heel.   I thought I was getting an ultrasound treatment, but the P.T. has decided what I really need is the Alfredson Protocol Exercises, meant to strengthen a weak, inflamed Achilles.   My attitude at this point, is what have I got to lose, so did my first session of exercises earlier with a second session planned before the day's over.    Plan is to do them twice a day 'til I re-visit the P.T. next week for re-evaluation.

Art... neat projects rebuilding those Jenson-Healeys, eh?   Pictures here of the finished projects would be enough, just to see what you're up to.   The garden tractor tandem was quite a project, wasn't it?   I figured you'd enjoy it.    And yeah, the rain sneaking up on me is getting to be a habit...lol   Nice ride!

Art:  you are on your way......hope the various suggested treatments get the result you want.  So much of it is by trial-and-error.  That's how I happened upon 'dry-needling' and I really believed it helped the most.  I think walk breaks are so under-rated and when you're recovering from injury, it's a life-saver for the injury area and forces you to take your time, to be patient. I'm so glad you are getting some running in. Those cross-training time from the cycling/tryke really benefited you.  Weather people should call you first to see if you're running, then they can say it will rain, LOL!!

Art:  It's always a nightmare when scheduling a trip w/ others .........hope you find one you all like. Driving is the fun part of a trip IMO. People are already 'on the go' in their daily lives ..........sometimes, we need to 'stop and smell the roses.'  You have to fly into Albq and rent car to drive to Santa Fe, about an hour drive. Or there is a train that goes back and forth too. Are you trying to schedule a run w/ this trip?

Chantilly!! glad you're back. sorry to hear that you're taking it easy but your garden/lawn is getting all the attention! DH really likes a manicured lawn and spends alot of time on it during summer. He says he'll miss his lawn and the 3 hrs it takes to mow it, HA!!

Dan:  any summer trips on the MC?

Ray:  hope all is going well.

Altair:  how is the training going? Miss those photos.

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning under high thin clouds. Still warm but a little nicer without the full sun coming down on you. Pretty quiet on the run with all the schools closed for the summer.

AZ - Nice description of your trip. It's always a joy finding a nice fitness room. And going to the same spot repeated times does get boring. Granted there are lots of things to see around D.C. but I still like to hit different places. Though Hawaii should be real fun next year. The trip planned for Santa Fe is around the Thunder Mountain Half. I just read the other day about the best races in each state and this was listed for New Mexico. So it looked like I picked a good one. I like driving and the opportunity of detours if you like.

Rich - What, you didn't want to run in the rain? I always wondered when some doctor said one thing and then changed their mind. Hopefully after some of these exercises you feel a difference. I'll have to try and get some pictures up so you can see some of the stuff I've done.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner Doing exercises instead of having surgery may be an answer, although perhaps not what you were expecting. Good for you to hang in there snd keep looking for answers.

I have wondered if a heating pad twice a day would help to relax your heels, especially before activity, since this is not an acute problem. I can't use ice because of autoimmune disease/arthritis and I like the warmth.

I have the biggest yard in the area, but my grass is not the best.  Maybe the flowers and bushes are, though.

Art in AZ I googled images of your car.  It is cute! Nice hobby for you to restore it. Some good biking and running there.

az2mntrail Good to hear that you had a scenic and safe trip. Big shock with the weather change. Hawaii would be great!

Have you run Duke City marathon? It is on Oct. 22 in Albuquerque.  I could drive down there in 2 days, maybe. I want to go somewhere!

The past 2 days spent 20 minutes each day walking up and down the street squishing these tent caterpillar/webworms before they get to my bushes and roses.  Still have to hand pick several of them off bushes and roses morning and night.  My city has an infestation, but not as bad as some years.

Yesterday I walked for an hour.

Today I ran 4 miles and walked 30 minutes on the track.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 5/31... thunderstorms were forecast for this afternoon and I was tempted to hide in the basement rather than take the tryke out for a spin, but riding the tryke won out, so I rode like the wind, finished early and survived for another day...    7 miles in decent conditions because of the recent rain.

az... read my lips, my name's not Art...lol   I know women get to name their children, but not their cyber buddies...   Enjoyed your DC report, all that fun hardly seems like work, eh? lol   Plus you managed to maintain on the T.M., nice....

Art... no, I'm sick of the rain, last year we were on water restrictions, this year, I'm thinking I'd better find plans for how to build an arc...lol   And yeah, all these different 'fixes' for what ails my heel are confusing, but I have to say, after 2 days of eccentric heel drops, I'm already noticing a big difference in my heel that's got me a 'little' fired up.   The P.T.'s a young guy with a full beard and long hair, but I think the kid knows what he's doing.   I'm planning a run tomorrow, so we'll see...

Chantilly... heat is another of the things I tried to fix my heel, and like everything else, it looked promising at first, but didn't pan out in the end.    Something to do with chronic inflammation in my Achilles causing chemical reactions and calcifications that form on bone and tendons, etc., etc.    More than I wanted to know...lol   You've seen pictures of the North Korean military marching, right?   That's the visual I got of you marching up and down the street squishing caterpillars...lol   You do understand you can't squish caterpillars and be against turkey hunting, right?      Your roses and bushes must appreciate the work you do...lol  Congrats. on the 4 miler!!

Art in AZ

Today turned into a rest day as I had a lot to do and didn't get out for a run. Thought about it though.

Chantilly - Sounds like there aren't enough birds in the area to deal with all the caterpillars. I can see the birds thinking 'So many choices and not enough time in the day" before they get full.

Rich - Your rain situation sounds similar to what Ray experienced. At least you got out and back before it rained.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Wednesday, 5/31... thunderstorms were forecast for this afternoon and I was tempted to hide in the basement rather than take the tryke out for a spin, but riding the tryke won out, so I rode like the wind, finished early and survived for another day...    7 miles in decent conditions because of the recent rain.

az... read my lips, my name's not Art...lol   I know women get to name their children, but not their cyber buddies...   Enjoyed your DC report, all that fun hardly seems like work, eh? lol   Plus you managed to maintain on the T.M., nice....

RICH, RICH, RICH:  bahaha!!  sorry, just noticed it too!!

Chantilly:  I ran the HM at the Duke City marathon a few years ago.  Was going to run the full marathon a year later but got strep throat!! so had to opt out   If you decided to run it, let me know.  Maybe I'll run the HM again...... b/c it's a road race, ugh, running the full will be too much for my feet on paved trail!! I am planning on running the trail marathon in Monument Valley in November.

Art:  I've heard of the Thunder Mountain Half race event. It's not too far from Santa Fe, and gorgeous scenery.  Hope you experience the race, I think it's up your alley being a road race.

After some serious procrastinating for half a day,   I headed out the door for my 10 miler.  Ran to nearby lake, about 2 miles from my house one way.  It's dirt road and shaded w/ lots of trees, quiet except for the critters and occasional deer crossing. About 40% humidity, sunny, breezy, around 70 degrees. NICE!! I ran back and forth on the road to lake, about 1.2 mile one way, until I reached 8 miles.  Took 30 second walk/stretch break after every 2 miles. Then headed back home. It was kinda tough the first 5 miles but I finally found a good pace. Finished 10.1 miles.  I might go for a short 4-5 miler tomorrow just to see how it would feel running two days in a row. Suppose to be another nice day!