50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

rmcj001

Chantilly - 8 miles, nicely done.  Are you referring to the "Holiday Challenge?"  Think that was Dan.  Just working on building base now and see if I can beat my previous best continuous streak of 25 days.  Currently at 21 days.

Jo - Nice start.  It probably doesn't mean much now, but listen to your body - it will let you know if you're too much or too little.

Fletch - Good to hear from you.  Good that you're feeling better.  Saturday is going to be fun!

adkkev - rest days and sleep are important.  Good luck with the renovations.  How did the run go last night?

Rich - You're a skiing machine!  Good to hear the achilles is holding up.

Az - It has to feel good to get out there and run.  Good to hear you're smiling!

3/10 so the youngins at work are going to do the "Ayala Cove Run" with me this year.  It is April 12th out at Angel Island in the middle of SF bay.  Has to be one of the prettiest runs ever, 360 degree view of the entire bay and lots of single track trails.  I'll be doing the 15 mile version (they also have 5 and 10 milers).  At least 1 is going to try the 15 miler with me, 2 others are going to try the 10 miler.  Should be fun.  Anyway, so they're starting to run with me on Mondays too.  Normally, I do a little extra and can easily catch up.  Not yesterday.  About 1/2 way into the run we split up so I could do some extra hills and I sorta slowed down to watch a low flying turkey vulture.  Didn't see her so sped up a little, still didn't see her about 1/2 mile later so turned around and went back a bit.  Realized she probably was further ahead then I thought and picked up the pace.  Didn't catch up, found her back at work.  Last two miles were 8:15 and 7:35 with a total of 5.1 miles in 45:18.  She finished 4.1 in about 41 minutes.  Pretty sure I saw a bald eagle - white headed raptor, but didn't look much bigger then a hawk - so, might have been something else...

Ray

Chantilly75

az2mntrail  nice outdoors run!

Fletch_NC  vegetable garden planting???  I'm SO jealous.

rmcj001 sorry, I meant the Strava data.

Sounds like a good run to challenge the young ones…and maybe an old fella, too….

Is Angel Island further out than Alcatraz?  We took one of those boat tours back in 2007 around the Bay.

7 miles. Shoveled some ice out of the garage floor, so it stops melting in there.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 3/11... 5 mile road run today, splits were 8:53, 8:32, 8:37, 8:41 and 8:57.  Last mile was like throwing out an anchor, my achilles tightened and I eased up, but no harm done.

Chantilly...I didn't realize Ryan Hall was running Boston.   It'd be awesome if he won, he's certainly capable.   And I see Shalane Flanagan is running, but Desi will handle her.   The real test will be Rita Jeptoo, the woman who won last year.   Anyway, we're in for a real treat on race day.

az... I was going nuts watching that 2011 race also, the Kenyans kept trying to drop Desi, but couldn't do it.    Congrats on your better weather and 4.5 mile run, every day the sun gets a little higher!

Fletch... Probably by the end of March the skiing will be over for the year.   Since January I've skied 139 miles and have had enough, bring on some heat and green grass!   Hey, a few striders at the end of your last run, eh?   And a few hill repeats not long ago.   You're learning pretty fast there Grasshopper.   How'd those striders feel, are you ready for the 5K?

Ray... the Ayala Cove Run sounds awesome, 15 miles is a stroll in the park for you these days.   You're always on the look-out for Raptors when you run and I'm watching for distracted drivers with cell phones in their ears...lol

Nana_

Hi everyone,

Resident -Beginner here.

Tuesday -- rest day. I only "run" every other day, never two in-a-row

Wednesday -- for me will be :20 minutes of Run 30 seconds / Walk 30 seconds Galloway-beginner.  It's not much on paper but my body screams a bit at me still.  You can say you knew me when....

Rich - great 7 miles...umm what is skate-skiing? Quiet is nice! Glad your achilles is still okay

Chantilly - Thanks for the affirmation of Galloway. Nice 7/8 milers. Wow everyone is so experience here! Snow? wow. stay warm

az2 - Glad your snow melted. Have fun in Zumba

Fletch, - nice couple-a-days a rest and a 3  I hope the critters don't get to your garden.

Ray - speedy run there, and nice wildlife scenery for you

Good night to everyone else.  See ya tomorrow

adkkev

Monday evening - 7 miles around town, lots of hills along the way (up and down!).

Tuesday evening - 5.55 miles around town, not so many hills but enough to feel it!

Looks like Wednesday & Thursday may be cross-training days with the snowblower - supposed to get anywhere from 10 to 16 inches of snow by Thursday morning.  Then Thursday is supposed to greet us with temps in the teens and wind gusts up to 45 mph.  Yeah, and it was 50+ degrees & sunny today.  Ahhhhhhhhhh ... March in the great northeast, eh?

Young Dallas Seavey won the Itidarod today ... his second win.  A dozen or so racers dropped out along the way, conditions were tough this year.  If there are reruns of the Ultimate Alaska Survival challenge on NatGeo, you'll see Dallas & his team win that endurance "race" as well.

Nice running everyone!!!

rmcj001

Chantilly - Nice 7 miles.  Strava - I try to stay off it and only enter my data every now and then.  Too easy to try and race when I should be training.  Like the cross training you threw in too!

Rich - Good to see those times dropping.  Don't go overboard tho!  Better to stay healthy.

Jo - Rest days are important, no shame in taking them when you need them.  Early on it's hard to know when you really need to take a break. Following a plan should keep you healthy and that's the fastest way to get better.

adkkev - Gotta be good to be running outside.  Sorry about the weather...

3/11, got to cut loose a bit on the run today, 7 miles in 55:54 - sunny, probably 72F and windy.  Big fire in SF was all they could talk about on the radio on way home.  Large unfinished apartment complex, was 8 stories high - now 2 and I think the rubble is holding up anything left.

Ray

Chantilly75

adkkev It would be exciting to watch part of the Iditarod.

If you're going back up north this summer, there is an indoor run called "6 Days in the Dome" in Anchorage Aug. 4-10. There are 24 hour, 48 hour and the 6 day distances available during the week.  See www.sixdaysinthedome.com  for information.

There are going to be several elite ultra marathoners there trying for various records.

Jo_  You are doing it right, with every other day running for a start.  When we are over 50, we can't increase running as fast as a younger person. So don't feel guilty for being sensible and avoiding injury from over-use.

rmcj001 Sounds like a nice run, weather-wise..guess you didn't see any of the fire.

NH Runner  Ryan Hall and Abdi Abdiraham were added to Boston after Dathan Ritzenhein and a couple other elites dropped out. I think Shalane can have a good race, will be good to watch her, also.

139 miles is quite a bit of skiing.

9 miles on the track. Nice to talk to my (69 yr. old) friend for a bit, she said she is still feeling pretty good on her runs.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Wednesday, 3/12... easy 2 mile recovery run on the treadmill.   A large winter storm moved in this morning and won't get out of here 'til sometime tomorrow.  Where I am in NH is right at the rain / snow line, so we're not get much accumulation yet, just a lot of rain and snow mix.   Tonight's total is predicted to be 4 to 8 with another 2 to 4 tomorrow.   I think adkkev's getting it even worse...

Jo... this is what Skate Skiing looks like... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HksXxzH55pw   It's a form of cross country skiing that looks like you're skating.   There was a LOT of this going on at the Olympics in Sochi, both men and women.    You're doing just fine, btw.   Keep in mind your body adapts to the stresses you throw at it.   Getting sore isn't a bad thing and taking a break gives your body the time it needs to recover from the workout.   It's how you progress, each time your body adapts, you get a little stronger.   And don't worry about being a beginner, we've all been there...

adkkev... keep your chin up with your weather.    All those treadmill miles paid off, eh?   You had a couple of really good runs outside!

Ray... nice run on the 11th!   7 miles @ sub 8:00 pace is excellent!

Chantilly... I read the same about Ryan Hall and I wonder how his training's going.   I know he's been fighting injuries for a while.    And I'm not sure about Shalane, there's no mention of her being coached by Alberto Salazar any more and I've seen her mentioned in shorter distance races lately.   It doesn't SEEM like she's into serious marathon training right now, but maybe I'm wrong.    Your training's going really well lately, good for you.

Took a rest day yesterday.  Today was a bit cooler, about 20 degrees, 10mph wind, felt like 12 degrees, partly cloudy.  But really, it's just ideal 'winter' temps for running outside, "it could be worse" .........which I tell myself and I get my butt out there, LOL!!  My stretching from yesterday did wonders for my run today.  Took it easy and slow, finished 4.5 miles with 30 seconds walk break after every mile.  Thought of running 5-6 miles but thought better of it; I'll save those for this wknd into next week.  Post-recovery exercises took about 30 minutes with some weights and lunges.  The wind off the still heavy snow covered areas was pretty chilly with the head wind, didn't wear my balaclava, brrrr!

Jo:  taking it slow and easy is good, and with combine with rest days, it allows your body to catch up with the new demands from your running.  Yes, we've all started as beginners at some point and after injuries, it seems like 'starting all over again.'  You're doing great!!

Rich, adkkev, Deb, Dan:  yikes, I hope the storm isn't as bad as the previous ones.  Most of the cold front/snow/freezing rain will be south of us but we get the frigid wind.

adkkev:  good job on the 'hills' .........I wish I had some of those, I miss running hills (on my AZ trails), it's pretty flat here in MN.

Rich:  thanks for the video.  I spent alot of time watching and re-watching the cross-county skiing events of the Olympics!!  Love it!! Nail biting finishes were absolutely exciting!! Tough sport!!

Chantilly75

az2mntrail nice run with the wind blowing at you.

NH Runner I think that Shalane "could" run a good marathon, with her parents being such good marathoners in their day, and she did run a 2:25 in 2012, but we never read of her training, just her great 10 Km results. (I think she is still with Shaumacher, but not certain.)

Did you get the freezing rain? It is melting here.

7 miles.

Some guy our age has shown up at the track the past week, walking for well over an hour with a heavy backpack.  Wonder what he's training for?

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

Some guy our age has shown up at the track the past week, walking for well over an hour with a heavy backpack.  Wonder what he's training for?

Maybe he's preparing himself for some major long distance hike ... Appalachian Trail, PCT, CDT?  At least he'll get used to carrying that heavy pack on his back ... but walking on a track is some different than hiking up & down those trails!!

NH Runner

Thursday, 3/12... 5 mile treadmill run due to the lousy weather.    Since running outside doesn't agree with my achilles lately and I've got a half marathon coming up June 1st, I may resort to the treadmill for a while just to get my runs in.   It's getting late for that half and I'm NOT ready...

az... we actually got a break from the storm locally.   Sections of Vermont got 18 inches, but we probably got 4 total...   It's cold though, we're forecast for -7 tonight with wind gusts to 30 mph.   Tomorrow's looking better with a calm wind and 32 degree high.    You're doing well running outside when you can, I wonder if any other group of people focus on the weather as much as we runners do... lol   And yeah, I don't think I missed any of the XC events in Sochi, those people are unbelievably fit, aren't they?

Chantilly... we got a LOT of rain from the storm.   Today's high was 12 degrees, so now it's a sheet of ice on top of the snow...    Shalane's always tough, but as you know, racing shorter distances doesn't get you ready for a marathon.  We'll see, eh?

adkkev

We did not get the forecasted amount of snow, not by a long shot.  But mother nature made up for that shortcoming by giving us nearly an inch of ice ... coating everything!  Very windy & very cold now ... I did cross training this morning with snow & ice removal!!

rmcj001

adkkev - Your cross training sounds a bit better then mine - only shoveling I do is to clean up after the dogs...

Chantilly - 9 & 7 some good numbers.  You asked about Angel Island, it's closer to Marin County - Alcatraz is closer to SF and Angel is a much bigger island, not to mention taller.  For awhile it served the same purpose as Ellis Island...

Rich - Sounds like you going to be TM man for a bit.  Hope it works out with the achilles.  I know you've got things planned out, but you'll do fine.

Az - Your weather sounds cold!  Glad you got your run in spite of it.

Gito/Debra - IIRC you have a race Saturday, wish you luck.

The weather here has been absolutely gorgeous, which is good for running, but makes the water situation no so good.  75F yesterday and 76F today and now clouds with little wind.  Wednesday, 3/12, running with work mate 6 miles in 56:57 which is pretty good for co-worker especially give the temp.  Tried to speed him up to hit his target, but couldn't coax it out of him.  Goal for Thursday, 3/13, was to beat 9mpm, but not by too much.  7.1 miles in 1:01:38 so pretty much on target.  Yesterday there was 1 turtle out on a log in the lake, today there were 3.

Ray

Fletch

Greetings!

Good for you, Ray, for helping the workmate with his training.  And I like the wildlife updates. I ran past a herd of about 15 white-tailed deer on one of my morning runs through horse country.  They were about 50 feet off the road, and calmly watched me run by.  Did your oldest (son/daughter?) follow the GT basketball team to Greensboro for the ACC Tournament (tough loss last night - but closer than I thought they would be).

adkkev - If I had to choose between 10 inches snow or 1 inch ice...I'd ask for a third choice!!  Glad you were able to get in a couple good runs outside before it hit.

Rich - I'll give back some of what you guys gave me a few months back... better to take it easy and be able to run the HM in June, rather than push too hard now and have to sit it out completely.  RE: striders - I'm somewhat informal with them.  I don't time them, but rather run them by "landmarks."  I'll pick out some target (next intersection, 3rd driveway, 2nd telephone pole, etc.) and run hard to that point, then slow down to a walk to recover. They definitely tire me out, but I think it has helped with my form when I pick up the pace.

7/9/7 - that's some strong running days, Chantilly.  Lots of military in my area.  Often the backpack runner/walkers are getting in shape for deployment.  RE: garden - we can start a little earlier here, but you'll have a leg up on us when we start hitting the 90-100 degree days in mid-summer and the plants are gasping for air and water.

Az - Nice run- 4.5 miles, in the cold and wind.  I know what you mean with the stretching.  I MAKE myself spend that time stretching after every run, and I think it has definitely helped.

Jo - Don't worry about what your training plan looks like "on paper."  If it works for you, you're more likely to stick with it.  As for the critters in the garden, we have three dogs that pretty much keep the critters out of the back yard.  But I have to fence in the garden to keep the DOGS out.

No running on Wednesday.  Took the day off from work and traveled to Greensboro for the first day of the ACC basketball tournament with brother-in-law.  Drove back in the middle of a severe thunderstorm - wind gusts up to 60 mph!  In fact, three people in the area were killed by falling trees or limbs.  Two were in cars when trees fell on them, the other was a man who walked out on his back deck and was struck by a falling limb.

Got out Thursday afternoon for my final run before the race Saturday.  3 miles.  Forecast for Saturday is partly cloudy, 50 degrees at race time.  Should be a good time.  They're expecting over 1,200 runners.