50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2015 runs and workouts (Read 11 times)

Rest day yesterday (Saturday).  DH left early on a day trip near Minneapolis for some truck parts, I decided to stay home.  Glad I did as I woke up with a slight migraine which got worse as the day wore on.  Probably due to lack of sleep Friday night.  Not sure why that happen .......went over every detail of Friday.  Did go for a run that day so was anticipating a good night's sleep but instead, tossing and turning till finally falling asleep close to 4 AM!!  Anyway, this morning, felt so much better.  The breeze made for a cool morning keeping the clamminess at bay, about 63 degrees, partly sunny.  Met up with trail running buddy at the rec area, Movil Maze.  She ran 22 yesterday so this is her 'recovery' run.  No one else on the trail as we made our way through the quiet woods, some short hills.  We were soaked when we finished 8.5 miles.  Great run!!

Art in AZ

Did the 27.5 mile bike route this morning. It was hot out but the "breeze" helped some. Took 2 bottles of water and a small bottle of Gatorade, energy bar and a bag of grapes. Pretty normal ride accept for the weather. Saw other bike riders but no runners today.

Rich - I'm sure you'll solve those issues and have it running soon enough. Then the fun begins tearing up the dirt.

AZ - It is disturbing when you can't fall asleep until a few hours before you have to get up.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Hope your headache is better.  Maybe too much heat last week. Good to be out with your friend.

adkkev You have such nice scenery to run in.

NH Runner More McGyvering there for you! And a rototiller, now, too. You should be getting some aerobic benefit from all that tinkering!

Couple of 7 mile runs are nice.

Art in AZ You have had some long runs in the heat. A lot of refreshments needed in the heat on the bike ride.

rmcj001 Hope your leg continues to mend.  Meteor shower sounds interesting.

justrundan 3 days in a row is a nice start to the fall season.

Week off due to sciatica and work.

Ran 7 miles today, still having pain down the outside of left leg, but now it stops at the knee, doesn't go all the way down to the foot, so it is getting better. The Pilates exercises are a type of stretching for my degenerative discs, which pinch off the sciatic nerve sometimes.  I get lazy about keeping them up.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 8/17... 3 mile walk yesterday and creaked and groaned my way through a 4 mile run this morning.    Legs are stiff, probably caused by the sprints I did towards the end of my run 2 days ago.    Tomorrow's another day...

az... migraines can be downright painful, good to see yours didn't last long.   Nice run with your buddy yesterday!

Art... 27.5 is out o my league on the bike right now, nice ride!    I paid $125.00 for the rototiller and have already ordered a new carb for it.    Minor stuff's all that's wrong with it, it's a big machine and worth considerably more than I paid for it.    My niece has already asked if she can 'borrow" me and the tiller to put her garden in next spring...lol

Chantilly... yes, the tiller will give me an aerobic boost, it probably doesn't weigh a ton, but sure feels it when I move it around...lol   Hang in there with that Sciatica, it can be tough to get rid of...

Chantilly75

NH Runner Sprinting will do that…. Those arm workouts with the tryke should help with the rototiller….got any spinach?

Ran 6 miles, then changed my shoes and walked for an hour.

It cooled off here quite a bit. 69F for the high. Last week was high 80's to 91F.

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

6 mile run on the track

10 minutes stationary bike

1 mile run

1 mile walk

free weights

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/18... sauntered down the railtrail this morning 7 miles at an easy pace.     In case you didn't know, Ultra spelled backwards is Artlu.    Since I'm the opposite of an Ultra runner, I must be an Artlu runner...lol  An Artlu runner's marathon would be a 5 mile run and you get to stop for lunch along the way...lol   Oh and you don't really race, you just kind' a shuffle along...

Chantilly... I can't believe you didn't pay for your weights during your workout!   Good grief woman, don't be so cheap! lol     Nice workout even if your weights were free...

Art in AZ

Took Monday off just because.

Did 5 miles this morning (Tuesday) before going out to work.

Chantilly - Nice group of runs after the break. It's funny about the longer runs. I don't necessarily feel tired from running but feel exhausted instead. I blame it on the hot weather.

Rich - An Artlu runner huh. Could be the start of a new running fad.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Thursday, 8/20... other than a 1.5 mile walk with Sim, took yesterday off.     Ran 7 this morning on the railtrail, a good run that felt easy in the early going, but more difficult towards the end.     Running by feel rather the watch is probably smart so soon after coming back from an injury...

Art... I think I was feeling the effects of the paint fumes from my latest project (the rototiller) when I made that last post.    I'm sticking by it though, I'm still no Ultra runner...lol

adkkev

Monday - 1 mile warm-up walk on the treadmill followed by 1.5 miles on the arc trainer (modern torture device), & then 4.6 on the spin cycle.

Tuesday - 1.5 mile walk on the treadmill, progressive hill program, then 4.15 miles on the elliptical on a hill program

Wednesday - 5.2 running miles on the treadmill @ a modest pace.

Way to hot & humid to run outdoors this week ... I've done that in the past & learned my lesson.

Rich - another recovery project with a rototiller?

We took a mini road trip to Vermont on Saturday, took some back country roads here & there, & crossed the Green Mountains on a seasonal forest road.  The forest road follows a stream/creek on the western side of the mountains & you could really see the damage that the heavy rains caused (Hurricane Irene) along the stream/creek.  The road had been rebuilt in a few places along with two new bridges.  Discovered a couple small lakes hidden away in the national forest, perfect for a canoe adventure some day.

Chantilly75

NH Runner Artlu runner seems like someone who should be at a luau handing out pina coladas.   7 miles doesn't sound like a shuffle….and since those dumbbells are 20 years old, I guess they ARE free weights. LOL.

Art in AZ  Nice to get out early before work.

adkkev  Some challenging workouts indoors plus a nice roadtrip for you.

An hour and a half  of yard work yesterday.

8 miles on the track today.

Sonata Arctica

Sunday: 8.5 miles on trails.

Monday: rest day.

Tuesday:  4.5 miles on TM.

Wed:  rest day.

Thursday (today):  drove to state park bike trail.  Gorgeous today, about 70 degrees, partly cloudy sky, 45% humidity, slight breeze.  Lots of walkers, cyclists and few runners.  Wanted to get in at least 10 miles but felt great so finished 12 miles instead, yippee!!   DH flew out early this morning for a symposium in Oregon, returning late Sunday night.  Car show and a 'festival' in nearby town this weekend.  Might ride my harley to check it out.  There's a group trail run Saturday morning so that's my priority for now.  So much to do, so little time, LOL!

NH:  "running by feel" was what I did as I forgot my garmin but know the distance by now so no big deal.  "Running on Fumes?"  LOL!!

adkkev:  another adventure awaits you ........you are good at finding places to explore!

Chantilly:  what races do you have coming up?

Dan:  hope you're getting some runs in between your busy days.

Ray:  wishing you healthy recovery.

Art in AZ

3 miles Wednesday.

8 miles Thursday.

4 miles this morning.

Rich - I see AZ beat me with the "running on fumes" line. I'm sure all of us have had runs like that where we tire early for some reason.

adkkev - It's always a pleasant surprise when you find something new in your adventures. Those two lakes should provide some fun and interesting scenes.

Chantilly - Well with the weather getting back to normal for this time of year I'm going to try and hit the garden. Hopefully I'll get a couple of things started.

AZ -  It always feels good when we can do more than we originally intended. Good luck with your weekend decisions.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

az2mntrail That's better weather to get in 12 miles. Sounds busy at your place. I guess you don't have much longer to ride your Harley, the summer will soon be over. 

All I have so far is a HM in Sept.

Art in AZ  Hope it cools off a little for you. Do you have to add some kind of soil mixture to the garden? I have clay based soil which needs some potting mixture around the plants.

9 miles, then back to work.

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Monday, rest day - felt like I barely moved, but  DS2 and I walked to food trucks and back before heading to movie, Straight Out of Compton.

Tuesday, 4.4 miles at a relatively slow pace, followed by 1.2 mile recovery walk.

Wednesday, 5.1 miles at very easy pace, followed by 1.8 mile recovery walk.  Evening DS2 and I walked the Dish briskly forgot to start watch, so it shows up in logs at  3.9 miles but closer to 4 and a quarter.

Thursday, 10K brisk walk.

Friday, 6.6 miles at a moderate easy pace, followed by 2 mile recovery walk.

Chantilly - We've got heavy clay soil here and DRY.  They're saying that El Niño this year could be really strong (80%?).  We're crossing our fingers...Some good running for you this week.

NHRich - With the tryke and the 'tiller, your arms should be getting a good workout. An "artlu" runner? Maybe you've got something there, maybe not... Your recovery seems on pace.

Art  - Some nice runs and gardening.  What the winter crops for this year?  Or, are they autumn crops?

adkkev - Too hot and humid for outside, but you got it done!  Important.  Weekend trip sounds pleasant.

Caught a Pacific Ring Neck snake last week, DW had to get some pictures.  Originally she wanted to keep it, then we read that their average lifespan in captivity is max of 6 years, while average lifespan in wild is 10 years with max of 20.  Release the little guy today.  I thought it was a very young snake, but at 18 inches it is max size already which means it was probably 5-6 years old already...Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Ray