50 and over 5k and beyond

August Runs and Workouts (Read 21 times)

adkkev

3.25 miles at lunch time around the office 'campus' ... I knew it was supposed to be a nice day so I brought my running gear with me to work.

Debra - that particular canoeing spot is about an hour and a half from our house ... it is all state land ... there's actually a dam at one end that backs up the water from the Cedar River (hence the name Cedar River Flow) & the dam is a "leftover" from the logging days of the Adirondacks.  There are a few free campsites near the dam (no running water & only a couple outhouses), first come, first serve, as well as the canoe/kayak boat launch.  No motor boats.  The Northville-Placid Trail runs through here ... that's a 122+ mile trail that runs from the southern edge of the Adirondack Park to Lake Placid, traversing some of the most beautiful & remote sections of the Adirondacks.  I have hiked this trail twice.  We are very fortunate to live so close to such beautiful country.

This is a picture from a couple years ago when we paddled this same area ... after crossing the "flow" you enter the actual Cedar River and this is what you find.  That's Mrs. Adkkev paddling ahead of me in her canoe.

WDWRich

Fletch_NC - My running partner is a 5yo black lab (pure).  I take him on runs of 4 miles or less (mostly my weekday runs).  He loves it, and gets a bit put out when I head out for longer distances.

Saturday morning saw a return of the humidity, so I limited my run to 10k.  Spent an hour in the weight room on Sunday with DW.  Today is going to be a rest day.

Hope you all had great weekends!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Chantilly75

16 miles on the track.  Felt good.

TRI group was there doing speed work... they are fast!

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

16 miles on the track.  Felt good.

TRI group was there doing speed work... they are fast!

Nice running Chantilly!!  Especially when it feels good!!  

adkkev

4.25 miles Monday evening around town ... not sure if I'll get any running in today (Tuesday) or tomorrow because of the forecasted heavy rain.

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly~16 "felt good" miles - those kind of days are a treasure!

Dan~What model Garmin did DS get?  I really admire TRI athletes, but although I spent summers at the lake with grandparents, my swimming ability is lousy at best! Last weekend, the USA Sprint Nationals were in town with over 5000 athletes.  Earlier in the week, I,ve never seen so many runners/cyclist downtown!  They had gorgeous weather, too.

WDWRich~The humidity didn't keep you down, great run adn x-training!

adkkev~Continue to share the beautiful photos of your outings.  Nice canoes, too  Kevlar?

Missed 2 training runs over the weekend.  DH and I drove back up to Peninsula to pick up DS from XC camp.  DS looked as he had grown another inch, lost 3 pounds and was so tan!  Brought my running gear, but decided to hike and kayak with DH.  The bay was like glass on Sunday morning.  paddled to view the caves at the 150' bluffs in the park.

Monday - 11 miles at the indoor track due to thunderstorms. Hockey / figure skaters on the ice, but suprisingly, had the track to myself.  Great music on the sound system made for a great run.  Steely Dan, Pink Floyd and Tom Petty, yea!

Tuesday - SRD

Run strong, friends!

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

Debra: yes, those canoes are kevlar ... they weigh 24 lbs.  Which makes for easy loading/unloading on the car & easy carries over pesky beaver dams!!

Fletch

Greetings from the sidelines!

Dan - nice running with DS.  The TRI sounds like fun...except for the biking...and the swimming!   Hope your good weather is holding out this week.

adkkev - Nice runs.  Keep the pictures coming...that is BEAUTIFUL country!

Deb - Sounds like a nice Sunday morning outing with DH.  And a good run on Monday...should be, with that music playing!

Chantilly - Anytime you can use the terms "16 miles" and "felt good" to refer to the same workout...that's a GOOD DAY!

WDWRich - Nice 10k run.  Labs make good running partners.  My frequent running partner is a terrier mix named Brady.  Lots of energy, but he gets a little perturbed if I'm not moving fast enough to suit him.

Still no-go for me.  I'm giving it a few more days, and then calling the doc if it's not improving.  I didn't expect to be running by now, but I thought it would feel better than it does.  I'm going stir crazy.

Happy Running!

rmcj001

Like a bad penny I'm back...

Fletch - Don't know if you are up for it yet, but what I found that helps my achilles is ladders - not going up (although that is necessary) but coming down.  Slow the process of coming down so you use the calf/achilles to lower yourself.  We have a folding ladder to the 2nd floor of our garage and I use that to stretch out the achilles.

adkkev - The pictures are gorgeous!

Debra - Young males seem to sprout!  Nice mileage.

WDRich - Good to see you back!  Weather throughout the state has been so weird...

Altair - Welcome back.  Good to hear you've been persevering in spite of the problems.

Az - Massage, roller, compression, ice, heat, rest - sometimes it just takes time.  Hope you're getting more of those nice runs in!

Dan - Door county sounds nice.  Next road trip that takes within a state we'll need to visit.  Which Garmin did DS get?

Rich - Keeping active on the bike - that's good.  Don't push it too much, it's a fine line to not over do it.  Did they give you a time frame before impact activities?

MKay - Did we lose you on the monthly switch?

Chantilly - You're getting in some impressive runs!

10 days of rest, walking and no running   Swelling in leg finally went down and then the bruising finally became visible last Thursday.  So, some sort of tear.  Yesterday got out there for a shake down run that figured I could end early if things didn't feel right.  Everything loosened up nicely and feeling really good. 7.7 miles or so in about 1:04:30.  Used fitbit to time things yesterday and distance is just an estimate (probably being generous...).  Legs are telling me that it has been awhile...

Ray

Chantilly75

adkkev Looks like fairly clear water in that photo.  Nice area.

gito57  Sounds like it is great where you were out on the water, too. Nice to have the track when thunderstorms roll in.

Fletch_NC Did you look at any of the physiotherapy videos on youtube about achilles' problems? I have used some of their exercises for different aches and pains.  If you have coverage, a real physiotherapist may be helpful.

rmcj001 Good to hear that you are feeling better. Pretty fast run for going back out, no wonder the legs complained a little.

8 miles at 6 AM.

4 miles after lunch in sunny 82F.

Didn't feel as hot as last week.  Sept. marathon was 84F by noon a couple of years ago, so need to be acclimatized.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Hi everyone! Been awhile too.  Last Sunday, I had the most wonderful 10 miles trail run with my trail running buddy, then by Monday afternoon, I had irritated throat, achy all over, completely congested, headache, ears plugged, coughing and just downright exhausted!!   It usually takes about 2 weeks for whatever 'bugs' to take over system so DH and I figured it was during the Mankato trip.  I had a few patients coughing/sneezing when I attended to them, and my immune system was pretty susceptible due to lack of sleep and not feeling well.  Anyway, it was total misery as I rarely get sick but when I do, it hits me like a freight train.  I don't take meds so I just let it take its course all week with plenty of rest and experimenting with various fruits/veggies infused water to stay hydrated (I don't drink soda, seldom drink juice).  Poured over ice, it was refreshing and kept my fever down.  Lack of appetite didn't help but DH got some berries/melons for smoothies which were filling, I made it!! Felt so much better on Sunday!!  The week was incredible too with low humidity, cool breezes and 70 degree range.  I longed for trail running <<sign>> in between my coughs and sniffles, LOL!!  I hope the nice weather continues this week.  It did pour like CRAZY on Sunday but our lawn needed it!!   Anyway, I took it easy and resumed my running on Monday (yesterday).  Decided to just run about an hour, finished 6.1 miles with 1 minute walk break after every mile.  Slept great.  And I went to the Movil Maze mtn bike trail this morning and ran under the cool shade of the trees, awesome!! Didn't even need repellent spray!!  Finished 5.1 miles.  

adkkev:  Gorgeous photos!! Keep them coming!! DW certainly taking in the idyllic canoeing in some picturesque country!! Dodging those T-storms can be a hit or miss. Stay safe.

Rich:  So glad you're doing better and getting some good running in!

Fletch:  I can relate to the 'craziness' of not running.  Ray has a good suggestion, I've heard of running/jogging downhill working different sore muscles, it takes time but be patient.  I do hope that it comes around.  You're being smart on not pushing it.

Chantilly:  Still amazing, girl!!  Where is the Sept. marathon?

Ray:  What a relief that it doesn't sound too serious.  Hope it continues to heal.

Deb:  You've been busy .......driving back and forth and finding time to run, wow!!  Sometimes a different activity keeps those long runs intact!  WTG on taking to the water and hiking!!  I would like to do more kayaking so I will keep you and adkkev in mind for some suggestions.  Have you tried board paddling?  Hey those are my kind of rock tunes too!

adkkev

Good to hear that you're feeling better Az!!

And everyone is having some pretty runs lately!  Excellent!!

Fletch - take care of that achilles ... go slow!!

6 miles for me Tuesday evening ... we had a few sprinkles during the day but no major rain ... so it was cloudy, cool, but humid during my evening run.

Rained most of the night but the commute into work wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be this morning.  Still raining here but it's supposed to end in a little while.  News reports are saying that the Long Island area got whacked pretty badly with the storms ... some areas got 9+ inches of rain!!

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hello Everyone!

Fletch - I'm no expert on sports medicine but my own experience with tendon injuries is that they take time to heal and to put further stress on it might set you back even further - worse case scenario is that it is weak and could snap and you would have to get it reattached which would put you out of the running for many months. Of course you have to be the one who ultimately makes decisions on how to proceed to help it heal. My doctor said when I was injured that to massage the tendon would increase circulation and help speed healing. If you want to try alternative medicine you can get magnets that are alleged to decrease inflammation. I am not really sure if they work, but I heard they do use them on race horses! Also, if you have a juicer you can make fresh vegetable juices which have healing properties as well.

Debra - It must have been a very relaxing time camping without all the technological distractions! Sounds like a lovely park for canoeing and trails. Also, you are lucky to have a nice indoor track to run on in the bad weather with some cool music too!

WDWRich - Nice speed run, good that the heat and humidity was lower. Chantilly - some good long runs, looks like your on track for your marathon training. Dan - I also like to bike as cross training, it seems to develop different muscles in the leg. Nice run with DS.

adkkev - WOW! Really nice photos! Upstate NY has some great scenery, particularly in Adirondack Park . I would like to see other runners post some photos, I am curious what it is like to run in different parts of the country, and I will try to take some pictures of where I run in the Finger Lakes region to share as well. I also was concerned about rain on my Tuesday run, glad there was a break in the afternoon.

Ray - You were smart to rest from running for a while and to run over 7 miles with a fast time shows you have recovered well! Hope you continue to improve.

Az - Glad to hear that you recovered from feeling sick and are back to doing runs. I hate it when I get sick and it sets me back in my training, but it's best to rest up until you feel better.

Here is how my week went: I took a rest day Thursday after my long run last Wednesday and only had time for a short 1.82 mile run on Friday. Saturday I did my 3.87 mile run and noticed improvement in my speed, I guess the longer runs are helping. I seem to be in transition from a jogging stride to something more like really stretching my legs a little and pushing off and really trying to be into more of a running form. Part of me was holding back and I found myself in an awkward, hesitant, in-between form, but since I have been training well I made myself do the longer strides and if not exactly in true running form all the time at least making improvement. When I did this run a week before it was at a slow 12:23 pace, this time it was 10:34! I followed up with a Sunday run of 4.96 miles and then on Monday a run of 3.66 that goes downhill for the first half then rises 250 feet for the next 1 1/2 miles. My long run was Tuesday and I had concerns about rain, considered doing it early because it was not raining when I got up, but glad I waited because it soon came down hard! By 1 PM the heavy rain had passed and I started my 11.92 mile run. Light drizzle at the start which soon stopped, it was overcast and windy and 82 degrees when I left. This course starts a gradual uphill climb at mile 2 which continues to almost mile 9 with a gain of about 250 feet and then it is mostly an easy downhill from there! Easier than last week which ended with a steep hill! There was some cooling light rain at the midway point and then some brief interludes of sun after mile 7. I had some nice views of the valley and it was a quiet run through rural areas with fields of soybeans and tall fields of corn, also some ponds surround by black cattle (Angus?). I finished in 2:26:27, a 12:18 pace. Temperature had gone down to 77. Rain returned in the evening with some thunder storms. I plan a 13.14 mile run next week and then no more long runs until the HM on the 31st.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                              Get up, get out, get out of the door!

rmcj001

Chantilly - Nice double!  Let's hope for better weather during the marathon this year.

Az - Sounds like a nasty cold.  Incubation periods are grand - just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...Good to hear you out running again.

adkkev - Hope you were able to get in your run today.

WDRich - Nice running partner.  Our younger lab mix can do 5-6 miles, but his pacing is so uneven...

Altair  - Interesting, work out schedule.  Are you following a formal plan?  Think I used a Hal Higdon 10K plan when I did my 2nd 1/2 - my longest run on that was 10 miler with weekly mileage in the 30-40 mile range (8 weeks).  Mostly just curious.

Tuesday, 7.7 miles at slightly slower pace then Monday.  Turned out to be a progressive run with last .7 at sub 8mpm pace.  Felt like work.

Wednesday, 7.8 miles at leisurely 9 minute pace - legs are definitely feeling the layoff - but, today is a recovery run day so should be some fatigue...

Ray