50 and over 5k and beyond

August Runs and Workouts (Read 21 times)

adkkev

4 miles Sunday morning on the rail trail ... wildlife sightings included one squirrel & a pit viper (i.e., garter snake) sunning him/herself in the middle of the trail.  Three Dog Night concert in the evening (am I dating myself with that?).

Altair - yes, I get pretty sweaty on the lunch runs ... we have showers here at work.

WDWRich

Altair - Heat & humidity definitely affect one's pace and the way you feel running/working out.  Don't stress too much about pace, you're getting the distances done and IMHO, that's the important thing.

After a week off due to the muscle strain, I went out Saturday morning for a short run (5k distance).  Felt just a bit of tightness on downhill sections, but that was it.  Will resume normal training this week.  Next weekend DW and I will spend the weekend with DD and family in the San Pedro area.  Hope to get in a long run with DD.

Happy running all!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

WDW Rich - oh, your upcoming weekend sounds fun!! Wish I could get my daughter to stick with running long enough to piece together 3 miles while I can still run it, too!

AZ - What, me race? Seriously!! I'm a fourth level Half Fanatic! HM last weekend. The Giant's Race (HM) next weekend in SF at AT&T park and the Embarcadero. It was a deferral from last year and I don't remember why I thought it was a good idea; will be a very pricey tech shirt, bobble head and medal (hopefully). The Air Force 5k and HM 9/19 and 9/20 (training runs).  Iron Horse HM on Oct. 10th (seemed like a good idea in Jan.) Indianapolis Monumental Marathon (HM) on Nov. 1 (running group fall destination race and I'll probably finish the HM but run the full for training), Philly Marathon on Nov. 23rd (my fall destination race) and Disney World marathon on Jan. 11th (my attempt to BQ). This was why I have been so annoyed at my lack of training progress. I have places to go and things to do!!

adkkev - good eye and nice run!

Another nice 5k at the gym last night and went to bed with sore legs.  That hasn't happened in a looong time! I need to, get to, start planning my training again.

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

WDWRich

Mary Kay - It was DD who several years ago convinced me to try some races longer than 5k.  She runs HMs more regularly than me, and has run the Walt Disney World (full) marathon as I see you are planning to do too.  The RunDisney races are great fun- they just cost a lot more $$ than almost every other race I've entered.  Refresh my memory here- do you ever get to run any of the races at Disneyland (CA)?

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

NH Runner

Sunday, 8/24... Day off.   Attended local crafts fair and was amazed at the number of women stopping at booths selling handcrafted jewelry.   I'm curious what the attraction is ladies, are you looking for something unique or something in-expensive?

Monday, 8/25... 6 mile run today on the railtrail, it's hard to believe I haven't run this far since May, but true.    Splits were 11:36, 10:41, 10:37, 10:39, 10:27 and 10:27.    Minor discomfort in my leg after 2 miles, but no big deal, I'm just after time on my feet at this point.

az... chin up about your FIL and Odie, life isn't much fun sometimes, is it.   And you gotta love those lost posts, especially when you type as slow as I do...   You had a good run with DB and his GF though, good for you!

adkkev... you're getting in some decent mileage lately, are you running any races soon?   I can't tell you the last time I saw a wild rabbit, the coyotes seem to keep their numbers in check.    Did see a wild hen turkey the other day though with the 2 surviving poults from this year's brood.

gito... that's a pretty nifty training run, 13.1 with aid stations, tech shirts and a finisher's medal...   I like the way you ran it too, nicely done.   The bike ride helped with recovery, eh?  That's great!

Altair... I like the way you take everything in during your run.    I tend to be the same way, I like knowing what's going on around me.   Nice training run!

mK... you're making good progress lately, keeping yourself physically fit is smart, keep up the good work!

Fletch

Hello, friends.

I have missed everyone.  No time now to catch up on everything, but I wanted to check in quickly and give an update.  Still not running due to the achilles injury.  It's better now, but I'm not taking any chances.  Trying to keep the fitness level up with other activities.

My last mention of my father-in-law was late July, when we were hopeful that we would be able to move him to an assisted living facility, possibly by mid-August.  Unfortunately, that good day at the end of July was a rarity.  As often happens with elderly patients in health care facilities, the MRSA developed into pneumonia.  In addition, he suffered several strokes.  Last Wednesday, he was admitted to a hospice facility.  At about 2:30 Friday morning, he passed peacefully, with DW by his side.  We had a beautiful memorial service yesterday.

We are now dealing with my mother-in-law.  She was at first resistant to moving, but now has agreed to consider one of the facilities here in our area.  We will be working out those details in the coming days.

Sorry for such a "downer" of a post.  I promise to catch up on the happenings soon.  And I have other, more cheerful news to share.

I'll be back here soon.

WDWRich

Fletch_NC - Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law.  Our condolences and prayers go out to the entire family.

Rich

Was wondering where you were Fletch.  That's what we are here for:  sharing the sad and good news with our friends.  Our sympathies to you, DW and the family.  I think each of us will/have experience that with our aging parents.  I wish the best for MIL, glad she is allowing to be in a care facility.  Hugs to DW.  Take care of yourself too.  Patience isn't my best attribute especially when it comes to injuries that limits my running/training.  I tell myself ..."there will always be races; just keep training smart"

adkkev

wow, Fletch ... so sorry to hear about your Dad ... hang in there!

5 miles for me after work on the Erie CanalWay trail.  Warm & sunny.

Finally got out on the dirt road for a 'short run' ......much cooler temps, 60 degrees with very windy conditions, cloudy, sporadic light rain ....... pushed on for 2 miles as my ears and throat were not happy with the 'cold' air.  Kinda freaked about a relapse so ran another 2 miles and headed home.  It turned out to be a progressive 4 miler:  9:40; 9:31; 9:15; 8:55!! Didn't plan on it but it was a treat!!  YAY!!

WDWRich

AZ - How id Odie doing?  Our older dog is about the same age (she turns 15 in November).  It's so sad when our furry family members start to get near the end.  We always take solace in knowing we gave them the best life possible, and I'm sure you've done that too.

Rich

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/26... 1 mile walk with Sim, then a 10 mile mtn bike ride in 47:03    A lot of the railtrail is loose dirt that's similar to beach sand, great for working your legs.   Quickest mile was 3:47, slowest 5:51.

Fletch... my condolences to you and your wife, losing a parent is extremely difficult...

az... nice run!   And fast!

AZ - How id Odie doing?  Our older dog is about the same age (she turns 15 in November).  It's so sad when our furry family members start to get near the end.  We always take solace in knowing we gave them the best life possible, and I'm sure you've done that too.

Rich:  appreciate everyone's concern for Odie .......he's getting hugs numerous times/day, he always loves getting attention from anyone!! He barks at cars/strangers just to get petted .  He's doing okay considering, resting alot but DH takes him for their daily walks morning and evenings for quality time with each other.  I take him after my run for a short walk 'cool down.'  He tends to get very clingy when he's not feeling well so he's been by my side throughout the day, following me around the house to keep me in sight.  Such a good dog.  We changed his diet to oatmeal, bread, lean meat mixed with his dog food, etc. as recommended by Vet, nothing too fatty; so far, he's been keeping it down so that's good.  We always limited 'people food' but under the circumstances, whatever he can keep down is worth it.  No pain meds so far.  Each side of our family have been calling and we give him hugs for them, he loves it of course.  Yes, I can't imagine him not being around .......

Crazy Diamond

Fletch~My sympathies for your loss.  I hope being surrounded by family will help bring comfort to your mother-in-law.  Take care.

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC My sympathies are sent to you and your wife.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica