50 and over 5k and beyond

2021!!!! (Read 16 times)

rmcj001

HAPPT NEW YEAR!!!  2021 is here and looking forward to a better year then last one!

Just a quick drive by to wish everyone the best for the new year!

Ray

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hey Ray, thanks for starting us off in 2021, and happy New Year to you!

Last night DW and I had our traditional NYE cheese fondue, and possibly more wine than we should have. Wink  I still slept pretty well and got up not too sinfully late (around 8:30 am), and took the dog to a spot on the Rock Island Trail.  We had a really fun run, and, not feeling any pressure to get a lot of miles, I decided to quit for the day on a high note. Only 2.25 miles today.  I guess if I want to set a goal of 2021 miles this year, I'll have to get serious at some point.

Have a great new year of running, everybody!

Art in AZ

Yea! A new year and a new start.

3.9 miles This morning. Since it was the first of the year I was anxious to see how my knee felt for running. So I did a walk/run today. Walked the 1 mile to the park, did first set of exercise and then ran about 1/4 mile and felt fine with just a slight feeling. Walked to the first push-up station and did some push-ups. A short walk and another 1/4 mile run, walk/run, walk/run, walk/run and then finished walking home. Each run seemed a little easier but I stayed with my plan. I didn't want to push too hard. Was pleased with the outing so I figure I can slowly add a little to each segment until I feel able to get in a solid mile and then build from there.

Ray - Glad to see you're still healthy.

Led - Congrats on beating your year mileage goal.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Happy New Year!

Friday, 1/1... ran 5 on the trail yesterday and another 6 today.  Yesterday went pretty well, today I did a flying faceplant 5.5 miles into the 6 miler.  Everything's frozen solid and boy, did I ever hit hard!  Limped the rest of the way home nursing a very sore lower back.  Now I'm hoping for a good night's sleep, that'll get me back on track as quick as anything.  I tried calculating the force I hit the ground with, but didn't get an answer that made sense...Lol  A 175 pound object traveling @ 6 mph, does anyone know?   It might be just short of 525 pounds, but again, I'm not sure...

Ray... thanks for starting off the month and yeah, we definitely need a better year than the last one! lol

Led... sounds like you're getting off to a good start in the new year.  Smart run today, finishing with a smile...

Art... it sounds like your plan for starting back running is going to work, good luck!  Baby steps...

Az... your last post in December you asked if I was cooking anything new and I've taken to buying Organic blackberries for making pies and I've got a real good recipe for chocolate cream pie.  It's not your typical recipe that calls for chocolate pudding, you actually make your own pudding.  The way DH likes chocolate brownies, if you made him this pie, he'd sweep you off your feet and take you on a month long vacation! Lol  If you'd like the recipes, let me know...

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Happy new year everyone! Let's hope things get back to normal soon!

More days of double shifts for me with like a 18 hour shift that ended Wednesday morning. I was supposed to return after 8 hours off, but knew I would get stuck overnight yet again so I had to call off. Thursday and Friday were my off days and I just rested the whole time. I miss running, but have not had much of a chance to do so. Still feeling tired, perhaps I may go get tested. GF is now running a temperature over a 100, hope she is alright. I hope I will have a better news to report later this week.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
            Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

3.9 mixed miles Saturday morning. Knee felt fine and running seemed to be a little easier.

4 miles Sunday morning. Increased running time a little as everything felt good.

Altair - Hopefully you and girl friend are fine. With your scheduled, even with the rest, it's a wonder why you feel tired.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

RichardR

First couple of runs for the New Year in NW suburban Houston, both confined to a neighborhood - flat streets, easy running, and yesterday pushed hard, which went all right - I wasn't intending to, it just happened.

Work calls tomorrow, so I won't get my planned 7-8 miles.  Will need to go shorter.

Everyone take care, and do what you can to be safe, and we hope the end of 2021 will be more encouraging that the beginning.

HAPPT NEW YEAR!!!  2021 is here and looking forward to a better year then last one!

Just a quick drive by to wish everyone the best for the new year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR Ray!! Good to hear from you ........ any races plan for this year?

Hey Ray, thanks for starting us off in 2021, and happy New Year to you!

Last night DW and I had our traditional NYE cheese fondue, and possibly more wine than we should have. Wink  I still slept pretty well and got up not too sinfully late (around 8:30 am), and took the dog to a spot on the Rock Island Trail.  We had a really fun run, and, not feeling any pressure to get a lot of miles, I decided to quit for the day on a high note. Only 2.25 miles today.  I guess if I want to set a goal of 2021 miles this year, I'll have to get serious at some point.

Have a great new year of running, everybody!

Happy New Year Led!! I looked up Rock Island Trail ..........guess the "Rock" comes from the cement/paved portion of the trail? Ouch!! Looks like a neat trail for a bike ride though. Says it's 7 miles, looks like nice scenery.  Good job on getting out after a "wild" cheese fondue party, LOL!! What's the earliest race you have signed up for, if any?

Yea! A new year and a new start.

3.9 miles This morning. Since it was the first of the year I was anxious to see how my knee felt for running. So I did a walk/run today. Walked the 1 mile to the park, did first set of exercise and then ran about 1/4 mile and felt fine with just a slight feeling. Walked to the first push-up station and did some push-ups. A short walk and another 1/4 mile run, walk/run, walk/run, walk/run and then finished walking home. Each run seemed a little easier but I stayed with my plan. I didn't want to push too hard. Was pleased with the outing so I figure I can slowly add a little to each segment until I feel able to get in a solid mile and then build from there.

Art:  Yes, a new start for 2021!! YAY!!

Walk/run is the best way to get back to the starting line ....... I had to do that for almost 3 months after my calf tissue/muscle tear injurt in 2015. It was so sloooowwww .......building up to a 1/2 mile, then a mile, then 1.5, etc....it tested my patience for sure but I kept to the "plan" too. Glad it looks promising!! You'll be a blur soon!! I'm trying to see if my "deferrment" to this year in the Whiskey Basin HM trail run is still good ..... haven't heard from them yet. It's in April ....sent them an email.

I think you mentioned you ran it, right?

I did register for the 2021 Soulstice mt trail run, Oct 2021. 

Happy New Year!

Friday, 1/1... ran 5 on the trail yesterday and another 6 today.  Yesterday went pretty well, today I did a flying faceplant 5.5 miles into the 6 miler.  Everything's frozen solid and boy, did I ever hit hard!  Limped the rest of the way home nursing a very sore lower back.  Now I'm hoping for a good night's sleep, that'll get me back on track as quick as anything.  I tried calculating the force I hit the ground with, but didn't get an answer that made sense...Lol  A 175 pound object traveling @ 6 mph, does anyone know?   It might be just short of 525 pounds, but again, I'm not sure...

Az... your last post in December you asked if I was cooking anything new and I've taken to buying Organic blackberries for making pies and I've got a real good recipe for chocolate cream pie.  It's not your typical recipe that calls for chocolate pudding, you actually make your own pudding.  The way DH likes chocolate brownies, if you made him this pie, he'd sweep you off your feet and take you on a month long vacation! Lol  If you'd like the recipes, let me know...

NH: HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Ouch!! Not a good way to 'run into' the new year! OMgoodness!! Glad you didn't lose any teeth or broke a nose ..... you need your back to get back to running. It probably felt like a force of 525 Ibs, it may be half of that but who cares, it's still agonizingly biting. I hope a good night's rest will spring you back to life .........it probably will take a few days though. Some stretching and hot pad should be comforting. Gosh, I can't believe that happen but with all the slick snow and ice, it does happen to the best of us. Take care!

Send me the recipe. Sounds interesting. Never made my own pudding before.

Our second GD's birthday is on New Year's Day, she's 8 now ...... which is our anniversary as well ....... DD made red velvet cake with cream chesse frosting. Looked so yummy via text photo, LOL!!

First couple of runs for the New Year in NW suburban Houston, both confined to a neighborhood - flat streets, easy running, and yesterday pushed hard, which went all right - I wasn't intending to, it just happened.

Work calls tomorrow, so I won't get my planned 7-8 miles.  Will need to go shorter.

Everyone take care, and do what you can to be safe, and we hope the end of 2021 will be more encouraging that the beginning.

RR:  way to get known around the new neighborhood!! How do you like it so far? The weather? Hope you explore the area for new running trails, should be plenty of them. Happy New Year!!

Sounds like everyone is off to a good start .........well, except for NH

After my Grand Canyon hike/run on X-mas day, I ran an easy 3 miler the next day.

Rest Sun. It snowed Mon and Tues so trails were pretty muddy and slushy. But I did manage to get in a short 4 miler on Wed. 

Thurs: New Year's Eve, DH and I stayed up till 2 am!! I don't drink on New Year's Eve ......or when it's really late so we just sipped hot cocoa and watch New York's small gathering of first responders in Times Square.

Fri:  New Year's Day, it is my "tradition" to run.........no matter where I am, no matter the weather, I run minutes that correlate to my age ........so it was 60 minutes on mostly slight muddy trails near home, with some areas of snow, partly cloudy, cold breeze but it was invigorating!! Distance wise, it was 5.7 miles. Thought about running to make it an even 6 miles but I just decided to stay with my plan.

Sat:  we decided to drive down to Phoenix to visit the DD and the 2 GDs ....... visited outside with masks on......for about 30 minutes, dropped off their gifts. I can't believe how much they have grown, good lord, the older GD is 9.75 years old (her estimate, LOL) and already 5 ft tall!! 

DH had to check out some car parts that "he might need" .....he didn't get them. He dropped me off at a park with trails and I ran 6 miles with good decent hills. Not many hikers. YAY!!  He ordered online for pick-up from PF Chang's. Found a quiet spot in the park after my run and we ate. Drove home after that. It was a nice drive overall.  But we must have gotten lucky on the direction and timing of our trip because when we drove there and back, there was heavy traffic almost to a crawl on the opposite direction of the interstate.

Sunday:  5 miles on the trail near home. Ran with mr bones. He did good!!

Monday (today):  planning on 8 miles on a different trail after I get done with checking my emails.

Take care, stay safe and onto brighter 2021 adventures!!

NH Runner

Monday, 1/4 ... first foray back to staying active was 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill today.  No running for this kid just yet, but I'm up and moving, so it's all goood.

Az... I'll find the link to that recipe and pm it to you.  You can thank me later...

I'll get back to answering individual posts once I'm normal again.  Normal being a relative term.  Don't hold your breaths...Lol

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I had another lazy (2 mile) run with the dog Saturday, then Sunday I made up a bit by going 7.5.  The 6 solo felt really good, probably because I was well rested. This morning, back to work, meaning early rising, but it was only early enough to get in three miles.

Art - Sounds like your knee is coming along well. Good job easing back into your running, and getting push-ups along the way.

Rich - Oh no, sorry about your face plant. Hope you recover quickly.  Chocolate pie! You remind me that my grandmother used to make them from scratch, topped with meringue. I'm thinking that she used cocoa and eggs and cornstarch, but I was just a kid, and didn't really pay attention to the cooking part of it. Sure, I wouldn't mind having your recipe.

Altair - Sure hope you and your GF stay healthy. You would benefit from more rest, I'm sure.

RichardR - Hope Houston is good to you and you flourish there, in running and living terms.

az - Nice New Year's Day run and other runs! Glad you got a bit of time with the grandkids.  Rock Island takes its name from the rail line it was converted from.  You probably would *not* consider any of our in-town trails as "trails", practically all of them being paved, smooth, and flat. Smile  I've been getting a number of race solicitations, but haven't signed up for anything. Got a bit burned last year, having to convert three spring races to virtual.

MTA: the important word *not*