A-Z Recipes

I got beets (Read 234 times)

Beets came in my veggie basket this week...giant golden beets. I have no idea what to do with them. Anyone?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Parboil them and skin them, then bake them. Or oil them and throw them on the grill, eat the inside Or peel, slice and pickle Or grate and toss in vinegar Or chop/grind/puree and mix in a soup with potatoes and celery, salt to taste. And steam the greens too!
      sluggo

John

Beets came in my veggie basket this week...giant golden beets. I have no idea what to do with them. Anyone?
        I grew yellow beets in my garden last summer. They are sweeter than than the std red beets but I cook them both the same. Cut off the greens clean, chop and sett the greens (including the stems) aside scrub the beets with a vegetable brush or something similar maybe peel them a bit (but usually don't) slice thin cook with a little oil in a large, covered skillet, turning once in a while when nearly done, throw the greens on top and cook some more cook until the greens have wilted I don't recall the timing - the whole cooking routine might be 10 or 15 min Oh! I usually add salt while cooking too. They are pretty good. Enjoy!

John
        www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

skinnycaponesugar

I've never seen golden beets...but I suppose you can bake them together with other root vegetables, like I do with red ones. Cut in large cubes, toss in with potato, pumpkin (not a root, I know), sweet potato, carrots. Sprinkle with herbs and spices, drizzle with olive oil and bake (~180C) until potato is cooked through and has golden edges. mmmmmm Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

god i love beets... i like them this way best: - boil, rinse under cold water to cool, skin them - slice into nice, thick discs onto plates - sprinkle w/ a nice, salty feta - drizzle with some balsamic - grind a bunch of pepper on top SO GOOD. alone or with peppery greens. so yummy, so healthy, so easy. so... BEST. i bet they'd be great grilled and then served this way, too.