A-Z Recipes

Substitutions (Read 174 times)

Dry white wine- do you think I could get away with using either white wine vinegar or plain old chicken broth in a recipe that calls for 1 1/2 c. of dry white wine? The recipe is a chicken and rice dish. The dish already calls for chicken broth, so not sure I'd want to overdo it. What would the vinegar do? Anyone ever substitue for it before?
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Do not use vinegar, it would sour the food beyond edibility. 1 1/2 cups of vinegar is a LOT. Why not use the wine? The broth would likely be fine.
        Do not use vinegar, it would sour the food beyond edibility. 1 1/2 cups of vinegar is a LOT. Why not use the wine? The broth would likely be fine.
        I just don't have any wine in the house. Ok, I won't use the vinegar then. I thought maybe a smaller amount, but 1 1/2 c. sounded like too much to me too. Since it's a chicken dish, guess I'll try the broth. Thanks!
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You should just go buy some wine Smile Drink the rest.
            Drink the rest.
            It'd definately be fun. I don't drink. Wink

skinnycaponesugar

If you leave the rest you won't have to buy white wine vinegar next time you make the recipe. Smile

Love, Run, Sleep

A Saucy Wench

I get the little 4 packs of "single serve" wines for cooking when I am in a non drinking mood. I found this list for future reference: Nonalcoholic Substitutions For soups and pan sauces use extra broth and add red or white wine vinegar or lemon juice right before serving using the following ratios: To replace 1/2 cup wine use: 1/2 cup broth + 1 teaspoon wine vinegar 1/2 cup broth + 1 teaspoon lemon juice Wine, Red Note: add water, white grape juice, apple juice, or broth, if necessary, to get the specified amount of liquid called for in the recipe. or Grape juice; vegetable stock; cranberry juice; tomato juice; or concord grape jelly. 1/4 cup or more red wine, substitute the following: equal measure of red grape juice, cranberry juice, apple cider, chicken broth, clam juice, flavored vinegar, or nonalcoholic wine. If you use nonalcoholic wine, add a tablespoon of vinegar to cut the sweetness Wine, White White grape juice; apple cider; apple juice; vegetable stock; or water 1/4 cup or more white wine, substitute the following: equal measure of white grape juice, chicken broth, vegetable broth, clam juice or nonalcoholic wine. If you use a nonalcoholic wine, add a tablespoon of vinegar to cut the sweetness. Wine, White, Dry Water, chicken broth, bullion or consommé, gingerale, white grape juice, diluted cider vinegar or white wine vinegar, liquid from canned mushrooms. Wine, Heavy For 1/4 cup or more port, sweet sherry, rum, brandy, liqueur, substitute the following: equal measure of unsweetened orange juice or apple juice plus 1 teaspoon of corresponding flavored extract or vanilla extract. General Marinade Substitutes Substitute for 1 cup of alcohol with: 1 cup of citrus juice, lemonade, pineapple or orange juice. 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice or orange juice. 1 cup of tomato juice diluted by 1/4 with water or vinegar. 1/2 cup of light soy sauce and 1/2 cup of citrus juice. 1/2 cup of light soy sauce and 2 tablespoons of peanut oil. 1 cup of teriyaki sauce 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7