A-Z Recipes

Stuffed Squash (Read 196 times)

Here's a nice winter recipe that I like. The measurements are far from precise, so just do most of it to taste. Ingredients: Winter squash (I've had good results with Acorn and Carnival. Buttercup tasted good, but the skin fell apart) Brown or wild rice Nuts (choose your own. I like walnuts or pecans for this) Frozen cranberries. Dried cranberries will do in a pinch. Brown sugar Nutmeg Cinnamon Cut the squash in half and scoop out the goop (technical term) and seeds. Put about 1/4" of water in a baking pan, and place the squash halves in, face down. Bake at 400 until a fork can easily push through; about 30-40 minutes. Empty any remaining water when done. For each full squash, you'll need 1 cup (dry) of brown or wild rice. Cook it according to the instructions. Chop the nuts. I like them finely chopped, my girlfriend prefers them whole... When the rice is done, add the nuts and cranberries. Add brown sugar, testing periodically to see if it is a good sweetness. Add a little bit of nutmeg and even less cinnamon. Again, taste to see if it is to your tastes. Turn the squash halves face up and fill them with the rice mixture. Cover with foil and bake for another 10 minutes.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07