A-Z Recipes

Strawberry freezer jam question (Read 221 times)

Ok, I should know this since I've made mass quantities of freezer jam the last few years, but I don't! How many quarts of whole berries does it take to make 2 c crushed berries? Thanks for your help! MTA: Well aren't I just stupid! I just found my answer on the back of the recipe card from the berry farm. In case anyone is wondering, it is 1 qt of fresh berries. Blush
    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, look at the card Wink Why make freezer jam? Regular boiled jam is so very very easy and preserves better.

A Saucy Wench

I think freezer jam tastes better. And I have minimal pantry space. I always do freezer jams.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I store most of my jam in the garage, which stays reasonably cool.

A Saucy Wench

HAH! you havent met my dh. CARS get stored in the garage. And only cars and car support stuff..like tools. The only reason I am allowed a fridge freezer out there is there is beer in it. Tongue

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Ha! We actually have a small closet off the garage, which is where we put ours...
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think freezer jam tastes better. And I have minimal pantry space. I always do freezer jams.
                I have yet to make jam (not really a big jam eater, though I do like it...just not enough to make it myself), but I also prefer freezer. It's what my mom made. Some fruits are good in cooked jams, but strawberries are not one of 'em. Trent, how does your garage not get hot in TN? I think the interior of ours often hits triple-digits in the Summer, though it's detached and has no insulation. In the Winter we have stored things out there that need to be kept frozen and safe from critters.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Garage is half underground, under the living space, shaded and gets some of the AC. So it stays cool. If you have space for a freezer, you should have space for shelves Wink
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you have space for a freezer, you should have space for shelves Wink
                    We just have the freezer above our fridge. We talked about putting a freezer in the garage, but I think it would have to work too hard out there. No room in the house for a chest freezer, unfortunately. Sad Your garage sounds excellent--almost like part cellar being underground a bit. That would be awesome for storing a lot of canned goods, I'd think. Our garage is mostly a workshop/bike storage...all 3 stalls worth of it (no cars). Angry

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just made blackberry jam... Should I plan on blueberry jam in August?
                        As long as you make enough for me to take a jar home with me in November..... Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mmmm...blackberry jam is awesome! *sniff* August... Cry I don't think we're going to be making the trek down, after all. When we started to look at what it would cost between gas and lodging the $s started to rack up way fast. Add to that my out-of-state marathon and likely spending Thanksgiving in Chicago at my brother's place.... Plus a good friend of mine in Arkansas just lost her mom to lung cancer (while she, herself, is battling breast cancer and recently had double mastectomy), so a couple of us MI gals are talking about road-tripping down there sometime in Oct. or early Nov. to do a spa weekend with her. We had to cut back somewhere. Sad

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know...I don't get to meet you or bring you tasty gifts from afar. Sad

~ Sarah Kay