Beginners and Beyond

Do you have a Facebook addiction? (Read 139 times)

LRB

If something truly Earth shattering happens, I'll hear it from my MIL. 

Hilarious!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yes. Lol..... I was in college when it started and back then it was only for college kids and it exploded on my campus....it was how you found out about any and all school events, parties ect. So I've been using it for almost 10 years. Now I love it because it makes it so easy to keep up with friends and family all over the country. A lot of my friends and cousins have small children now, and I love being able to see pictires and hear stories easily from my cousins in California of their kids, and my friend from college in TX who just had a baby, ect ect.....I would probably not keep in touch nearly as well with friends or family who live far. People who live thousands of miles away are part of my everyday life and I love that!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It took me two years to decide to join.  And it took me two more years to start using it.  Having said that, I love it.  I wouldn't have saved the pets I have without it.

And well, hanging out with some friends located thousands of miles away is worth it.

Damaris

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Do I have a Facebook addiction?

I guess it would depend on how you define Do.

Hip Redux

It took me two years to decide to join.  And it took me two more years to start using it.  Having said that, I love it.  I wouldn't have saved the pets I have without it.

And well, hanging out with some friends located thousands of miles away is worth it.

I didn't get my pets through FB, but I do have a lot of friends elsewhere from our moving around a bit after school and that is my main way of keeping up with folks.

That said, I'm not sure I need to check in on them as often as I do because none of them lead terribly exciting lives.  lol

happylily

I just don't understand how people can call "friends" other people whom they have either never met, or else met once, and for a couple of hours. I once opened an account on Facebook (under peer pressure) and within a few days, I had over 100 "friend" requests. Well I'm sorry, but I'm not that sociable. In real life, I don't have more than 10 friends. Maybe if Facebook didn't use that term, I'd be more open to the concept.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

I just don't understand how people can call "friends" other people whom they have either never met, or else met once, and for a couple of hours. I once opened an account on Facebook (under peer pressure) and within a few days, I had over 100 "friend" requests. Well I'm sorry, but I'm not that sociable. In real life, I don't have more than 10 friends. Maybe if Facebook didn't use that term, I'd be more open to the concept.

Erm...I actually spend a lot more time on RA than FB these days, and I've never met any of you. But people here are generally more interesting & entertaining than my FB friends, some of whom I've known for decades. And in fact on FB, there seems to be a lot more on my news feed of funny pictures/stories etc. from pages I have liked, than posts from my "friends".

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I have a FB account, but am hardly ever on the darn thing, I check in about maybe once every 2 weeks or so.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

happylily

Erm...I actually spend a lot more time on RA than FB these days, and I've never met any of you. But people here are generally more interesting & entertaining than my FB friends, some of whom I've known for decades. And in fact on FB, there seems to be a lot more on my news feed of funny pictures/stories etc. from pages I have liked, than posts from my "friends".

Sure, we "entertain" each others here. But are we really "friends"? I mean... really? Some of the people I've known for more than 5 years and I feel a strong liking/attachment to them. I may not talk to them everyday, but if they needed my help someday, financial or other, I'd be there for them. But that's just a very small number of people. The majority of the people here are just forum buddies to me. Not "friends". I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to words.

Hip Redux

Sure, we "entertain" each others here. But are we really "friends"? I mean... really? Some of the people I've known for more than 5 years and I feel a strong liking/attachment to them. I may not talk to them everyday, but if they needed my help someday, financial or other, I'd be there for them. But that's just a very small number of people. The majority of the people here are just forum buddies to me. Not "friends". I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to words.

Facebook has a group for "Acquaintances".  Maybe most of your "friends" really fall into that category?

happylily

Facebook has a group for "Acquaintances".  Maybe most of your "friends" really fall into that category?

Yes. But I never stayed long enough on Facebook to figure out how it works. It just irritated me in a way I cannot explain. So if someone asked me to friend them on Facebook, wouldn't I insult them by putting them in the acquaintance category, instead? Would they find out?

Hip Redux

Yes. But I never stayed long enough on Facebook to figure out how it works. It just irritated me in a way I cannot explain. So if someone asked me to friend them on Facebook, wouldn't I insult them by putting them in the acquaintance category, instead? Would they find out?

They don't find out, but I get what you're saying.  There's no "need" to be on FB....   I am a social person, so I enjoy it and like keeping up with folks and hearing all about Phil's running. :P

Most of my family is on my "restricted friends" list and they can't see much of what I do at all. lol

delicate flower

Sure, we "entertain" each others here. But are we really "friends"? I mean... really?

Folks who start off as online friends can become "real life" friends quite often.  I've met a bunch of people from my mountain bike forum that I am now good friends with in real life.  Heck, DW and I first met Oski through a pet forum because we needed help with our dog and she offered.  I'm still waiting to meet some folks from RA/RW and I think that day is quickly approaching. 

<3

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

These days it's the only way I can stay connected with family and friends and see what everyone is doing, it would be weird if I was stalking people outside their house Big grin

I also have my photography FB page to take care of, so I have good reasons Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Folks who start off as online friends can become "real life" friends quite often.  I've met a bunch of people from my mountain bike forum that I am now good friends with in real life.  Heck, DW and I first met Oski through a pet forum because we needed help with our dog and she offered.  I'm still waiting to meet some folks from RA/RW and I think that day is quickly approaching. 

Yes, forum life can lead to friendships, I'm not denying it. But saying that everyone online is our friend is a bit much, no?