Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: Wakey Wakey (Read 33 times)

Cyberic

Vinegar and baking soda (or rather acetic acid and sodium bicarbonate to a chemist) are sitting next to me right now in the lab. Very useful in making compounds that could cure cancer!

I often wish I could use lab solvents to clean things at home (especially dishes). Some of the other best chemicals at home are nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol and drinking alcohol. I wouldn't recommend any of those for clothes though.

Ah! A chemist!

Since rubbing alcohol (iso-propanol) was recommended in the article to get rid of the bacteria causing odor, and that it is usually 70%, I thought I'd use 99.9% methanol that I have in my garage. It costs less (buy it at the hardware store under the name Methyl Hydrate... why they don't use the real name is beyond me) and although it is not the same molecule, I figured if iso-propanol works against a bacteria, chances are good methanol will work too.

Results are inconclusive. Worked in some of my clothes, but did not work in others. My shorts that have a very very tight fabric did not get "cleaned" properly. I mean the fabric does not smell like new.

As I said, acetic acid (vinegar) is my next attempt at it.

Cyberic

Well it's generally vinegar & baking soda together, due to the acid-base reaction.

I'll try that too. But one thing at a time. Maybe that reaction will help dislodge the odor bacterias? Hmmm.

LRB

I ran 7.5.

Cyberic

I think it has something to do with what's in your sweat on a given day, as I only have this issue once or twice a season and even then with only one or two garments. But I could be out in leftfield on that too, so....

In any event, there's a product called Odo-Ban that'll knock that shit right out. You only need a capful in a load of clothes. I was using it for other things for years before I started running, it's awesome.

Odo-Ban, hmmm, I'll check into that.

Cyberic

I often wish I could use lab solvents to clean things at home (especially dishes). Some of the other best chemicals at home are nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol and drinking alcohol. I wouldn't recommend any of those for clothes though.

Why would you NOT recommand alcohols for clothes? Because of the dye?

sdWhiskers

Why would you NOT recommand alcohols for clothes? Because of the dye?

For hard surfaces, methanol, ethanol and isopropanol can all be tried. They are similar but will dissolve different things.

For odor in clothes, one might work? But I wouldn't use them to remove visible stains...the stain will just expand, not disappear. And could affect the dye. I have lots of work clothes and shoes where you can see solvent droplet stains from whatever I was using.

KCRuns

Morning!

I ran 2.4 last night with my group, we ran to Christkinlemarket and had hot chocolate.  It was fun!

I'll get 5-6 on the TM during lunch.

Regarding stinky running clothes:  I've been adding a cup of baking soda to the wash, letting it fill up and agitate for a minute to mix it all up, then stopping the machine and letting it soak for an hour or so.  Then I add a downy ball filled with Lysol Laundry Sanitizer (or vinegar sometimes).  That combo seems to work for all but 1 shirt, which I cannot seem to figure out that one shirt.

sdWhiskers

No running today. I'll probably take an entire week off. Looking forward to almost no laundry this week

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Again, my English being what it is, maybe heel "raisers" was not the correct terminology. This is what I bought. https://www.drscholls.com/products/comfort-and-energy/heel-cups/

Put them underneath my normal insoles. They are gel, so rubbery, and they don't slip. They just stay there.

Stinky clothes: Yesterday I tried rubbing alcohol. It worked for some of my clothes, but not all of them. I'll try vinegar next. But I'm also interested in the "why", and not just the "how". Although if I get the "how" and can't figure out the "why", I'll still be happy 

MTA: Found this on stinky clothes yesterday. I thought it was nice as it is not a company trying to push their product. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/smarter-living/how-to-clean-your-gross-workout-gear.html

Yeah. I use heel cups for whenever my heel gets inflamed but never for running because my foot feels weird.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I grew up with cats so I know they are highly intelligent but that's some otherworldly shit right there. 

It is highly likely she said I fit, I sit and didn’t think this through at all.  She is also fat AF so she was partly sleeping in my arms, partly sitting on the alarm.

Damaris

Cyberic

Ran 35 minutes-ish with 6K@LTHR

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

5 easy today.  My rolling 30-day total just plunged to 75.5, but that will happen when the marathon is 31 days past and I had 10 days of afterwards.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12; Firecracker 4-miler, 7/4

Runshortii

I have 6 to do. Assigned workout is to run 2 miles around a track and sprint the straightaways, but the nearest track is about a 30 minute drive so I'll probably just do 16x100m somewhere. I also might just make it an easy 6 miles because I've been sick since Saturday and this cold is kicking my ass

onemile

I ran 15km with a fartlek of 2x1 2 3 2 1 min

Cyberic

I ran 15km with a fartlek of 2x1 2 3 2 1 min