Beginners and Beyond

Twixt Holidays Thursdailies (Read 20 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's getting late and no one else seems to want to start the dailies.

3+ miles recovery run planned for later this afternoon.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sdWhiskers

6.7 garbage miles. At least the weather is perfect.

Half Crazy K 2.0

4. They sucked.

And now I am making grape juice to make room in the basement fridge.  So many damn grapes this year. 57 lbs total.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

5 miles today. The weather was kind of drizzly but the temperature was mild. I like running in rain in these temps. It was slow but good.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

DavePNW

Hey I’ll join the craptastic run club. 6 sluggish miles with 10 pathetic strides. I would have zero hope for my 5k on Saturday, except my workout a couple days ago went pretty well, and of course I just set a 10k PR a few weeks ago. So here’s hoping for race day magic.

Dave

GinnyinPA

4. They sucked.

And now I am making grape juice to make room in the basement fridge.  So many damn grapes this year. 57 lbs total.

How many gallons of grape juice does 57 lbs. make?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

5 miles outside. I started with hubby but couldn't keep up with him so I ended up 3 minutes behind him. How far I've fallen!

PT exercises after work.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

4. They sucked.

That is a shit ton of grapes!

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

How many gallons of grape juice does 57 lbs. make?

Not as much as you would think. I made some jelly and 5 32 oz mason jars of juice  back in the summer when I first picked them. Today I took about 12 cups of frozen grapes and it made not quite 2 32 oz mason jars of juice.

Crazy thing about the grape volume is that anything that grew within deer reach got eaten, so this was just what came off the top of the trellis.

DavePNW

Ever tried making wine?

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Ever tried making wine?

No. From what I read, these are the wrong type of grapes for that. I think they are Concord, but not sure since I obviously didn't read the little box it came in at Aldi because I thought I bought a blueberry. Anyway, when I looked up wine making, it seemed like it was very precision and measurement based and I don't have the patience for that.

I just recently saw or heard something about grape juice during prohibition and instructions about do not leave this for 20 days in the cabinet or it will become wine, so maybe it's not quite as complicated. IDK, I do sort of a grape juice/concentrate with some pulp and use it in breakfast smoothies. I've told DH we could probably pawn it off on the neighbors right now if we make some sort of purple drink for the playoffs.

DavePNW

No. From what I read, these are the wrong type of grapes for that. I think they are Concord, but not sure since I obviously didn't read the little box it came in at Aldi because I thought I bought a blueberry. Anyway, when I looked up wine making, it seemed like it was very precision and measurement based and I don't have the patience for that.

I just recently saw or heard something about grape juice during prohibition and instructions about do not leave this for 20 days in the cabinet or it will become wine, so maybe it's not quite as complicated. IDK, I do sort of a grape juice/concentrate with some pulp and use it in breakfast smoothies. I've told DH we could probably pawn it off on the neighbors right now if we make some sort of purple drink for the playoffs.

Ha, I was thinking of that exact thing when I asked the question. They sold as big bricks of grape concentrate to dissolve in water. Maybe it’s a little more complicated, because supposedly that stuff made terrible wine. In reality, making wine at home was never illegal during Prohibition.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Ha, I was thinking of that exact thing when I asked the question. They sold as big bricks of grape concentrate to dissolve in water. Maybe it’s a little more complicated, because supposedly that stuff made terrible wine. In reality, making wine at home was never illegal during Prohibition.

I had also read that Concord grapes (if that's what I have) don't make good wine.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In reality, making wine at home was never illegal during Prohibition.

Yes, but you were limited to a measly 200 gallons per year.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I met my RP for 8 with 5 at HMP.  True to the theme of today, the HMP miles were awful.  We'd been closing in on 8:25 avg pace recently, but today I put up a 9:07.  My legs were just dead.  At least I didn't have the abductor problem.  To continue with the crappy day, DW found out her father died in his sleep last night.  It wasn't unexpected; no disease or cancer, but he'd been slowing down for several weeks (he was 93).  DW wasn't particularly close to him but is still sad.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19