Beginners and Beyond

Hi TuesDAILIES (Read 32 times)

LRB

It's taken two weeks but I finally recognized the image in the mirror this morning, damn that was ugly.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  On my way to PT.  Pilates and 5 miles tonight.

Damaris

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

LRB, I'll bet the image wasn't as ugly as my run this morning.

I ran 3.2 thoroughly suckfilled miles.  I needed just a little over 8 for my 200 mile monthly goal, but that shit wasn't happening this morning.  The running parts were so tired and heavy that I surrendered when I got back to my driveway, and I'm ok with that.

This month has still been good for a comeback, and I'll just start working on the next one tomorrow.

Have a great day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Any thoughts: I am considering a half on 3/26. There is a 5/10/15k on 3/12 I want todo. It's about an hour away. Which distance would you chose and why?

delicate flower

Hello IMO!  5.2 mile run this morning at a BRISK morning pace of 7:34.  Usually I am lucky if I can muster a 9:00 pace in the morning since morning running sucks.  Spin tonight.

I usually think of the end of February as being "the worse of winter is behind us."  Sure we could get another storm or two, but with temps warming up, the snow melts fast.  We got off very easy this winter.  Spring is knocking on the door.

Any thoughts: I am considering a half on 3/26. There is a 5/10/15k on 3/12 I want todo. It's about an hour away. Which distance would you chose and why?

I would do the 10K.  It's probably a better predictor of HM performance than the 5K, and the 15K would require too much recovery two weeks out from a HM.

<3

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'd lean toward the 5K. It would double as a hard speed workout and race pace for the HM would seem slow and easy after that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I agree with Baboon. Only on this one thing though.

The 5k would probably be OK too. You might see what your training schedule calls for on that day, and which one more closely approximates the scheduled workout. Also, you might think about which distance you'd rather PR right now, because if you're in HM shape, you can do either.

9 miles with 10 of the lamest strides you'll ever see.

I will post my monthly miles in the monthly miles thread only, so I don't have to do it any more than absolutely necessary.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I was leaning towards the 10k. Mainly because driving 1 hour to race for 26 minutes seems crazy. Oh, and paying the damn tunnel and bridge toll along the way.

I haven't PRed a 5k since November 2012 and 10k since September 2013. F more miles = faster races.

Runshortii

Half Crazy - 10K would be a good HM predictor,  I'm with you on driving one hour for a 26 minute race lol.

5x800m repeats with 1 mile w.u and 1 mile c.d. I was really dreading this and did not want to run at all.  But I did. And it was even a little less horrible than I thought it would be

I was leaning towards the 10k. Mainly because driving 1 hour to race for 26 minutes seems crazy. Oh, and paying the damn tunnel and bridge toll along the way.

I haven't PRed a 5k since November 2012 and 10k since September 2013. F more miles = faster races.

Don't forget to check last year's results, to see which one you have a better chance at AG placing. Often that's the shortest distance at the event.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

Don't forget to check last year's results, to see which one you have a better chance at AG placing. Often that's the shortest distance at the event.

5 k hands down. Looking at last year's results, I'd have a chance at OA placing. But I can't justify the drive and tolls for a 5k.

LRB

I usually think of the end of February as being "the worse of winter is behind us."  Sure we could get another storm or two, but with temps warming up, the snow melts fast.  We got off very easy this winter.  Spring is knocking on the door.

Boon dropping perspective. Boosh.

delicate flower

5 k hands down. Looking at last year's results, I'd have a chance at OA placing. But I can't justify the drive and tolls for a 5k.

The 5K I am doing in March is a 50 minute drive each way.  Also, a very small race with the possibility of OA placement.  There are a few closer 5K's with much larger fields but I am boycotting that race organizer (long story).

<3

LRB

I've been known to drive 90 minutes to a 5k, register, run my warm-up, then leave without toeing the line, so I'm the wrong person to ask on that!

If it were me, the question would be which distance do I think I can race my best at based on what my fitness is.  It makes no since to slog through a 10k if you're not up for it mentally and physically. That's a long time to regret some shit. lol

Half Crazy K 2.0

Baboon, I've never done a race put on by this group. My favorite group has nothing in March, probably because the weather has sucked the last few years.