Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Garden Weekend (Read 21 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Today is World Naked Gardening Day and tomorrow is Garden Meditation Day. So get out there and run through the garden naked, or at least think about.

Now try to get out of your head all day.

PADRunner

5 Miles done this morning. Now off to work and the "Fastest Two Minutes in Sports!"

Maybe some gardening before I go.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning pens! I ran to the bagel place in the adjacent neighborhood today. My neighborhood has no good bagel places and I had a craving for some super tasty carbs. Now I'm on the train down to philly. Tomorrow I'm running broad street with dh, my youngest sister, and my friend from high school. DH will probably run with my sister ahead of me and I'll run with my high school friend at whatever pace he's going at.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Good weekend for gardens.  As Brilliant noticed, I'm running the Garden Gnome 10K tomorrow. Smile  It's a benefit for the local community gardens, and all the runners get a tomato plant to take home.  Guess I'd better clear the weeds out to make a spot for it!  The have actual gnomes that the walkers can take with them and photograph along the way (for the 5K), and there's a contest at the end for the best photos on their facebook site.  So that's fun.  Some people will wear gnome costumes, too.

Good thing it's run tomorrow instead of today!  I wouldn't want to run the naked gnome run!

Hope Scotty's knee is feeling OK!

PAD- Enjoy the Derby!

sapf- Good luck tomorrow!  Hope it's a good time!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  10 done with hubby.

Damaris

Brilliant

Today is World Naked Gardening Day ...

Pad, I saw this yesterday and I hoped nobody would bring it to Scotty's attention.  

Zel, your run sounds super fun, enjoy!

Damaris, nice running, hope you weren't too hot.

Jerry, Jack, and Jill - happy racing this weekend.

Rest day for me today.  I have a friend (non-runner) who came in from out of town last night, just for one night.  We sat around on the back patio drinking coffee all morning; she's just now in the shower and leaving soon but then I have to get to a luncheon.  (can't skip that because remember I'm on the "find free food" plan right now).  Then a friends 50th b'day party this afternoon (more free food!) so you can see I have no room for running in today's busy socializing and eating!

GinnyinPA

I hope all the racers have a good time and run a good time.  Looking forward to the race reports.

PAD - enjoy the Derby.  I usually watch it too.  Were you naked in your garden?  I wouldn't dare, with all the yard salers driving by all morning.

sapf - sounds like a fun time at Broad Street.  Nice to have people you know at your race.

Z - I hope you take pictures of the gnome people.  A free tomato plant is a good prize, if it's a kind you like.

D - good job on the early miles

Brilliant - after all that free food, you're going to need to run!  Sounds like fun.

We walked Ben to the vet this morning and loaded him up with antibiotics and probiotics.  Hopefully it will help.  I want to run a couple of miles this afternoon, if I ever I get some energy.  I need to run, badly.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Finished Wisconsin HM (Kenosha) at 2:18:30, missed PR by 45 seconds, or you might say missed by a portapotty.  Would have been slower, but I was trying to keep up with speedy DW.  She really needs a better RP.

1111/1982 OA

556/776 Boys

6/14 AG

DW

556/1205 Girls  (odd that we were both 556 in gender)

13/47 AG

Weather was perfect about 50 at start, sunny and no wind.

Almost the entire race was within sight of  Lake Michigan including the start and finish.  Potholes were a big problem, but we are used to that.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Jerry and Mrs. Jerry.

PAD, nice 5.

sapf, have fun on the race!

Zelanie, kill that race!

Brilliant, enjoy the well deserved rest.

Ginny, hope Ben feels better.

Damaris

GinnyinPA

Jerry - you and your wife both did great, even if you didn't quite PR.  Was it windy, running by the lake?

I did manage 3 this afternoon.  It felt way harder than it should have.  My legs felt fine when walking the dog, but running is different.  I felt my quads, my hamstrings, my lungs and even my shins in ways I don't normally on a short easy run.  I'm not as recovered as I'd hoped.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

No wind at all, Ginny.  It was beautiful.  It was even warmer at the start than it was last night when we went to dinner.  Now I'm thinking of 4 states in 54 days for the Half Fanatics 3rd level..  I'm looking for one in Indiana or Michigan.

Zelanie

Jerry- Congrats to you and DW! Interesting that the ladies and the guys were similarly matched today.

I ran 6 on the TM and it sucked. It was boring and I wanted to stop. Must mean that I have a good run coming tomorrow.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Z, hope so!

Jerry, still, great job!

Damaris

Robert31320

Team TJ

I didn't run today but I did register myself for my longest race ever.  I'm registered for the Armadillo Broil 25K on August 22.

Time for me to stop making excuses for myself and act like I mean it!

Running for TJ because he can't.

From the Internet.

Ahh, miles uploaded and emailed to coach. 51.1 for the week, 15 today. I felt STRONG today! It was awesome. Slowest mile was my first in 9:44, I lapsed into MP at mile 9 totally by accident and just went with it - ended up doing 4 at MP, one shockingly easy 8:25, last mile cooldown. 9:17 pace overall. I took some diluted Gatorade with me, only drank ~4-5 oz.

Thinking about picking up my knees more and starting my pushoff before I hit the ground has been a minor breakthrough for me, I think. Legs have been feeling awesome even at higher mileage than I'm used to. Glute strength and activation has had a part too. Ack, I can't wait to race!!