Beginners and Beyond

Juicy Banana FriDAILIES (Read 29 times)

LRB

Yep, found deep down in the bottom my backpack. 

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I eat at least one banana a day, but don't like them juicy.

I ran 5.8 foggy miles.  I liked it a little bit.

Have a kickass day folks!

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

I ran 6. It was great until I turned into a headwind for that final mile. Oof.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I love bananas and eat them daily but neither juicy nor with black dots. Wink

I have to make up for yesterday, so PT this afternoon, Pilates and 7.  Glad I am leaving work early, at least.  I'm going to miss PT when it's done because I have to be here every day, gah.

Damaris

onemile

I ran 5.8 foggy miles.  I liked it a little bit.

Do you ever just hate every miserable step?

From the Internet.

6.5 and they were nice except it started snowing and I am just so dang tired of winter. Still on track for 70 this week.

We're supposed to get ~15 inches of snow Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Kill me now. At least it's mid-March so we don't have multiple months of potential snow ahead of us anymore? Although if I get an involuntary taper for my half marathon out of this storm I'd maybe be okay with that. I wanted to use it as a tune-up, coach wants me to be conservative and run it at MP, I can probably get away with an in-between effort to get a better idea of whether 3:30 is realistic if I'm relatively rested going into it.

delicate flower

It's Friday.  LET'S SHOW SOME HUSTLE, PEOPLE!

I swam this morning after a long one day layoff from swimming.  I did a 45 minute straight swim, meaning no stopping.  2350 yards.  I remember so clearly only being able to do 25 yards at a time.  Anyway, easy jog tonight with a 5K PR to set tomorrow.

<3

onemile

6.5 and they were nice except it started snowing and I am just so dang tired of winter. Still on track for 70 this week.

We're supposed to get ~15 inches of snow Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Kill me now. At least it's mid-March so we don't have multiple months of potential snow ahead of us anymore? Although if I get an involuntary taper for my half marathon out of this storm I'd maybe be okay with that. I wanted to use it as a tune-up, coach wants me to be conservative and run it at MP, I can probably get away with an in-between effort to get a better idea of whether 3:30 is realistic if I'm relatively rested going into it.

I would race it all out.  An in-between effort isn't going to tell you much. Go for the sub-1:40, which is what you realistically need to have a decent BQ chance.

I always do a tune up half with a 3-4 day mini taper and usually can still manage a decent week of training, espec if you front-load the week a little

From the Internet.

I would race it all out.  An in-between effort isn't going to tell you much. Go for the sub-1:40, which is what you realistically need to have a decent BQ chance.

I always do a tune up half with a 3-4 day mini taper and usually can still manage a decent week of training, espec if you front-load the week a little

That would work out perfectly - I was planning to front-load a bit anyway knowing I'd likely be forced to take Wednesday off, then I'd run easy with a few strides or hill sprints Thurs-Sat, race Sunday. I have a recovery week built into my schedule the week after the race anyway before I head into peak/20 milers so the timing would be really good to race hard.

DavePNW

I would race it all out.  

What other advice do you expect from this forum?

5 miles.

MTA: but yes, sound advice from onemile (naturally). Although I needed <1:37 to get my 3:30. YMMV. Don't you just need a 3:35? In addition to he mini-taper going in, I usually take a mini-recovery coming out - if there is a workout early in the week, replace it with an easy. (MTA2: sounds like you already accounted for the recovery. Just ignore me.)

Dave

onemile

What other advice do you expect from this forum?

5 miles.

MTA: but yes, sound advice from onemile (naturally). Although I needed <1:37 to get my 3:30. YMMV. Don't you just need a 3:35? In addition to he mini-taper going in, I usually take a mini-recovery coming out - if there is a workout early in the week, replace it with an easy. (MTA2: sounds like you already accounted for the recovery. Just ignore me.)

Yeah, I had a 1:37 and ran a 3:33 but it wasn't a good race for me. I never felt good, even in the beginning.

I think sub:1:40 is the minimum requirement to have a chance but the more under that is better. And a 3:32 would be good enough to get in

Cyberic

Yasso 800s, been wanting to do this for a while. Did 10x800 w/3mins. Avg was 3:05.2

LRB

I think racing a half marathon at full half marathon effort is par for the course during MRT. There are of course exceptions, a couple that come to mind are when you're returning from or nursing an injury or have a goal MP that's so far outside of the box, that you need to use the race to practice it. Another is simply that you are bored to death running alone and just want to use the race for "company" or their aid stations.

Cyberic

Nice swimming, baboon!

Lauren, I like onemile's advice. Maybe just remember it's not a goal race, so if the going gets tough, maybe not dig as deep into your resources as if it was the goal race. But definitely go for it. (I'm just saying. I'm the worse for giving racing advice, as I barely ever race Big grin )

LRB

I wanted to use it as a tune-up, coach wants me to be conservative and run it at MP

This pretty much settles it. Yep. All righty then.