Beginners and Beyond

Juicy Banana FriDAILIES (Read 29 times)

Cyberic

Burn!

Here's one for you two. You train as hard as I do, right? How much has your 5K time improved in the past two years?

What? You can speak louder. Ah, ok. Well mine probably improved by as little.

DavePNW

Here's one for you two. You train as hard as I do, right? How much has your 5K time improved in the past two years?

Ouch! The burnee has become the burner!

Dave

Cyberic

Are you still running a half marathon in April? What is the date?

I have not commited financially yet. I'm not so sure anymore. Probably. But it might also be the one in May. More of my friends are racing that one. Not that it matters during the race, but before and after it could be nice. And today I was thinking I could skip racing altogether in 2017. But I doubt I'll do that.

DavePNW

So are we a go on the 5k this weekend?

Probably. Online registration has closed, so I will just show up, which of course means I can back out at the last minute. But no reason to do so - what's the worst thing that could happen in a 5k? I honestly think it would be a good day if I go sub-21. I ran a HM on 1/21, and since then I have done no speedwork other than a single tempo run. Nothing at 5k pace. So will just be an opportunity to give the legs a workout.

Dave

Cyberic

Ouch! The burnee has become the burner!

onemile

The 5k's I ran in 2015 were:

12/31/2015 Run

Run into the New Year

Race 3.1 mi 20:41 6:39 9.0    
              10/18/2015 Run

The Pumpkin Run 5k

Race 5.0 km 20:29 6:36 9.1    
              6/17/2015 Run

Run for Justice 5k

Race 3.1 mi 21:30 6:54 8.7

That 20:29 was my PR until spring of 2016 where I got it down to 20:08.

So to answer your question, from March 2015 to now, I have brought it down by 1:22

onemile

Probably. Online registration has closed, so I will just show up, which of course means I can back out at the last minute. But no reason to do so - what's the worst thing that could happen in a 5k? I honestly think it would be a good day if I go sub-21. I ran a HM on 1/21, and since then I have done no speedwork other than a single tempo run. Nothing at 5k pace. So will just be an opportunity to give the legs a workout.

The only thing you can do between now and then is go buy some racing shoes 

DavePNW

Since you asked, here's my 5k life history:

Date Time Comment/excuse
                  6/7/2014 21:33 1st 5k, 1st AG 
                  2/1/2015 23:15 blizzard
                  6/13/2015 21:36  
                  6/28/2015 21:17  
                  7/11/2015 20:48  
                  11/26/2015 20:40  
                  12/20/2015 21:32 hilly AF
                  1/1/2016 20:48  
                  4/16/2016 20:42  
                  5/21/2016 20:09 PR!
                  6/25/2016 20:22  
                  9/24/2016 20:32  
                  10/30/2016 20:49  
                  11/24/2016 21:04  

So actually fairly steady improvement till my PR, then pretty much a steady deterioration since then. So...

MTA: oh yeah, the actual question:

So to answer your question, from March 2015 to now, I have brought it down by 1:22

1:24 for me!

Dave

Cyberic

The 5k's I ran in 2015 were:

12/31/2015 Run

Run into the New Year

Race 3.1 mi 20:41 6:39 9.0    
                    10/18/2015 Run

The Pumpkin Run 5k

Race 5.0 km 20:29 6:36 9.1    
                    6/17/2015 Run

Run for Justice 5k

Race 3.1 mi 21:30 6:54 8.7

That 20:29 was my PR until spring of 2016 where I got it down to 20:08

So 21 seconds it is. On a good day, maybe I can do as much, but probably not because my 5K PR was run on an indoor track. It was a race, and I decided to keep it as a PR, but I was slower than that on the road.

onemile

So 21 seconds it is. On a good day, maybe I can do as much, but probably not because my 5K PR was run on an indoor track. It was a race, and I decided to keep it as a PR, but I was slower than that on the road.

That would be 1.5 years.

There is an indoor track 5k here I have always wanted to run but it is in January and I am never in racing shape in January.  When I was struggling with trying to run sub-20 last year, my coach actually suggested looking for a track 5k because then I could run it for sure

Cyberic

Oops, missed that part

DavePNW

The only thing you can do between now and then is go buy some racing shoes 

Dave

onemile

Oops, missed that part

To be fair, that Run for Justice one was when my iron was low and I was struggling and my previous PR from before that had a big hill. So the 20:29 was probably closer to the truth.

Cyberic

And Dave 1:24. That's good, guys. I really didn't think you improved that much. I thought 30 secs max. And I was not trying to pick on you, I put myself in the same boat.

Cyberic

I don't know....I have a hard time holding my 5K race pace for longer than a quarter mile in training.  I never know what my race pace is going to be until I race.  Even my current PR was something completely out of the blue.

You're right, of course, but as impressive as that pace can be on race day, it can also be disappointing.