Beginners and Beyond

Juicy Banana FriDAILIES (Read 29 times)

onemile

And Dave 1:24. That's good, guys. I really didn't think you improved that much. I thought 30 secs max. And I was not trying to pick on you, I put myself in the same boat.

I historically have not been able to run a good 5k.

My HM PR is probably a better gauge of my little gains in the past 2 years

9/18/2016 Run

Fox Cities Half Marathon

Race 13.1 mi 1:32:49 7:05 8.5    
    9/20/2015 Run

Fox Cities Half Marathon

Race 13.1 mi 1:32:16 7:03 8.5    
    9/21/2014 Run

Fox Cities Half Marathon

Race 13.1 mi 1:34:21 7:12 8.3    
    5/3/2014 Run

Wisconsin Half Marathon

Race 13.1 mi 1:34:22 7:12 8.3    

Cyberic

The only thing you can do between now and then is go buy some racing shoes 

Dave, you race with the same yatchs you train in? If so, you might be surprised by holding a pace a few seconds faster on a 5K.

DavePNW

And Dave 1:24. That's good, guys. I really didn't think you improved that much. I thought 30 secs max. And I was not trying to pick on you, I put myself in the same boat.

Well I was being as defensive as possible, but point taken that 5k gains are hard to come by. Of course I've never run one off anything but marathon or marathonesque training.

Dave

DavePNW

Dave, you race with the same yatchs you train in? If so, you might be surprised by holding a pace a few seconds faster on a 5K.

Ha, yes. I'm still in the mode of thinking that for someone at my level, it wouldn't make much difference. But maybe it would, IDK. A few seconds pace is a lot in a 5k.

Dave

onemile

Once you have run a BQ time, you earn the right to race in lighter shoes

Cyberic

I historically have not been able to run a good 5k.

My HM PR is probably a better gauge of my little gains in the past 2 years

9/18/2016 Run

Fox Cities Half Marathon

Race 13.1 mi 1:32:49 7:05 8.5    
              9/20/2015 Run

Fox Cities Half Marathon

Race 13.1 mi 1:32:16 7:03 8.5    
              9/21/2014 Run

Fox Cities Half Marathon

Race 13.1 mi 1:34:21 7:12 8.3    
              5/3/2014 Run

Wisconsin Half Marathon

Race 13.1 mi 1:34:22 7:12 8.3    

And that was my point. Hopefully you guys race because you like it. And that is a great reason to do so. Because we do not improve much in a year.

Cyberic

Ha, yes. I'm still in the mode of thinking that for someone at my level, it wouldn't make much difference. But maybe it would, IDK. A few seconds pace is a lot in a 5k.

Personally, when I put on a pair a NB 1400s on compared to my usual trainers, I'm positive I can hold a faster pace for a 5K.

DavePNW

Once you have run a BQ time, you earn the right to race in lighter shoes

Oh, I missed that in the list of perks. I have so far only used it to allow myself to give training advice to people. And of course to go out of my way to bring it up in conversation whenever possible.

Dave

DavePNW

Personally, when I put on a pair a NB 1400s on compared to my usual trainers, I'm positive I can hold a faster pace for a 5K.

Or in Yasso 800s anyway.

Dave

Cyberic

Or in Yasso 800s anyway.

Haha. No I wasn't wearing my 5K-10K race shoes. I was wearing fast shoes, but not as light as the 1400s. I'm saving those.

Runshortii

I ran 9. Workout was 6 miles easy with 3 miles supposed to be at HM pace +20-30 seconds.  Splits were 7:47,7:50 and 7:47. Maybe I'm getting this pacing thing down

Cyberic

I ran 9. Workout was 6 miles easy with 3 miles supposed to be at HM pace +20-30 seconds.  Splits were 7:47,7:50 and 7:47. Maybe I'm getting this pacing thing down

Yep. That's excellent pacing.

LRB

I ran Detroit 2014 in my DS Racer 10s (a 6.75 ounce shoe) because it was a PR attempt. I ran Boston in my land yachts but I was there to just cover the distance, mostly. I ran CIM in my Pure Connects because I thought I would be running at something much faster than easy pace...and I sorta kinda was, until I wasn't. 

Anyway, there are people much smarter than I who have presented data that shows that there is an effect on pace both with weight of shoes and the marathon and length of shorts believe it or not. None of it  really matters though because you can usually find an exception to every rule, or the other side to any argument.

Ultimately it comes down to the person and what they're most confident in. Because as we know, without confidence, it might be a long ass day no matter what you're wearing!

DavePNW

I ran Detroit 2014 in my DS Racer 10s (a 6.75 ounce shoe) because it was a PR attempt. I ran Boston in my land yachts but I was there to just cover the distance, mostly. I ran CIM in my Pure Connects because I thought I would be running at something much faster than easy pace...and I sorta kinda was, until I wasn't. 

Anyway, there are people much smarter than I who have presented data that shows that there is an effect on pace both with weight of shoes and the marathon and length of shorts believe it or not. None of it  really matters though because you can usually find an exception to every rule, or the other side to any argument.

Ultimately it comes down to the person and what they're most confident in. Because as we know, without confidence, it might be a long ass day no matter what you're wearing!

You guys might be able to talk me into a racing shoe, but shorter shorts - forget about it. No one wants to see that. Sticking with the 9-inchers.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I can contribute on the how slow has your 5K gotten since your PR....

PT had me hopping on one leg most of the hour. I discovered I can run but that leg is fucking weak. I am halfway through the time it takes to be back to 100%. She was happy, though. I am now running all sore.

Damaris