Beginners and Beyond

Waddeling Monday Penguins (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"The only way to the finish line is to be at the start."

PADRunner

Don't know about Scotty but I'll be doing some waddling today.

Knee's are good hip is better. A definite RD.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today.  I had a busy weekend:

On the weekend of December 13 – 14, 2014, I participated in four 5Ks.  My reports and photos of these races are at the links below.  

December 13 at 8 a.m: St. Jude’s Jingle Bell 5K in Gruene:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/29c4495e9cc54ae6a17c0622a96a41a4/resume#focus

December 13 at 4:30 p.m.:  Arthritis Jingle Bell 5K at Valero:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/c527078f526f4ce09fac8ccbd54e7db5/resume#focus

December 14 at 7:30 a.m.: The Biggest Loser 5K:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/9cec2e32ec934f93a228210fa91b15b7/resume#focus

December 14 at 5 p.m.: Carrera Races Holiday 5K:

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/74a8200d504045e797e7faf479b0b64d/resume#focus

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the PR, PAD.  Enjoy the RD.

Congrats on the 20K Scott.

Feeling pretty good after yesterday's 12.  1 mile streak run this afternoon for me and DW.

Have a great week...

tracilynn

Morning penguins

rest day for me although will be deep cleaning my whole house today.  Hope to some strength later.

~~~~~~~

Traci

Robert31320

Team TJ

Hoping to get in some miles this evening.  Feel like crap and tired now so we'll see what happens.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

SRD for me but I will try do some shopping while DD2 is at swim. Is Christmas shopping considered a workout? DW is tough to shop for and I"m not looking forward to it. Sigh...

Have a good day.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, we did our church choir cantata on Sunday, and it went well, so woo-hoo!!  Now there are only three gigs left until Christmas!!  Unless I decide to go caroling with the church next Sunday, which would give me four gigs.  I'll probably decide that at the last minute.  Our heat pump is dead, I think.  It smelled like burning electricalness on Saturday night, so we shut it off and put blankets on the bed.  We figured we could make it through the weekend, so DH is getting someone to come out and look at it today.  I just found our appraisal for our refinance a few years back, and the house was built in 1995.  I suspect this is the original heat pump, so I guess we're due.  Le sigh.

PAD -- glad you're feeling better, enjoy the RD!!

scotty -- hope you had all kinds of fun this weekend!!

Jerryb -- enjoy the streak run!!

traci -- hope the house cleaning is satisfying!!

Robert -- hope you feel better this evening!!

Jack -- Yes, at this time of year (close to Christmas) it's considered a workout!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

PAD and Scotty, enjoy your well-deserved rest!

Jerry, nice streaking.

Robert, hope you feel better/well enough to run later.

Hopesmom - oh no on the heat pump!  I hope you can get it fixed quick.

Traci and Jack, enjoy the rest day.  Although house cleaning and Christmas shopping are not exactly "rest." Smile

I did a 7 mile tempo run this morning.  It was hard.  Although I'm training for a marathon on March 15, there's a half marathon on Feb 1 that's equally important to me. So I'm going to do most of my pace runs between now and Feb 1 at Half Marathon goal pace instead of marathon goal pace.

Singer who runs a smidge

Update on the heat pump:  It was in defrost mode and needed a new filter.  New filter plus spring inspection for $180.

AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

GinnyinPA

PAD - I'm so glad the knees behaved for your race.  Enjoy your RD.

Scotty - you earned your rest day, for sure. How do you feel after all that activity?

Jerry - almost a rest day. Will you do your mile at the gym or on the streets?

Traci - company coming?  Good luck with your deep clean.

Jack - shopping at this time is definitely a workout, if not combat.  Good luck.

Robert - I hope you feel better soon.

HM - we have someone coming to look at our heat pump today too.  It's not broken, but it's old, so Jim wanted someone to check it out so it doesn't break in mid-winter.

Brilliant - I've wondered about that too.  Since it is recommended that you run races during marathon training, should you run tempo runs to increase your speed and stamina? HH doesn't even do speedwork at the beginner and intermediate levels, probably to avoid injury. But, like you, I'd like to PR at my local HM in March.  Will increasing mileage between now and then in preparation for the marathon be enough?

AFM:  heading out shortly for a long run.  There's a little sunshine, at last, which will make it so much more enjoyable.

on my way to badass

Happy Monday Penguins! PAD- congrats on the PR, enjoy the RD. HsM-good news on the heat pump. Scotty- nice job on the 20K weekend. Brilliant- nice tempo run! AFM- I ran for a whole hour this morning. Still streaking.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

obiebyke

Hi, y'all. Good stuff out there! Is it as unseasonably warm where you are as it is in Minneapolis? This is my last week at my terrible job. I'm training in my replacement and it's exhausting! I might take an URD today, also as a way to have a back off week after finishing C25K over the weekend. We shall see.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Enjoy the rest day, PAD. Congrats on your PR!

Happy streaking to you and your wife, Jerry!  Aren't you in Chicago? Isn't it a bit cold up there for streaking?

Deep cleaning a whole house does not sound like a rest day, Traci!

Hope you feel better, Robert.

I think holiday shopping is considered x-training, Jack...you're out among all those people and have to do all this maneuvering to avoid getting knocked about by the crowds of people....that will take a toll on your legs!  Good luck!

Good news on your heat pump, HsM!

Congrats on your 7 miles, Brilliant!  Good luck with the training!

Hope your long run went well, Ginny!   Yeah, legs feel okay, but they are giving me messages to  rest today.  For last week, with my four races, I got in 28 miles for the week - my weekly mileage is normally 15 - 18 miles - so Legs were complaining  a bit, especially at that last race, which was hilly.

Way to go on the hour run, StoneFence!

Normally, obiebyke, we are in the high 50s, low 60s for December in San Antonio.  This week it is going to be near 70 every day!  Looking out the window of my office...BRIGHT sunshine, blue sky!  Yeah, a little out of normal for us this time of year...it's nice!  Especially since I really hate cold weather.  Yay for your last week at your terrible job!  What's next, then?

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

obiebyke

I'm jealous of the sunshine. One of the tradeoffs for warmth is low cloud cover.

Next spring I'll be adjunct teaching at a local community college. As for the real full-time job, I have lots of applications out, and I'll supplement with a job at a co-op if I'm still high and dry once 2015 rolls around. It's all good. I'm excited!

Normally, obiebyke, we are in the high 50s, low 60s for December in San Antonio.  This week it is going to be near 70 every day!  Looking out the window of my office...BRIGHT sunshine, blue sky!  Yeah, a little out of normal for us this time of year...it's nice!  Especially since I really hate cold weather.  Yay for your last week at your terrible job!  What's next, then?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)