Beginners and Beyond

ThursDailies - Still Humid (Read 35 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Onemile...Why are those redwing blackbirds so mean!! I got attacked on a run last summer and now am totally paranoid.

Having been attacked by bees on the course last time and being subject to mosquito bites like I'm a candy factory, mark me as never running near blackbirds ever.  Or going to Jurassic World in case of pterodactyl attacks.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

KC, there is a table I've seen that gives you a percentage to slow down. I think on the worst days it's like 10%. I like that because it accounts for not being fast to begin with.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have never seen this air quality classification before, not even with our fires. But OK, I'll stay indoors; not like I need much encouragement.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

8.5 on the AlterG, and I really needed about twenty miles more than that because I'm so stressed out it's not even funny.  (If I'm taking on the job of a co-worker who retired, in addition to the one I already had, don't you think my raise should encompass both of our salaries instead of just a meager bump up to what hers was?!  This is not worth the stress.)

Bluerun... Quoting you from yesterday "Did a 4 mile race and decided not to go for a PR given the 75+ DP... placed first in my AG and beat my revised goal by a nice margin, so yay." Can I just say that when you say something positive, it really just makes my day?! Nice job on the race. Also, with those Brooks shoes you posted yesterday - I really want two of the left shoe, with the red stripe!

I have to admit that it kind of really bothers me how asymmetrical it is to have two different shoes, and I am also partial to the red ones.  But this is what they offered, so...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

I have never seen this air quality classification before, not even with our fires. But OK, I'll stay indoors; not like I need much encouragement.

Awesome!  Maybe I'll come visit you soon.

chasing the impossible

onemile

Onemile...Why are those redwing blackbirds so mean!! I got attacked on a run last summer and now am totally paranoid.

I have gotten attacked 3 times this year. I hate them!  And they are along all of the routes near my house and my preferred route near work. 

onemile

Question for the group: how much does your summer easy pace vary from your normal easy pace?  I have been about 45 seconds to a minute per mile slower on the high humidity days and don't know if that's in the normal range or if I'm being a wimp and should push the pace a little more.

My easy run pace is pretty much the same in the summer but I run my easy runs slower than most people

sdWhiskers

SdWhiskers...Well done at your race! How's Mr. Whiskers take the losing? That'd actually be fun if you guys were close enough in pace that he wins a few and you win a few

His focus is Sprint triathlons so he's not logging too many miles.  He can beat me in a 5k by 2-3 minutes (unfair testosterone advantage!) but doesn't really stand a chance for anything longer. His pacing is also all over the place so I know better than to run with him, lol

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Are sensitive groups anyone who tries to exercise in those conditions?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

sdWhiskers

I can't take another run in this weather. 5 of the sweatiest miles I've had in a long time. I'm not ready for vacation to end but I can't wait to run back home.

Heading to a water park with family today. It's almost too gross out even for that!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awesome!  Maybe I'll come visit you soon.

I take it you are not part of the sensitive group. I’ll be inhaling albuterol in my little corner.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Are sensitive groups anyone who tries to exercise in those conditions?

Well, you know runners are sensitive. Ha.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

I take it you are not part of the sensitive group. I’ll be inhaling albuterol in my little corner.

It doesn't matter if I'm not on terra firma

chasing the impossible

Cyberic

Question for the group: how much does your summer easy pace vary from your normal easy pace?  I have been about 45 seconds to a minute per mile slower on the high humidity days and don't know if that's in the normal range or if I'm being a wimp and should push the pace a little more.

I don't think much about my easy pace. So many things to take into account when you're training, I try not to think about my pace when I'm running easy. It is what it is.

I don't like running slow, though. Not because of my stats or anything. Just because my form becomes very sloppy, and although it is still good for the cardio, I think running lots of miles (or time) with sloppy form must be harder on the body. Muscles are not as contracted to keep everything correctly aligned.

But if I'm out there running, and I'm running slower because that's what I feel is a good pace in the heat, then that will be the pace I'll be running at. The next day, though, I might not be out there running sloppy miles.

KCRuns

Thanks for the feedback, that is really helpful!  I'm following my training plan, and it has goal paces on there, even for easy days.  On days when it's cool or low humidity, I can hit those paces very easily and feel good.  On hot, and especially very humid, days, I'm struggling and abandoning the plan and then going by effort instead of pace.  I'm fine with not hitting the paces as long as that makes sense for the conditions.  I'm not fine with it if I'm just being a wimp.  But it sounds like I'm in the right range for the conditions, so I'm going to let this go and quit worrying over it.  I'll just trust that I'll see the gains this fall.