Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES are not interested in the forum this morning (Read 42 times)

Cyberic

It's past 10, and no dailies yet!!!

RunningWithMyDog

Good morning, my runny friends.

Slipped on ice last night while running home. I was carrying a backpack with my work clothes and shoes, so it took most of the impact, but my bum is still a little bit sore.  Nothing that can't be managed.

I really should have had the spikes on - the temperature was above freezing all day, but was dropping below zero (Celsius) just as I was running home.  As your driving instructor may have told you, bridges ice first.  I was reminded of that yesterday - the hard way.

Today is really warm, though - getting up to about 8 degrees Celsius (46 degrees in freedom units) so I'm going to try to sneak out a little early and go for a nice 12.5 km through various parks.

Then I'm at a hockey tournament up north Friday-Sunday, where it will be both too busy and too cold to get any running done.

P.S.  Is there anything better than Balega socks in the winter?

bluerun

Super B****

RunningWithMyDog, that’s my worst nightmare — glad to hear you’re okay!!

8 on the AlterG here.  I’m stuck in an all-day departmental meeting and I’m already bored.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

My Adidas (not the Run-DMC song) have Continental rubber and sticks like glue in the wet.  

I have not noticed that they stick good (have not noticed the opposite either), but what I have noticed is that Continental rubber lasts a looong time. With Continental rubber and Boost foam, I have gone up to 1000 miles once, and a few times over 800 miles with Adidas running shoes. I have never gone over 600 miles with any other brand of shoes. 5-600 with Mizuno and Asics, and more like 350-450 with New Balance and Saucony. Adidas give me the most bang for my buck.

Cyberic

RunningWithMyDog, ouch. Glad you're ok. Is that hockey tournament for you of kids?

KCRuns

Good morning! I am planning 4-5 on the TM during lunch today. It's 57 here and I'm kicking myself for not getting up early to run this morning.  But I was so tired last night and needed the sleep.  Oh well.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates, 6-8 miles and weights tonight.

Damaris

delicate flower

'Morning!  Last night was a WTF.  I felt fine after my 6 mile run, but then I couldn't get warm in the shower and started to feel crappy.  I put on sweat pants, a hoodie, and a vest and was still cold.  I ate dinner then went to bed at 8:30 shivering cold and feeling like hell.  I woke up a couple hours later feeling a little better, then woke up again at 2:00 AM soaking wet from sweat.  I skipped my swim and slept in, then rolled out of bed at 6:30 this morning feeling perfectly fine.  I dunno.

<3

RunningWithMyDog

RunningWithMyDog, ouch. Glad you're ok. Is that hockey tournament for you of kids?

Kids.

I coach my 9 year old, and then my 12 year old's team is also in it, so we are going to be a busy family.

It's about 3 hours north of Toronto.  If we make it to the finals, the game is on Sunday at 4 pm.

So I'll be very happy if we do well, and I won't be that upset if we don't!

Cyberic

Kids.

I coach my 9 year old, and then my 12 year old's team is also in it, so we are going to be a busy family.

It's about 3 hours north of Toronto.  If we make it to the finals, the game is on Sunday at 4 pm.

So I'll be very happy if we do well, and I won't be that upset if we don't!

Cool!

MTA: I wear SmartWool socks when it's about -15C and below (you're from Canada, so I don't have to convert, for once). Never used Balega so I can't compare. I like my socks, so I don't see why I'd try anything else.

KCRuns

Good morning, my runny friends.

Slipped on ice last night while running home. I was carrying a backpack with my work clothes and shoes, so it took most of the impact, but my bum is still a little bit sore.  Nothing that can't be managed.

I really should have had the spikes on - the temperature was above freezing all day, but was dropping below zero (Celsius) just as I was running home.  As your driving instructor may have told you, bridges ice first.  I was reminded of that yesterday - the hard way.

Today is really warm, though - getting up to about 8 degrees Celsius (46 degrees in freedom units) so I'm going to try to sneak out a little early and go for a nice 12.5 km through various parks.

Then I'm at a hockey tournament up north Friday-Sunday, where it will be both too busy and too cold to get any running done.

P.S.  Is there anything better than Balega socks in the winter?

In the winter, I tend to walk over the bridges unless they've been salted.

I wear SmartWool socks and they've kept my feet warm enough.  I saw someone on here (last week I think) suggest using duct tape over the mesh toes on your shoes, it helps keep your toes dry in you step in a puddle, blocks the wind, and I noticed it trapped heat in the toe box of my shoes.  I had not had cold toes without the tape, but I did notice they were toasty warm with the tape.

RunningWithMyDog

P.P.S. I just realized that my remark about Balega socks could be interpreted the wrong way.

What I meant was I absolutely love them.  I no longer worry about stepping in puddles - my feet may get wet, but they don't ever feel cold.

zzyzx

Remember last week when I set a record on the stair challenge and wondered if that was the new normal? Well I was over 40 minutes today alas, but 40:08 would have been my record if it weren't for last week so go me.

Oh and lat, long pull, leg sled.

Half Crazy K 2.0

RWMD, are you wearing the wool blend Balegas? They are nice. I need to remember to take my new pair out of the car aka new shoes storage area.

RunningWithMyDog

RWMD, are you wearing the wool blend Balegas? They are nice. I need to remember to take my new pair out of the car aka new shoes storage area.

Yep, the wool ones.

A couple of years ago, I was rummaging through a drawer in the basement and found three pairs I forgot I had.

It was like Christmas in January.  I was so happy.