Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES: The streak ends today (Read 37 times)

onemile

Usually there is a reduction in volume when working at "R" pace velocity. I'm not sure there are many who can carry near maximum mileage and run at maximum speed concurrently. I mean I'm sure there are, but those folks are the exception, not the rule....generally speaking that is. Or maybe you're right and it is the speed work, I'm just some dude from the internet, not a coach. 

This is a good point. Maybe at 50mpw you would be okay?

Or maybe we are just too old for this shit.

LRB

Jealous of all of you getting big snowstorms. No, not really. Cold but no snow here and it can stay that way. I am over it.

From my run last night

That's a great shot.

delicate flower

'Morning.  It is snowing and thundering out.  Weird.  We're supposed to get up to 20".  Yikes.

I just crawled out of bed...so damn tired.  Back to training today with a spin session on the schedule.

<3

Cyberic

I find those R pace intervals to beat me up more than any other workout.  I was so sore yesterday and walking like a cripple

Hey do you want to follow the Addie Bracy plan?  I can give you the workout for tomorrow. Our goal HM is the same day.

That would be real cool, but sometimes her workouts are hard to fit in my schedule. Like your workout from yesterday just doesn't fit in 35 minutes, and even in 40 it's a big stretch. I'd have to switch from my current mindset which is "Just run and try to get some quality done while you're at it" to a "I'm really working out, I have to rearrange my schedule around running" mindset.

But I'm still curious of what she has planned for you tomorrow.

LRB, yeah, cutting down on mileage sure is smart when running that fast, but even then I'm not sure: I did not run Monday, ran the 12 x 193m on Tuesday out of less than 5 miles total, didn't run yesterday, and I still feel the groin issue in an alarming way with that low mileage.

Like you, I'm no coach and I don't know, but I think I'll err on the side of caution since I doubt I'd break a world record even if I trained perfectly.

LRB

I did not run Monday, ran the 12 x 193m on Tuesday out of less than 5 miles total, didn't run yesterday, and I still feel the groin issue in an alarming way with that low mileage.

Aren't you carrying north of 250 miles a month and over 60 a week? It's your training not mine so I'm not giving you a hard time over it but that wouldn't be considered low miles for me.

onemile

Aren't you carrying north of 250 miles a month and over 60 a week? It's your training not mine so I'm not giving you a hard time over it but that wouldn't be considered low miles for me.

70 a week I think. But he was referring to the days prior and post workout. But you can't expect to not have that accumulated fatigue and have that cured by a rest day or two...

onemile

That would be real cool, but sometimes her workouts are hard to fit in my schedule. Like your workout from yesterday just doesn't fit in 35 minutes, and even in 40 it's a big stretch. I'd have to switch from my current mindset which is "Just run and try to get some quality done while you're at it" to a "I'm really working out, I have to rearrange my schedule around running" mindset.

But I'm still curious of what she has planned for you tomorrow.

Yeah, most of my workouts are on the long side and it would be hard to fit any of them into 35 minutes

Tomorrow's run is:

2 mile warm up
                3 mile tempo (~6:45 - 6:55 area)
                (3 minutes rest)
                12 x 1 minute on, 1 minute off - 1 min segments at 10k effort and the off segments at normal run pace.
                1 mile cool down
                Planned: 9.00 mi

LRB

70 a week I think. But he was referring to the days prior and post workout. But you can't expect to not have that accumulated fatigue and have that cured by a rest day or two...

Yeah you're right, I was looking at volume, not a specific workout.

In any case, he's good with figuring these things out, and this will be no different. 👍

Cyberic

Smile For me either. Like onemile said, I was referring to the past four days. When I was playing hockey, I was running 30 miles per week and still killed my groin pretty bad.

I'm not giving up 100% on speed, I just will make sure the groin is 100% recovered before I do another hard workout full of 200s, and not necessarily do it next Tuesday because it's on the schedule, and I'm pretty sure I will not be 100% recovered.

Maybe I could alternate one week of 200s and one week of 800s.

I'll see. But I'm not running 200s at the end of my tempo today, even if I feel good at the end because it's when I cool down that it hurts.

Cyberic

Yeah, most of my workouts are on the long side and it would be hard to fit any of them into 35 minutes

Tomorrow's run is:

2 mile warm up
                      3 mile tempo (~6:45 - 6:55 area)
                      (3 minutes rest)
                      12 x 1 minute on, 1 minute off - 1 min segments at 10k effort and the off segments at normal run pace.
                      1 mile cool down
                      Planned: 9.00 mi

Yeah, that would mean a mindset shift to serious training. Thanks for the thought. It's appreciated.

onemile

Yeah, that would mean a mindset shift to serious training. Thanks for the thought. It's appreciated.

To be honest... I haven't been feeling like it much myself

Not so much the workouts though - I like the workouts (that is weird to say for me) - it's the day after day of running 8 or 9 miles and not having a rest day each week and having 16 mile long runs.  I accept this as part of marathon training but not wanting to do that is why I'm not training for a marathon right now. Yet I have to do it anyway

Cyberic

2 x 2 miles@Threshold with 2 minutes jog in between

~ 6:32 pace for the 2 milers

Cyberic

To be honest... I haven't been feeling like it much myself

Not so much the workouts though - I like the workouts (that is weird to say for me) - it's the day after day of running 8 or 9 miles and not having a rest day each week and having 16 mile long runs.  I accept this as part of marathon training but not wanting to do that is why I'm not training for a marathon right now. Yet I have to do it anyway

There isn't that much difference between actually following a plan, and just doing my thing, since "my thing" is greatly inspired by plans. Do the differences in structure make a real difference come race day? I don't know. Probably some, as they go through great lengths to balance the whole thing, whereas I do not.

onemile

There isn't that much difference between actually following a plan, and just doing my thing, since "my thing" is greatly inspired by plans. Do the differences in structure make a real difference come race day? I don't know. Probably some, as they go through great lengths to balance the whole thing, whereas I do not.

I think it's the volume/time spent more than the structure that I dislike

Your workout today was pretty similar to my 2x15 min last Friday

No more marathons

And waste an opportunity to run fast with that force at your back? Come on, you might PR that bitch. 

Well, the weather wasn't as bad as projected so I did the workout at lunch time instead of waiting till after work and hitting the treadmill at the gym.

Temp was low 30's but the wind was only about 15 mph or so.

And yeah, the first half of each mile was mostly into the wind, and I was flying in the second half.

Did manage to hit the paces I was looking for - so all is good.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!