Beginners and Beyond

SunDAILIES: Emphasis on Sun (Read 36 times)

LRB

So apparently, Garmin devices have two recording methods; smart recording and every second recording.

Smart recording will only record data points when there are changes in direction, speed, heart rate or elevation. Meanwhile, Every Second Recording does exactly what it says -- data points will be recorded every second.

This is important because it might be the reason my runs are measured long at the track. After perusing the Garmin forums, I've changed that setting, disabled GLONASS and cleared the GPS cache in my watch. I will jog over to the track this week and see if that solves the issue I've been having since forever it seems.

I'm praying it does, as to say I miss running at the track would be the understatement of the year.

onemile

So apparently, Garmin devices have two recording methods; smart recording and every second recording.

Smart recording will only record data points when there are changes in direction, speed, heart rate or elevation. Meanwhile, Every Second Recording does exactly what it says -- data points will be recorded every second.

This is important because it might be the reason my runs are measured long at the track. After perusing the Garmin forums, I've changed that setting, disabled GLONASS and cleared the GPS cache in my watch. I will jog over to the track this week and see if that solves the issue I've been having since forever it seems.

I'm praying it does, as to say I miss running at the track would be the understatement of the year.

I have always just used the lap button at the track

GC100k

This is important because it might be the reason my runs are measured long at the track

The reason my runs are measured long on my phone app at my local track is that the underlying topo map it uses for elevation has me going up and down the hill the whole time. The track is built on what used to be a steep hill. Add that to imprecision and noncontinuous measurement having me zigzagging a bit more than I actually do and a mile on the app is about 3.8 laps of the track.

Cyberic

The first thing I do when I get a new watch is enable every second recording. I also have Glonass enabled. But since I have not run at a track in ages, I have no idea if thoses settings are any good.

But it does depend on the watch itself also, doesn't it? They have consumer grade GPS chips in there. The quality tolerance is what? 1%? 3%?

Hope those settings help, though.

Cyberic

It was rough but I was well hydrated and fueled when I began and took hydration 6 times during it. I also stopped in the shade a couple of times during the last 30 minutes. Those were not planned stops it's just that when I got in the shade I was like, this feels good!

My RP stops at every.water.stop. All of them. I used to barely ever stop. She keeps me well hydrated Smile

onemile

My RP stops at every.water.stop. All of them. I used to barely ever stop. She keeps me well hydrated Smile

Places to get water are few and far between on my routes. Unless I do the group marathon build up runs.  They have water stops every 3 or 4 miles.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I ran 12 and due to a late start I was running in warmer weather than intended.  I drank 3 pints during and right after the run, but it was far from enough as I still lost 5 pounds.  I need to learn to drink more during my runs, especially as there are ample opportunities to fill my water bottle at drinking fountains.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Cyberic

Places to get water are few and far between on my routes. Unless I do the group marathon build up runs.  They have water stops every 3 or 4 miles.

In that case, she'd buy a bottle.

MTA: the other day she bought a bottle in a machine. 3 bucks. For water. After a couple of sips she wanted to leave the bottle coz she didn't want to run with it. I insisted on carrying it for her. I'm cheap even when it's not my own money

Yeah for the couple of times I’ve actually been on a track I turn auto lap off and manually hit the lap button. I’m not concerned about GPS accuracy there. I have mine on 1 sec recording also. When you all use your watches for longer races do you look at lap pace avg or do you set it to view real-time? Just curious.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Half Crazy K 2.0

Cyberic, I've paid $3 for water, sort of. With tax, water at McDonald's is $2.03. I didn't feel like carrying all the change, so I put it in the donation container. Now that youth football has started, Monday-Friday I can buy one for $1, no tax, at their practice field.

LRB

At 400 meters, my watch will have recorded the lap as .26 miles instead of .24. At 800 meters, .52, and so on. Compound this over a period of two or three dozen laps and the run is totally jacked the F up.

My only options seem to be to run with a stopwatch, which is dumb, considering I'd have to remember all of the splits and manually enter the run. Or run with my 410, dumber, considering what I spent on the 630.

It's been very frustrating to put it mildly. I had a similar issue with my 220 and upgraded to a 620 a month after I bought it. I've refused to do that this time.

The consensus abroad seems to be that it's it's unrealistic to use a GPS watch whilst running in circles and expect accuracy. Most use a stop watch. I used to too. Blah.

KCRuns

This is intriguing (as was Jenny's wave run from the other day). Nicely done.

Thanks! One thing I like about my training plan is the variety in the workouts so far. I’ve done progression runs before over shorter distance, but splitting it in 3rds by time was new.  It was a good run today!

LRB

The first thing I do when I get a new watch is enable every second recording.

I didn't know that this was even a thing until I saw it yesterday.

The watch is fine on any other route and for all other uses. I've not had any other issue with it except for it shutting down in 20 degrees and less. Turning off the vibrating alert solved that.

delicate flower

Won my AG in my triathlon.  15 OA out of 91.

1100 yard swim was tough.  The way it's laid out means 2/3 of it was upstream.    My 200 yard splits are ridiculous.  700 yards slow as hell, 400 yards of flying.  Rank on the swim was 32.  Not bad.

30.28 mile bike went well but it was getting hot.  I tried to stay ahead of the heat by pouring two full bottles of water on me.  20 mph.  Bike rank was 23.

7.1 mile run was in full sun, heat, and humidity.  I grabbed another full bottle of water at the start, carried it in my jersey pocket, and spent the run periodically dumping it on me, plus full cups of more water dumping at each station.  7:31 avg pace with a nice negative split.  Pretty good run in that shit.

Overall I was about 90 seconds slower than last year.  Last year the weather was perfect, and slightly chilly.  I'm happy with my race today considering the heat and my current training load.  Full steam ahead.

AG win was this nifty towel.  DW did the sprint race and got 2nd AG.  WOO HOO!  And she has to run two more hours this evening lmao.

<3

LRB

And she has to run two more hours this evening lmao.

lol

Nice job. Picking up 17 spots is impressive.

Kudos to the MBC, too.