Beginners and Beyond

2017 Race #59 - Gruene (pronounced GREEN) 5K and 10K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2059%20Gruene%205K%20and%2010K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them.     All in all, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

My 59th race of 2017:  Gruene 5K on Sep 9th in historic Gruene, Texas.  My wife did the 5K also. There was also a 10K.  Gruene is near New Braunfels, Texas, and about a 30 minute drive from San Antonio, so did not take us long to get there.   We’d already picked up our packets, so for me it was right off to wandering around getting some photos.

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2059%20Gruene%205K%20and%2010K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them.     All in all, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.  J

BEFORE MY START

My 59th race of 2017:  Gruene 5K on Sep 9th in historic Gruene, Texas.  My wife did the 5K also. There was also a 10K.  Gruene is near New Braunfels, Texas, and about a 30 minute drive from San Antonio, so did not take us long to get there.   We’d already picked up our packets, so for me it was right off to wandering around getting some photos.

First person my wife and I met on arrival was our friend, Bernadette

Historic Gruene Hall; a lot of famous country music stars, and others, got their start at this little venue. 

Various participants, volunteers, etc

Athlete Guild Timer, and our event MC

In the start crowd...

ON THE COURSE

Mother Nature loved our area today.  Weather was pretty nice, with sunshine, low humidity and a nice temp of around 67 degrees for the 8 a.m. start.  For South Texas, 67 degrees in September is Fall weather, lol.  Course for the 5K was out to a nearby neighborhood, a loop through that area and back to the finish.  The 10K folks went past the finish line, down a hill, did an out-and-back and then back up the hill to the finish. I didn’t do the 10K so don’t know how the last part of their course was, but for the 5K portion of the race, very nice route, pretty flat with maybe one or two really mild inclines, good course for those wanting to shoot for a PR. 

For the 5K folks, at this point a bit over halfway for us

This is the guy I was behind at the start crowd, with the 'run inspired" on the back of his shirt.  He was moving so fast here, he blurred my photo... 

We all broke the law and did NOT stop..  

AFTER MY FINISH

Checked my time – 32:18 for the 5K, and 5th in my age group.  Before the race, I’d seen a few of my more speedy friends in my age group, so I knew I would not be getting any award today by default, lol.  After I got my results, wandered around the area getting photos of some of the happy finishers, supporters, etc., and also got a few of some people finishing their respective courses.  Watching some of the 10K finishers cresting that hill before the finish, I noticed the road was still open to traffic – with cars coming from behind the runners – and a couple of times I saw ‘idiot drivers’ get pretty darn close to a couple of the runners.  One of my friends who did the 10K said some drivers were even honking at the runners as they came up behind them.  Good grief.  Don’t know why a portion of the road was not closed for that last finish part up the hill; luckily, everyone made it safely in.

My wife coming into the finish.  She did 47-something...she walks about as fast as I run, lol.

Friend of mine finishing the 10K

Then it was over to the ‘party area’ at Gruene Hall, where there was Kiolbassa sausage, cold beer, fruit and some other goodie, and did I mention cold beer?  Got a sausage and a beer and between munching and sipping, got more photos.

I am with her, lol...rest the legs..

My friends wanted a photo with Gail, since they admired the poor lady who has to put up with me 24-7, lol

My speedy senior citizen friend here was 2nd in his age group for the 5K

My friend Bill, here, was first in his age group in the 10K - 44-something.

Medal winner Bill

Bill did the 10K with his doggie, Duke...who loves the ladies, lol

With Race Director Sherri

EPILOGUE

Very well organized event.  Local area race management company Athlete Guild always does a great job with their events.  After party was really nice, with post-race goodies as mentioned above.  Pretty nice race shirts too.  I do so many events per year, my closet is pretty full, lol, so for this one I got a youth small and gave the shirt to some kid. Definitely would do this one again.  Might even get braver and take on the 10K sometime….maybe….or maybe not. That finish hill looked pretty challenging for an old guy like me, lol. And, being the klutz I am, not sure I’d want to be in a position where those cars were coming up behind me.  My luck, I’d end up as someone’s hood ornament.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for the participants:  all the sponsors, volunteers, law enforcement and EMT folks that were there, et al.  Thanks to Gruene Hall for allowing us use of the property.  Thanks to the patience of the residents of the area we invaded during the race.  Without all of you doing what you do, there would be no events for us to do, so thank you very much for what you do!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt