Beginners and Beyond

Mondailies - Oh well. (Read 38 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I jogged 3 slow miles, just to say I did.  I was planning on 12ish, with some intervals, but my rubbery legs nipped that in the bud by the end of the first mile.  The legs will be game in the morning.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Baboon

delicate flower

'Morning.  Slept 10 hours last night and feel like I got hit by a truck.  My legs, back, neck, and shoulders all hurt.  It's a good pain though.

'Sup.

I was very careful about giving this kid a gentle high five.  Smile

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice pics, Baboon!

I have a run tonight, maybe weights.

Damaris

Morning 

PR- Hope the legs feel better tomorrow

It was down pouring this am when I woke up. Wasn’t up for getting soaked so I headed to the gym. 7mi easy on the mill. 7:41 avg

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Great photos Boon!

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

Taking a RD today. Tired, rain, and lots of stuff to do for the family (kids).

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Nice photos, Baboon.  Good point about the gentle touch with kids.

Raining in central NJ today.  I've never run on a treadmill, so it doesn't occur to me to do so on mornings like this.  I'll have to squeeze in a run after I get home and before my son's 6th grade orchestra concert.  At least it's not going to be hot today.  I could rest, but I'm trying to shift my RD to Wednesdays to align with the upcoming marathon training plan.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning all. Nice weekend of running for me, including a 20 mile trail run yesterday with about 3000' of climbing. I saw two giant coyotes while out which was simultaneously cool and unsettling. Should be able to squeeze 8 in after work today.

Baboon...Congrats on the race. It never crosses my mind to pick easy running races (meaning I don't aim for flat ones), but dang, if I were doing triathlons, I'd sure as heck avoid that kind of elevation! I love the photos - your bike position looks so much more professional than anything I ever got into lol.

Pleasant...Nothing wrong with the occasional easy day!

Docket...enjoy the run!

Jay..I'll have to go hunt through the weekend dailies to see how your race was. That's a quick TM run. I run so slowly on that thing, at least according to it.

Cyberic...Enjoy your rest.

Fred...You've never tried a treadmill? I don't know why but that blows my mind. Some people seem to really like them, but I'd say most runners don't. I'll always choose outside when possible.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred...You've never tried a treadmill? I don't know why but that blows my mind. Some people seem to really like them, but I'd say most runners don't. I'll always choose outside when possible.

I've run on a treadmill at the LRS when trying out different shoes, but that's it.  Never for a workout.  It's not that I actively avoid it, but just that it doesn't occur to me.  For the most part, the climate in central NJ is mild enough that I can always run outside and on the rare times that there's too much snow/ice, then the gym is likely closed anyway.

Nice wildlife spotting with the coyotes.  I think I know what you mean about cool and unsettling at the same time.  Last year a bear was spotted in town and I changed my route to avoid that area.  I figured running was exactly the opposite of the suggested behavior around a bear.  Other than the ubiquitous deer, the biggest thing I've seen on a run is a wild turkey.  The oddest thing was hearing a hissing noise that I couldn't locate until just as I passed the raccoon that had it's head sticking out of the storm sewer as I ran by.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Baboon - Nice pics and congrats on your race!

SIAR - I've  never seen a coyote while running, but I know they're around because I'll hear them at our cabin especially in spring when they're looking for food for the pups.   I can imagine the feeling.

Rest day for me. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If I ever see a coyote in this Southern jungle, I know someone Jumanji'd us...

Damaris

SAIR- Nice trail run! Don’t waste your time looking for my results  The heat got me and I just ended up pacing my buddy.

KCRuns

Good morning!

Baboon, congratulations on your race yesterday!  You did awesome, and that's a crazy amount of elevation!

SIAR, that would be very unsettling to see while I was out running alone.

Thank you all for the PR love yesterday Smile

Tonight I have my group run at the track.  I decided to go with SIAR's suggestion of a dice workout based on effort level.  Everyone who said they are coming tonight is experienced enough to handle different effort levels and they are all about the same pace.

So here's my plan:  1 mile warm up together along the lake path.  Then roll the dice 6x for laps around the track (each rep will equal 1 lap), with at least 60 seconds rest between each rep. Anyone who wants the extra challenge of the hill can add that in at the end if they feel like it.  Then we'll do some cool down laps together.  That should get us about 3-3&1/2 miles total.

Dice Workout from SIAR:

Preferably run on a track, the Dice Workout is a fun way to break up a hard day and is usually reserved for when you are not in a race-specific training period.

For this type of workout, 600-1000m intervals work best. Before each rep, roll a die – each number corresponds to a pace pattern that you’ll run for the entire rep. The paces aren’t exact, rather it’s the effort that counts.

For example:

• 1 = alternate easy / medium / hard every 100 meters
                            • 2 = alternate easy / hard every 200 meters
                            • 3 = run the whole interval at a medium effort
                            • 4 = run the whole interval at a hard effort
                            • 5 = alternate medium / hard every 100 meters
                            • 6 = alternate easy / medium every 100 meters

If the track is empty, then instead of the 6th dice roll, I would pair them up and do this for the last lap, just for the fun of it:  "Another fun variation of this is to pair like-paced runners and have them run laps in opposite directions. The expectation is that they'll finish at the same time, but it can lead to some pretty fun battles down the last 100."

sdWhiskers

A little sore today but not too bad. All last week I had been looking forward to finishing my race yesterday so I could take a few weeks to mentally rest. I'll probably focus more on strength training and less on running for the coming weeks. (Of course, I always say that after a race and then I feel unstructured and need to start training again for something sooner than later...)

I'm also looking into getting a new bike to give me another summer cross training option. My current bike is a mountain bike bought at Walmart circa 1995. It weighs like 10x as much as DH's road bike.

Great job on your race Baboon! and a nice PR KC!

I've seen coyotes a few times when I run in the canyon behind my neighborhood. I usually just stop and watch them do their thing. It's surprising and sad that folks still let their cats go outdoors to basically become snacks.

LRB

SAIR- Nice trail run! Don’t waste your time looking for my results  The heat got me and I just tempoed it in.

FYP.

And yes, that's an actual term we use.