Beginners and Beyond

Penguins Getting Earthy on Wednesday (Read 20 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

April 22 is Earth Day!

Other occasions today:

Administrative Professionals Day or Secretary's Day

Chemists Celebrate The Earth Day

Girl Scout Leaders Day

Food:  National Jelly Bean Day

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today is my "Friday"  I have the next two days off, making for a long weekend, to get out and have some Fiesta fun, yeah!

Sluggish run yesterday.   I went at lunch-time since our computer techs came in and were working on some lines and accidentally knocked all our power out for a while.  So I went to the university gym for a rare lunch-time run.  Uggg, not a great outing.  Really hadn't hydrated that well, it was also very humid - really dead air - and I was very sluggish.   Did the Diploma Dash 5K route and it took me about 35 minutes...usually do that route in about 32 minutes.   Well, today I am back on 'regular' schedule, so will do a run/walk after work as usual.  Hopefully it will go a lot better than yesterday's.

PADRunner

Morning all. Happy Earth Day.

Gym tonight I hope.

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Working from home today, kid has April vacation this week. Going to track practice with my club this evening - planning to get in ~7-8 miles total.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

I'm fasting this morning...wish Scotty hadn't mentioned chocolate.   I have to go get blood drawn shortly (just routine stuff).  I'll take a banana with me so I can eat it as soon as they're done with me, and then run 5 easy miles.

GinnyinPA

Scott - I hope today's run goes better.  Some days just aren't as good.  Being dehydrated doesn't help.

Brilliant - enjoy your five.  Don't let them take too much blood.

PAD - have a good gym workout later.

Lauren - That's a late spring break.  School ends pretty soon, doesn't it?  Or is yours one of the districts that goes until June?  Have fun with your track buddies.

I have four miles to do after we walk Ben.  It keeps threatening rain, so I don't know whether I'll be running indoors or out.

Zelanie

Ginny, I think some of the east coast schools have a week in Feb for "winter" break and a week in April for "spring" break.  I could use another week out here right about now!

Last night I ran most of my friend's Hansons workout with her.  I had to make a couple unscheduled stops, so I ended up with 5 quality miles (she got her full 6 in), total of 11 on the day.  10 tonight.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I have quartet rehearsal tonight, hopefully with four healthy quartet members!!  Our lead and bass have been sick, so I'm hoping they're better and I don't catch anything.  I'm still doing the PT exercises, and they still leave me wobbly-legged, so I guess that's all good.  My knees are hurting a little less, which is DEFINITELY all good.

scotty -- woo-hoo for your long weekend!!  Hope today's run goes better!!

PAD -- hope you get to the gym!!

Lauren -- have fun working from home, and enjoy the group run!!

Brilliant -- I hate blood draws, probably because I have lousy veins.  They always end up taking blood from veins in my hands.  Have a good 5!!

Ginny -- Have a good 4, indoors or out!!

Zelanie -- I could use a spring break too, it's so nice out!!  Unfortunately as a college faculty, I don't get any spring break.  Have a good 10 tonight!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Clearly all the Penguins are out getting earthy ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Ginny - last day of school in our district is June 26 this year! We get a holiday break end of December through New Year's, a February vacation, and an April vacation.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, I had a deposition all day (well, until now).  I have Pilates class and maybe 6 miles, depending on time available after the class.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Afternoon all!  I did another easy 6 today - I think I'm skipping hills this week because I have races 3 of the next 4 weekends and that will be taxing enough.

Scotty - 3 races in one weekend?  You are hardcore

Zel - nice job getting in the hard workout

PAD - enjoy the gym

Lauren - have fun on the group run =D  I'm thinking of joining a running group around here but they seem to be for hardcore runners.

Ginny - toughen up and practice running in the rain =P  What if you have to race in those conditions?

Brill - hope the blood work went well... I generally refuse to fast for those things and tell the doctor that I'm sure my cholesterol and glucose levels are just fine =P

HsM - enjoy quartet rehearsal

DR - glad the depo is over

I've been fiddling around with various marathon training plans.  As much as Hanson's appeals to me I just don't think I have the fitness base for it - and my ankle still gives me issues when I push the pace.  I think I'll modify the HH Intermediate 1 to meet my needs (beef up mileage in the beginning, add a very short 6th day that's a recovery run).

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

GinnyinPA

sapf - I agree that I need to do more training in the rain, but I am a wimp.  So far I've been lucky with my races.

I ended up getting out between showers, arriving home just as the rain started again.  There was a cold wind, but at least we didn't get the snow they had a bit west of here.

Brilliant

Jill - 3 races in 4 weeks?  Yikes!
                                Haha on the bloodwork.  I didn't really have much choice.  Hubby's company pays us for the results by putting $ in our HSA.  I can be bribed. Big grin
                                Your marathon plan sounds good.  You will have to start it in just a few weeks!

Ginny - glad you got a run in between rain showers!  We are expecting rain here tomorrow (good thing, we need it).  But I will probably work my run in around the rain.