Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 34 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

This was a fun race I did once. Only a 5k though. Anything longer would have been just stupid. Or should I say more stupid.

This is why I'm still holding off registering it for the Santa Hustle HM.  It's December 14, so who knows what I'll get. I'll wait the week of in case it turns to shit as soon as I register.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

You would think, but not always. There is a December race that prides itself on not canceling, they have no reason for holding a race in this. I think they did make some course changes, but this seems beyond irrepsonsible. The first repsonders that day had more than enough to keep them busy, they did not need people voluntarily coming out for a race.

Wow. Yeah, that's insane. I get upset when races are canceled, especially when it turns out to not have been a big deal (like the thunderstorms that threatened pretty much every 5K this summer), but that's just crazy.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

This was a fun race I did once. Only a 5k though. Anything longer would have been just stupid. Or should I say more stupid.

I'd actually prefer to run a longer race in conditions like that... then I could use it as a long run. Little point in struggling through all this just for a 5K!

chasing the impossible

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hell I'll run 5-10 miles in crap like that. Slower than a herd of turtles, but I still get it done.

Trails are another animal, with snow or ice on them, it's more like a strength training exercise than cardio - 3 miles on icy or snowy trails with your feet constantly sinking, slipping and slushing feels like 6-9 miles effort-wise.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

bluerun

Super B****

There are events (here at least) where you're running through slush, snow, icy patches and what not and not able to grip the surface and therefore race hard. At that point, you're racing the field for a race time on that particular day, not racing for a PR. My point was that if I was there to race hard and couldn't because of the conditions, I probably wouldn't go.

We clearly feel very differently about such things, as I registered for this on race day.

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

This is why I'm still holding off registering it for the Santa Hustle HM.  It's December 14, so who knows what I'll get. I'll wait the week of in case it turns to shit as soon as I register.

This was a Super Bowl Sunday morning race they ran every year, you figure they assume a good chance of shit weather. The day before was actually beautiful and even bare ground. The snow started coming down overnight/early AM, and continued heavily the rest of the day. So would have even been worse if the race was later. Incidentally I was marathon training and had to add another 6-8 afterwards in the rapidly accumulating snow. Probably the worst part is that there were postrace festivities indoors, so went in to warm up, and took off some layers. Then went back to do the rest of my miles with sweat-soaked base layer, hat & gloves. Fun times.

Dave

DavePNW

Hell I'll run 5-10 miles in crap like that. Slower than a herd of turtles, but I still get it done.

Running in it is one thing, racing in it is a whole other thing.

Dave

Cyberic

Mona Fartlek

Half Crazy K 2.0

I did a trail race in 2018 where it went from snow to sleet to rain in the span of the second loop. Here's the race pictures, you can see the change in conditions. I was terrified every time I had to cross the wooden bridges on the course. I was expecting it to completely frozen.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Running in it is one thing, racing in it is a whole other thing.

Yep, I don't even bother racing in that stuff.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

We clearly feel very differently about such things, as I registered for this on race day.

A lot depends on where you are in your running. I've done an event in blizzard conditions when I couldn't get enough of racing and it was just stupid. No desire to get up early in the dead of winter and go do that again. Freezing temps with good footing is a different story. But that also depends on the objective at that time.

4 stream grade easy pace, right hams still really grumpy from two days ago, that’s okay, it means they needed it.

Cyberic

Hell I'll run 5-10 miles in crap like that.

Not me. I will not run if it's under 50 degrees.

DavePNW

Not me. I will not run if it's under 50 degrees.

And you create your ice beard at home before going out.

Dave

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

A lot depends on where you are in your running. I've done an event in blizzard conditions when I couldn't get enough of racing and it was just stupid. No desire to get up early in the dead of winter and go do that again. Freezing temps with good footing is a different story. But that also depends on the objective at that time.

I actually like the aspect of taking the time out of the equation and just getting to race people to the finish. I've had some memorable ones in those kind of conditions, including having the lead vehicle be a ATV because they couldn't get a car on the road, and another race with the lead vehicle leading runners the wrong way down the finish chute because visibility was so poor. My all-time favorite was a race up in Cleveland where they actually got a snow plow up ahead of the race to clear the streets as we were running.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn